RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Off topic-Stay Safe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11280011-off-topic-stay-safe.html)

MAUS45 11-01-2012 07:29 PM

RE: Off topic-Stay Safe

Wow, it's good to hear that Jo and his mom are OK!!!

Buckeye36 11-02-2012 04:07 AM

That's good to hear.

ausf 11-02-2012 07:10 AM

Isn't Chiefsohn (sp?) from Staten Island?

My wife made it down to check on some people there and they are slowly getting power back, but the Island was hit hard.

EOT 11-02-2012 07:33 AM

Joe has talked to chiefson so he's OKtoo

yellowshaker 11-02-2012 11:00 AM

Thank you all for the concern. We are all ok, though a  bit battered. This storm was a real *****. Seemed like the wind was not planning to stop withuot lots of wreckage left in its wake. We sustained some some damage here...and I'm sad to say, loss of life....but in my neighborhood, the guys I know and myself stod together and watched each others backs. There was damage from the storm, and then in the dark the threat of looters. None got anything from us. Our block has a reputation with the locals as being a neighborhood who believes strongly in the 2nd amendment. There are better places to loot. ;)
In any case, mom says to tell you guys, thank! We do appreciate the concern and it's nice to know we were in your thoughts and prayers. There is now alot of cleanup and evaluation to be done...but the worst is over.

sevoblast 11-02-2012 11:45 AM

Thanks for the update, Joey. After our talk this evening VCO and I are much relieved to know that you and your Mum are OK. That info is a vast relief for us!

yellowshaker 11-02-2012 11:49 AM

I know. The worst thing is no commo. I have told close friends for a long time that we should all have 2 way radios for such an occourance. They laughed at me...til now. So, once funds get better, it is up to Cabelas for good radios for all of us here. The local police are useless in these situations. Instead of helping the people, they try to ticket of arrest them for being out after 6pm. If that ain't some stupid ****, I doon't know what is. Call them if you are getting robbed...umm wait, none of the phones work. DUH!!!!!!!!!!! Good job to all of the *******s in charge of public safety. If this offends anyone...you can all go screw yourselves too.
Yep, I am back to my old self. :D

Panther F 11-02-2012 12:21 PM

Good to hear that you and yours is safe Joe.

~ Jeff

sevoblast 11-02-2012 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sigh. Now Joey, be kind. The local constabulary has I'm sure been stretched to the limit. You think it's rough in your AO? You should be here. That's why we have our own police inside the compound. Say hello to Officer Manya and Officer Melik. Dinner is served. LOL.

yellowshaker 11-02-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks, jeff.

Sev, those 2 look like they are ready to fight to the death! LOL beautiful and dangerous...

sevoblast 11-02-2012 12:59 PM

They will fight to the death and they are trained to attack silently. People think of collies as cute and cuddly pets. Collies were bred to protect the sheep and fight wolves. This pair can both put their paws on Ye'lean'chka's shoulders and look down at her. Big boys for sure. Trust me, to protect the compound and their 'harem', they will indeed fight like all heck. They already have once, and they're still here and the bad guys, what's left of them, are enjoying the splendid hospitality of the State up Kharkov way. LOL.

Pah co chu puk 11-02-2012 01:21 PM

I've seen the pictures on the news, I'm glad that dosen't happen here.

Good to hear from you Joe, I'm happy you and your mom made it through OK.

Stay safe.

Rebellion13 11-03-2012 09:38 AM

Finally we have electricity. This is such a pain when you don't have power, plus we have a well pump so no electric no water either. But it is nothing compared to what others have had to deal with. Will be praying for them.

Cheers
Wade

ksoc 11-03-2012 08:08 PM

Good to hear that so many have made it through the storm.

Those 2 way radios can come in handy. Just be VERY wary of the distance claims. They are line of site, and anything that gets in the way (trees, buildings, cars, etc) cuts that claimed range down. Some radio checks around the neighborhood before the rain is blowing sideways would be in order.

Have a list channels set up with your friends before hand. If you primary is chatty, you can work you way down the list till you find a channel with little or no traffic.

GMSR channels have greater range, access to repeaters, but require FCC permit/license (one per family, 5 years) - that's if you use them.

Make sure you get one that receives NOAA signals, and it can do double duty as backup weather radio.

A hand held HAM radio would have been great in your situation. Hams are the backup communication system the first responders go to when the everything hits the fan. Everybody does not need one, but a one or two on the block would maintain outside world communication till the phones come back up. Again, FCC licensing etc.... but it has gotten a lot easier - no more morse code test!

Live out here in California - if were not burning or shaking, we're sliding - so it pays to prepare.

"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"

Panther F 11-08-2012 02:38 AM

To add insult to injury, storm system Athena is making life more miserable with it's snow. And now forming in the west, the system Brutus.

So, everyone hunker down and be prepared.

~ Jeff