RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Amazing story (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11346326-amazing-story.html)

loves nitro 12-27-2012 12:31 PM

Amazing story

Hi All,
For Christmas I bought two HL tanks, one is a M41A3 Walker Bulldog, the other is a Tauch Panzer lll, I gave the Tauch Panzer to my brother for Christmas. He ran the tank only a few times and now it won't turn on, when I turn on the switch under the tank nothing happens. Before I take this tank apart looking for the problem can any of you give me some tips where I might start to look first in order to find out whats wrong with this tank. Please know that I have never had one of these tanks before, and have never had the top of the tank off, so IM NOT SURE WHAT TO EXPECT TO FIND once I unscrew the top of the tank.
Now for the amazing part of this story, I bought both the Walker, and Panzer from a seller on ebay, his name is Shopersshop, when the tank would'nt turn on I called them, I was told to send them the info via ebay's messageing system, I did that also. Today he called me on the phone, and he is sending me another Tauch Panzer lll, AND I can KEEP this one as well, thats really pretty good, he's very honest, and really does care about customer satisfaction. Anyway any help getting this tank up and running will be greatly appriciated, I don't think it is anything major as it worked fine on minute, and the next it just would'nt turn on.
Paul :D
PS, I made sure the batteries were fully charged

harleridr 12-27-2012 12:45 PM

RE: Amazing story

Hi,
did you try swapping batteries?
Harle

loves nitro 12-27-2012 12:53 PM

Yes I did, still no luck.
Paul

FreakyDude 12-27-2012 01:20 PM

ok if there is juice in the batteries and it won't turn on then you need to verify the battery is charged, do you have a multi meter? you are going to have to trace where you lose power. I am guessing one of the wires has broken off or there is a cold solder joint somewhere. Check the reciver crystals and make sure they are seated properly, then check the RX18 board and make sure everything is plugged in and seated well. then get your meter out and start at the battery, then the swict then the power cobles going into the rx18 etc

Quote:

ORIGINAL: loves nitro

Hi All,
For Christmas I bought two HL tanks, one is a M41A3 Walker Bulldog, the other is a Tauch Panzer lll, I gave the Tauch Panzer to my brother for Christmas. He ran the tank only a few times and now it won't turn on, when I turn on the switch under the tank nothing happens. Before I take this tank apart looking for the problem can any of you give me some tips where I might start to look first in order to find out whats wrong with this tank. Please know that I have never had one of these tanks before, and have never had the top of the tank off, so IM NOT SURE WHAT TO EXPECT TO FIND once I unscrew the top of the tank.
Now for the amazing part of this story, I bought both the Walker, and Panzer from a seller on ebay, his name is Shopersshop, when the tank would'nt turn on I called them, I was told to send them the info via ebay's messageing system, I did that also. Today he called me on the phone, and he is sending me another Tauch Panzer lll, AND I can KEEP this one as well, thats really pretty good, he's very honest, and really does care about customer satisfaction. Anyway any help getting this tank up and running will be greatly appriciated, I don't think it is anything major as it worked fine on minute, and the next it just would'nt turn on.
Paul :D
PS, I made sure the batteries were fully charged

ausf 12-27-2012 02:04 PM

It's time to crack the hull and start poking around.

You'll figure it all out in short order and with a few google seaches you'll find a whole bunch of mods you can practice as you will will have a set of spares for everything.

It was nice of them to send out a free replacement, but it was also probably a cost cut too. The actual tank is about $30-35 wholesale before shipping. Instead of paying the freight to get it back to him (he doesn't need it sitting around) it's easier to have you keep it. I had a vendor tell me to keep an aircompressor (leaky tank seal) while he gave me a full refund I didn't even ask for, instead of accepting a return. It promotes goodwill.

loves nitro 12-27-2012 02:11 PM

I took the tank apart, and I don't need a meter to find the problem, the Multi Function Unit is FRIED, and I mean FRIED, especially where the motor leeds go into the multi function unit, it looks as if someone literally held a lighter to the multi function unit, and the motor leeds going into the multi function unit. It even burned the side of the tank where the multi function unit sits. So I know I need to order a multi function unit, but what else? Should I order a complete new set of wires as well, and could that have damaged anything else? Also what could have caused this? My brother told me the tank was running fine, then he shut it off, and when he went to run it again it would'nt start up!! But you can smell that burning smell it's real strong, when I first brought the tank down stairs I thought the cloths dryer was starting to burn up. thats how bad the burn smell is. Any advice on what I should order to fix this problem will be GREATLY APPRICIATED.
Paul [:@] [:@][:@]

ausf 12-27-2012 02:21 PM

Those RX-18s get pretty hot, especially with a load on them. You'll find at least removing the cover will help get some air on it, but it you plan on running it hard or putting in stronger motors, you'll want to add a fan. Don't toss it, you may find a bad solder and be able to salvage it.

loves nitro 12-27-2012 02:44 PM

The whole multi function unit is burned up, along with the motor leeds that go into the multi function unit, it's all melted, I can't for the life of me figure out how my brother burt the multi function unit, and motor leeds up so badly!! I would'nt be a bit suprized if the motors are burnt up as well. If you guys can tell me what new up-grade parts I should put in along with a new multi function unit, and probebly a new set of wires. I know Mato sells the multi function unit along with the RX-18 board, those will for sure need to be ordered, I will also order the up-graded metal gear box, but what else?
Paul

Green Amphibian 12-27-2012 04:38 PM

You could also upgrade to 400 or 480 motors. 3:1 gear downs, steel gears in the transmissions, etc. You could also upgrade the electronics to a hobby level radio and operating system like the Clark, El Mod, DBC3RC, etc. if you want a tank that will be battle (IR) ready.

Herman

BIGMIG 12-27-2012 05:35 PM

Hello loves nitro,

You know the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words......If you can take a couple of pictures and post them it is very helpfull for others to help you out.

If it burned up a wire going to the motor..or ..to both motors...there may have been a direct short between the board and the motor.

Not knowing what gear box is in the tank without a picture......If it is a metal gear box, it is i guess possible to burn the wires going to a motor if there was a track obstruction and the track sprocket was stalled out.....

Thats was one feature about the plastic gear box..it had a slip clutch which helped to keep from burning something up.

In your case it sounds like it went beyond the drive board.....usualy the board will go before the wires start to melt...( well in the past anyway )

Just for your info....if the tracks or track gets jamed up and can't move and one keeps pushing the control leaver trying to make it go....something is going to give........................Most casses it will be a board.

for what its worth.....

BIGMIG [:o]

loves nitro 12-27-2012 08:00 PM

My Daughter has a photo bucket account, tomorrow I will take some pics of this poor tank, only three days old, and post them here. Yep, Im sure if you guys and gals see the pics you'll be better able to help me out and give me some suggestions on the best way to fix the tank, and the best parts to get.
Paul [:o] [&o]