RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Taigen tank a decent battle tank? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11393387-taigen-tank-decent-battle-tank.html)

Rebellion13 02-01-2013 03:46 PM

Taigen tank a decent battle tank?

To all who would care to comment on asiatam/taigen hulls and how they hold up for battling. The reason that I ask this is I keep going back and forth on a purchase. I was dead set on getting a Tamiya Tiger, but I seem to be having a problem parting with $700 for a toy :eek: As of now I have two HL Tigers just sitting collecting dust, that I have thought of getting an asiatam/taigen lower adding a clark board, waltersons 3:1 and truck load of metal parts. With that being said I could just scrap the two HL's, and go with a full metal Taigen (still add a clark board) and have a decent backyard battle tank, with the occasional hardcore NEAD event. IMO I have listened to the video' sounds of the Tamiya and frankly I kind of like the Clark sounds better or for that matter the DBC3/Benedini. Also I am not sure but does the Taigen full metal have 3:1 gears? I know it has sprockets,tracks etc. So for the people who own one, is it worth it or should I just bite the bullet and go TAMMY?

Cheers,
Wade

Cruiser133 02-01-2013 03:52 PM

RE: Taigen tank a decent battle tank?

I was looking into Taigen as well, but when AAF kicked them to the curb due to reliability issues I am now having second thoughts. The all metal kits look cool though....

Glen B 02-01-2013 04:15 PM

I'll be able to comment on that this spring when I put on on our club's field.<div></div><div>It is on the Jan. 31, 2013 posts of;</div><div></div><div>http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11296235/tm.htm</div><div></div><div>I have done the following, besides painting an Abt 506 colours/markings;</div><div></div><div>Waltersons Gearboxes</div><div></div><div>400 motors</div><div></div><div>SLU conversion to IR</div><div></div><div>HL Upgrade Flash</div><div></div><div>AAF had problems with them, mine came with a broken idler arm which Baron Fel very nicely addressed for me, Karen helped arrange that. IMHO, the big problem for AF was that these were sold to non-hobby people withoutmodellingskillsor resources This is not a good scenario for reliability.</div><div></div><div>I like the quick release upper hull.</div><div></div><div>Mine has plastic tracks (which I wanted) but these are more robust than the HL Tiger I tracks.</div><div></div><div>The track tensioning system appears to be useful, the torsion bar suspension works nicely.</div><div></div><div>If it can be acquired for an attractive price and a person has the skill and resources to upgrade a few things, it changes the picture quite a bit.</div><div></div><div>As I recall, Baron Fel was talking about bringing them in as a kit, less electronics, etc., at a decent price for upgrade byhobbyists.</div><div></div><div>I see a lot of potential in mine, now and look forward to the 2013 season.</div><div></div><div>I could see getting another one, this time I have my eye of the Abt. 505 colours.</div>

Rebellion13 02-01-2013 04:47 PM

Thanks Glen, I actually was looking at that post and that is what got me thinking. I have been going back and forth on a Tamiya, I have the "play" money I just can't part with it lol. I have no doubt I would be happy with a Tamiya. I have built plenty of them including the "king hauler" which is a great build BTW.

Cheers,
Wade

Glen B 02-01-2013 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started some clear coating tonight http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Ronan87 02-01-2013 05:36 PM

What color did you use for the 'metal' of the shovel/hammer/etc?

I quite like it!

ORIGINAL: Glen B

Started some clear coating tonight http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

STO_118 02-01-2013 05:39 PM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">

but when AAF kicked them to the curb due to reliability issues
</span><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">Such as? Never had any issues with them other than the usual Heng Long electronics.

</span>

Baron Fel was talking about bringing them in as a kit, less electronics, etc., at a decent price for upgrade byhobbyists.
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">
The electronics and assembly is not what costs the money. Find a TaiGen dealer who stocks the aftermarket parts and buy the parts you need from them.<br type="_moz" /></span></div>

Glen B 02-01-2013 05:52 PM

<div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">

</span>

Baron Fel was talking about bringing them in as a kit, less electronics, etc., at a decent price for upgrade byhobbyists.
The electronics and assembly is not what costs the money. Find a TaiGen dealer who stocks the aftermarket parts and buy the parts you need from them.<br type="_moz" /></span></div>
Yes, but the Taigens we get here are not IR, so some sort of change has to be made if you want to use them for IR.
<br type="_moz" />

Glen B 02-01-2013 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Ronan87

What color did you use for the 'metal' of the shovel/hammer/etc?

Sorry, I am no paint expert and I mix it myself, until it looks good.

It is made from Tamiya acrylics, Flat Black XF-1 is the main colour with a hint of Metalic Grey XF-56 in there to give it a metal look, plus I think I added a trace of the dark blue, likely XF-50
<br type="_moz" />

Jeff489 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

I have found that "Heinz 57" type tanks are difficult to set up for reliability in battle conditions.  It may take a few months of battling experience to dial them in.  What looks good at home on the workbench or in the backyard doesn't always hold up on the battlefield. 

I suggest you get a stock Tamiya (if you have the funds) as your "go to" battle tank.  Let the second tank be your experimental version.

Rebellion13 02-01-2013 09:00 PM

I have found that "Heinz 57" type tanks are difficult to set up for reliability in battle conditions. It may take a few months of battling experience to dial them in. What looks good at home on the workbench or in the backyard doesn't always hold up on the battlefield.
The major problem HL had in the past was their "spring" suspension which did not hold up too well on rough ground and/ or intense battles. The lower hull was the limiting factor, but now with the Asiatam/Taigen hull, I am wondering if the playing field has become more level. The upper hull in my book.....well that is just eye candy that won't make or break you in battle. So wouldn't setting up a Tamiya be the same? I am asking because I don't know....not that I doubt your word. And if the A/T lower has leveled the field then it will come down to the electronics. But once again there are some really good aftermarket packages then can be used. I am in no way trying to start a debate on which is better, we have seen that way too many times here. I am only trying to get as much insight because to me this is a just a hobby, I am not in it for trophies, money etc. And to me there are more important things then winning and having the best tank out there. I really do enjoy the time spent on here and talking with the people in this hobby. For me it's not the fact that I mind paying the big dollars, it's the fact of I look at my 2yr old son and think if I could save a little on my hobby, I can afford to get him a little something extra.

I have stated in the past about a HL Pershing and how this is a great runner OOB now you add a clark board on DBC and for <300 you can have a pretty darn good tank. Yes the barrel is too short and this and that but they can all be fixed.........And I do have to say though that the Tamiya Pershing really does sound awesome. But I don't care for the Tiger sound all that much......there is a noticeable droning of the engine that to me doesn't sound all that good, but that just might be me.

Cheers
Wade

Jeff489 02-01-2013 10:43 PM

I battle my tanks alot. I see what others drive at battle days. I see what equipment breaks and what equipment doesn't break at battle days. My advice is based on years of my own battle day experience. Ijust don't see very many Heinz 57 tanks that are durable and competitive in battles...especially when they've been assembled by someone new to competitive battling. They are usually "drive on, carry off" tanks. Nothing beats a stock Tamiya Sherman as an entry level battler.

I suggest you ask around at the local club NEAD. Bob and the rest of the club know what equipment will run all day.

Best of luck.

Jeff489 02-01-2013 11:02 PM

Rebellion13 02-01-2013 11:15 PM

Thank you Jeff, I appreciate the feedback. My two choices for a Tamiya would be the Tiger or Pershing. I am leaning towards the Pershing based on a few things.

1. I don't care for the Tiger sounds for some reason and I have two HL sitting collecting dust
which I might upgrade or just go with Taigen and a Clark board

2. The Pershing IMO sounds fantastic and is just a beast, I have experience modeling and assembling Tamiya's so I will have no problem with this kit. And they are really robust

3. No Tamiya Sherman, because I am in the process of building a Mato Sherman w/metal suspension, walterson's gearbox from Immortal Hobbies and a Clark TK22 should make this a nice IR tank.

Thanks Again
Wade

lposter 02-02-2013 01:53 AM

Im no fan of the Asiatam metal hull for the TIger...it pretty much ruined a perfectly good tank for me. Iwould have been better off buting a plastic lower half and just beefing it up myself.

The front "lip"place holder is lame, and the system for attaching the upper hull to the bottom is flakey at best.

Seriously unimpressed with it.... (although maybe newer versions are a whole lot better). Greatest waste of a couple of hundred euros Ive ever made...

p

Panther F 02-02-2013 02:17 AM

Wade, I know what you mean on the 700 bucks. But why not hold on to your cash and look for a used/second hand Tamiya... whatever you find? I'm sure if you wait long enough and look around or even ask Bob (the commander from NJ) you should find what you want.

I just think unless you enjoy tinkering and have a bottomless bank account, you will work twice as hard on something else and have about the same amount of cash into a quality used Tamiya.

JMHO

EDIT: I know what has been said about the Tamiya Sherman BUT, SCHUMO makes a steel plate that installs in the lower hull that really adds the correct weight where it's needed to stabilize the tank for battling and add some metal tracks. PLUS, with a T23 turret you can shake off the little tank look by making it an Easy 8 to go along with your M4A1. :D JAT

~ Jeff

no12skyline 02-02-2013 06:12 AM

Add to that, the reason why AAFTankMusuem is dropping Taigen from their store.

Panther F 02-02-2013 06:56 AM

Anytime you take on a RTR line, there WILL be problems.

~ Jeff

STO_118 02-04-2013 12:28 AM

I am not sure why they are dropping them, but the way people are talking it is like there is some huge problem with them. What products they choose to stock is up to them but from a reliability and quality point of view they are basically the same as Heng Long and at the same price point (Metal upgrade Tigers the exception).

Electronics wise they are the same as Heng Long and will have the same issues as Heng Long. We've only has a few failures and manufacturing issues (for example recoil switch was put on so that the tank would auto recoil constantly) and the usual shipping damage.

<br type="_moz" />

lposter 02-04-2013 01:58 AM

Just out of interest........ if rtr are such a huge hassle, how come there are a variety of suppliers in business in Europe for example, who have only ever sold rtr and have managed to remain in business for many years and seem to have satisfied customers?

p

Rebellion13 02-04-2013 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: STO_118

I am not sure why they are dropping them, but the way people are talking it is like there is some huge problem with them. What products they choose to stock is up to them but from a reliability and quality point of view they are basically the same as Heng Long and at the same price point (Metal upgrade Tigers the exception).

Electronics wise they are the same as Heng Long and will have the same issues as Heng Long. We've only has a few failures and manufacturing issues (for example recoil switch was put on so that the tank would auto recoil constantly) and the usual shipping damage.

<br type=''_moz'' />
The reason is they do not want to be selling this product to someone, who then gets the tank home and within a few hours stops working (and that is exactly what happened). And I understand this, because it then reflects back on the museum that they are selling a faulty product. Where as a Tamiya 99% of the time will work. HL has gotten a lot better, but they still are not quite there yet. I clicked on the "banner" for taigen tanks here just to see what they have and they are still offering the "pantiger" what the H E double hockey sticks. But they do offer the G version which does look nice, now if only they would make a lower hull with a suspension like the tigers we would be golden.

Cheers,
Wade

Strato50 02-04-2013 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

ORIGINAL: STO_118

<br type=''_moz'' />
The reason is they do not want to be selling this product to someone, who then gets the tank home and within a few hours stops working (and that is exactly what happened). And I understand this, because it then reflects back on the museum that they are selling a faulty product. Where as a Tamiya 99% of the time will work. HL has gotten a lot better, but they still are not quite there yet. I clicked on the ''banner'' for taigen tanks here just to see what they have and they are still offering the ''pantiger'' what the H E double hockey sticks. But they do offer the G version which does look nice, now if only they would make a lower hull with a suspension like the tigers we would be golden.

Cheers,
Wade
Thats the one thing keeping me from getting into Panthers; im spoiled by Asiatam / Taigen metal hulls & torsion bars! Sooo nice to have, the drive feel is totally different.

Only my Mato Sherman is "stock hull", but it runs fine.

STO_118 02-04-2013 10:05 PM

Hi Rebellion, thank you for the explanation that does explain it. The original TaiGen tanks released are just Heng Long tanks that were painted. Often these tanks, including the paint scheme was chosen by the original purchaser.

Unfortunately the PanTiger is still a popular tank that sells quite well, hence why it won't die. Some of the newer releases, such as the Early and Late Tigers are in the majority built by TaiGen themselves using their own aftermarket parts. From experience these aftermarket parts are of good quality and manufacture.

Regarding faulty products that is just the way it is with any RTR product whether it be Helicopters, cars or tanks. We don't, for example, stock RTR RC Helicopters despite being great fun to play with large numbers of them arrive in pieces or will fail quickly. More often than not some of the damage, including electronic failures can be traced back to shipping. Being dropped can not only break the tank itself but the shock transfer damage the boards.Although the RX18 fires I've seen are quality control/safety issues.

Tank failure, or any product failure for that matter doesn't really reflect on the business, how the business deals with it that matters more to the customer. I do understand their position though, I've lost money helping customers fix faulty products before and it can be very time consuming dealing with customer complaints.

Tamiya is good in a way because it sells in a kit form, kits suffer far less from damage than a complete tank does. They are also easier to pack and secure.

Without any sort of explantion, random posts can damage a brand without really substantiating the problems encountered.<br type="_moz" />

Rebellion13 02-04-2013 10:08 PM

Thats the one thing keeping me from getting into Panthers; im spoiled by Asiatam / Taigen metal hulls & torsion bars! Sooo nice to have, the drive feel is totally different. Only my Mato Sherman is "stock hull", but it runs fine.
I bought a Mato Sherman a little while back from Phil (God rest his soul) man I miss him. I plan on getting the metal VVSS for it and adding a Clark board, walterson's 3:1 and doing some scratch building with brass for it. My Tiger I plan on the taigen lower, same walterson gears and clark board. Those lower hulls really are a game changer.

Cheers,
Wade

STO_118 02-04-2013 10:17 PM

Hmm I need to pull my finger out and order in those Waltersons boxes to try out. How long were you looking for your Sherman build? As in when do you plan to make it?