RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Hooben T55A control? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11657449-hooben-t55a-control.html)

jrodriguezwang 12-02-2018 11:22 AM

Hooben T55A control?

Hello all,
I recently purchased the Hooben T55 1/16 kit with motors and stuff. It was not a bad kit and I see lotta potentials in it. However this is my first rc tank as I mostly built static ships. Looking at the manual had me wondering, where can I find the CPU for this tank, Hooben's website only has the CESC(radio controller chip). I know their manual is a bit messed up so do I only need the CESC to get the tank running?

I really hate that they don't include electronics in the kit and I never built rc stuff before...

thanks in advance

Cruiser133 12-03-2018 06:56 AM

I believe they use a Clark board now but the original stuff was crap anyway. I ended up using all Tamiya electronics from a Pershing kit. Go to DKLM to get ideas on replacement stuff like speakers and whatnot.

Maccrage 12-03-2018 09:06 AM

You will need a radio receiver and a tank control board.

mcovalsk 12-03-2018 09:36 AM

A well start would be ordering a Clark TK22 or TK24 or Tk60 board. I suggest TK22 as is cheap and probably you will not use the advantages of the TK24/60.
You can order it from Clark directly Welcome to CLARK MODEL or Ozarmour or wherever you want. Be sure it has the T55 sound. all the Tk22 have the same firmware but the sound included are different for each tanks.
You also need a 4/8 channel radio, I suggest the Flysky 8 channels https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-F...2-p-47904.html
You could get the Turnigy 9x at Hobbyking but the latest version looks like has been troubles when one uses several receivers.
Besides you could order a speaker like this, sold out now but pobbably will be in the next future or just a 3 inch speaker and you can buid the speaker box. https://www.dklmrc.com/product/3dp_saitek_speaker
Also a 7,2 battery, I recommend a good NiMh 4000mA is good for a beginner as Lipo needs more knowledge.
I think it's a good start then you will receive more help if neccesary.

Jeff489 12-03-2018 11:57 AM

If you just want to drive the tank around, you can do it with a dual ESC for caterpillar drive. About 70 bucks on ebay here.

If you go with a Clark board TK-22, it's a bit more, at about 120-150 bucks, but has many features. It's a bit complicated to set up though and fragile. Definitely not plug and play.

You could also use Tamiya electronics. Cost much more, at about 400, but plug and play. The simplest and most robust.

I used Tamiya electronics (MF-06 and DMD T-08 (from the KV1 tank)) on my T-55.

sollie 12-03-2018 12:51 PM

Here is the t55 soundset of the Clark tk24 4 ch .
about 125 usd for board , 30 dollars for the radio ( 4ch ) hobbyking

Crius 12-03-2018 02:51 PM

With the limited space in a T55 the Clark is definitely the best bet, and will give you a true hobby grade RC tank. However, if you want to get away really cheap, just to get it rollin' for now, you might think about just throwing in a stock unit, like an RX18 or a Taigen MFU. You can get them used and there's probably a half a dozen guys on this forum that have a set laying around they would part with for cheap, like 35 or 40 bucks is what I see them usually go for. Do you have a transmitter already? Another option, if you already have a minimum 6 channel radio, is the Taigen V3 MFU. I don't think they have a sound module for a T55, but they might have a T34. Those are brand new for about 60 bucks, but you might also have to buy the cables for another 10 or 15.

I'd have to advise doing it right from the start and going with a TK22 (I like the TK20, are those still around, Guys?) and a decent 6 channel TX, like maybe a Flysky i6. But, if you just want to get it rollin' there are cheaper options.

I suppose this would be a good time to warn you that if you stay in the hobby there's no way you'll own just one tank. It can be rather addictive and I can't tell you how many guys I've seen get one, think they'd just have the one, and the next thing you know they've got a dozen or more. It really is a terrific hobby, made up of some really cool guys, so welcome aboard and good luck. Don't hesitate to ask questions, either. The only dumb question is the one that goes un-asked. ;)

Oh yeah, where are you? That can help sort out who's closest to lend a hand. :)

tomhugill 12-04-2018 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff489 (Post 12483314)
If you just want to drive the tank around, you can do it with a dual ESC for caterpillar drive. About 70 bucks on ebay here.

If you go with a Clark board TK-22, it's a bit more, at about 120-150 bucks, but has many features. It's a bit complicated to set up though and fragile. Definitely not plug and play.

You could also use Tamiya electronics. Cost much more, at about 400, but plug and play. The simplest and most robust.

I used Tamiya electronics (MF-06 and DMD T-08 (from the KV1 tank)) on my T-55.

if you're paying 70 for a dual channel esc, 150 for a clark and 400 for Tamiya something's going very wrong!

I used Tamiya in one of my t55s, the first gen ones with the Tamiya style recoil and elevation.

In my my more recent one I use a tk60, but a tk40 would be ideal, they can run 3s, have much better drive than the 24 or 60 and take up less space.

Jeff489 12-04-2018 10:02 AM

[QUOTE something's going very wrong! ][/QUOTE]

When you say "wrong" it isn't my numbers. My sources are accurate for shipping to the US.

I've provided a link for the dual ESC that shows it costs $65 (US) plus an additional $12 (US) for shipping. Total price...$77.00
A TK-22 board costs about 120-150. An Ebay search reveals the real cost is $110.07, plus an additional $7.94 for shipping. Total price....$118.01
A set of Tamiya electronics for a KV series would consist of a communication cable ($7.50) an MF-06 ($200.00) and a DMD T-08 ($250.00) Total price...$457.50.

I believe my statements of fact are all viable alternatives for controlling the OP's tank...and I have personal experience with each system...with the T-55 by Hooben.

It remains for the OP to choose which is right for their particular application.

Pcomm1.v2 12-04-2018 11:24 AM

What he said :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...1a78c9c7e2.jpg
Hooben T-55 RC IR and HL Abrams Hybrid, both using Tamiya's RC IR electronic package.

Tips.
The aforementioned costs are USA accurate, per my build experiences. Used the TK-22 in a Hooben T-55, a non user friendly setup, but doable. Later upgraded
the T-55 to a Tamiya electronics package for greatly improved operation performance. Prefer the Tamiya KV/JS DMD/MF controllers for their ease of setup, diesel engine sound effects and robust reliability. I have successfully used the Tamiya KV/JS electronic package in a Taigen T-34, HL ZTZ 98/99, HL Abrams, HL Sherman (Tamiya Pershing Controllers), Tamiya Leopard 1 and a Tamiya Gerard Flakpanzer. The Tamiya controller approach is a fun, rewarding build in my opinion if the build budget is not your first concern.
John

tomhugill 12-04-2018 02:59 PM

I didn't say your prices were wrong per say, but if you're paying them that kit you're doing something wrong, you can get an open panzer board with two ESC for well under $70, that gives you servo recoil, elevation and rotation as well as motorised elevation and rotation.

Clark sells the tk22 for $90 and you can get the tk24 for the price you quote from other vendors

Regarding tamiya electrics, they're outdated and whilst the drive is good and the sound on the kv-1/js-2 mfu is decent they have reliability issues and compared to other systems on the market they represent incredibly poor value for money.

Clark boards have come a long way and with the sbus 10 channel system the controls are much easier, left sticks just elevation and rotation, everything else is on switches.

The new tk40s high frequency ESC give slow speed control better than tamiya, better sound and way more other features, all for less than half of what the tamiya system would cost. Also clark actually offers after sales service, unlike tamiya who no longer offer the lifetime warranty they used to.

bhop73 12-04-2018 03:10 PM

I have had good experiences with clark tk22 in my PzIII and Panther. I'd go with clark personally. It's not that difficult to set up. I'm pretty much an electronics noob myself and got it running pretty easily. (with the help of the internet)

I bought a T55 many years ago with the electronics included. I keep reading about how they suck, but i'll probably try them anyway since I have them already. If they really do suck, then i'll probably go with the clark board myself... if I ever actually build the thing :(

Pcomm1.v2 12-04-2018 05:36 PM

“Regarding tamiya electrics, they're outdated and whilst the drive is good and the sound on the kv-1/JS-2 mfu is decent they have reliability issues and compared to other systems on the market they represent incredibly poor value for money.”

Different opinion.
The classic Tamiya WWII DMD/MF electronic controller package is plug and play, a proven value, reliable and no other system comes close to its solid, lasting performance. As to a dated system, it is dated in that it was superbly engineered over a decade ago and I have a 14 year old Tiger IE build that runs and looks as good as it did when newly built in 2004. No other rc (IR) tank electronics system can match its performance on any level and Asian poor, fragile, quality and cheapness is not a valid selling point! It does seem the Tamiya Type 10 and Tamiya Abrams modern rc tank kits offer less than stellar electronics packages, but then again those suspect controller systems seem suspiously CLARK like, LOL. Tamiya USA will still test and replace as necessary faulty NEW kit electronics, if the kit or parts are purchased in the USA :)
John

Jeff489 12-04-2018 08:31 PM

but if you're paying them that kit you're doing something wrong
I'm sure a thrifty individual can always find ways to get more for less. To each their own.

Rad_Schuhart 12-05-2018 04:43 AM

Oh, another topic with the Tamiya fanatic with his neanderthal pieces of ancient technology against the rest of the modern world.
Im going to prepare some popcorns... Its going to be fun.

Pcomm1.v2 12-05-2018 12:54 PM

One of the Three Stoges Writes.

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart (Post 12483695)
Oh, another topic with the Tamiya fanatic with his neanderthal pieces of ancient technology against the rest of the modern world.

Hello Rad Curly Stooge, (the self proclaimed Hi Tech Low End RC Tank Expert),
Question? Are you a genetic arschloch or are you self taught?
Maybe Santa will fix your Tamiya RC Tank Kit envy this year?
Best of luck, LOL.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
John

Rad_Schuhart 12-05-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 (Post 12483801)

Hello Rad Curly Stooge, (the self proclaimed Hi Tech Low End RC Tank Expert),
Question? Are you a genetic arschloch or are you self taught?
Maybe Santa will fix your Tamiya RC Tank Kit envy this year?
Best of luck, LOL.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
John

Hi John, the jester of the rc tanks forum.
I never proclaimed myself any expert of anything, indeed Im far to be.
Tamiya RC tank kit envy? Well, I have 4 Tamiya tanks, I dont want more. Thanks to God I sold the electronics of those kits time ago.

Im thirsty of more of your delicious tears and Id like to friendly debate more with you. You said:
" No other rc (IR) tank electronics system can match its performance on any level "

Lets discuss for example about IR battling. In the electronics I am using (Im not going to say the name, because you will say that I am a vendor when I am not) I can do this:
I can fully configure how many hits my tank can take (from one to a hundred)
I have machine gun IR combat too that damages soft skinned vehicles or infantry (with impact sounds too)
I can repair tanks.
I can set how much ammo the tank is carrying to match the real tank (For example in my Sherman I put 80 rounds) once you run out you have to go to refill the amo.
I can use normal explosive rounds (each hit takes one live) or piercing ammo (takes two)
I can also set cannons like flak or a luchs if I want.
Friend and foe selection, you can set if you can hit or not your own band.
"Black box" you can read after the battle or in your radio when you are battling a report of the battle. Who hits you and so on.
And fully compatible with all the brands at the same time.(Battling with tamiya, heng long, taigen and all the aftermarket boards is possible at the same time)

And you? What can you do with your electronics that me, mere mortal I cant?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for you too.

mcovalsk 12-05-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart (Post 12483695)

Me too LOL

Pcomm1.v2 12-05-2018 03:03 PM

Stooge 2 writes.

Originally Posted by mcovalsk (Post 12483822)
Me too LOL

How is that Immigrant Caravan and living in TJ working for you?
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
John

Pcomm1.v2 12-05-2018 03:07 PM

Good for you.

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart (Post 12483814)
Hi John, the jester of the rc tanks forum.
I never proclaimed myself any expert of anything, indeed Im far to be.
Tamiya RC tank kit envy? Well, I have 4 Tamiya tanks, I dont want more. Thanks to God I sold the electronics of those kits time ago.

Im thirsty of more of your delicious tears and Id like to friendly debate more with you. You said:
" No other rc (IR) tank electronics system can match its performance on any level "

Lets discuss for example about IR battling. In the electronics I am using (Im not going to say the name, because you will say that I am a vendor when I am not) I can do this:
I can fully configure how many hits my tank can take (from one to a hundred)
I have machine gun IR combat too that damages soft skinned vehicles or infantry (with impact sounds too)
I can repair tanks.
I can set how much ammo the tank is carrying to match the real tank (For example in my Sherman I put 80 rounds) once you run out you have to go to refill the amo.
I can use normal explosive rounds (each hit takes one live) or piercing ammo (takes two)
I can also set cannons like flak or a luchs if I want.
Friend and foe selection, you can set if you can hit or not your own band.
"Black box" you can read after the battle or in your radio when you are battling a report of the battle. Who hits you and so on.
And fully compatible with all the brands at the same time.(Battling with tamiya, heng long, taigen and all the aftermarket boards is possible at the same time)

And you? What can you do with your electronics that me, mere mortal I cant?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for you too.

Irrevelent IR features, nothing to discuss. LOL.
John

cleong 12-05-2018 04:26 PM

Tamiyas are horribly old and outdated solid-state electronics in a programmable microchip world. Get rid of them while you can!

(I'd love for more people to replace their Tamiya electronics for other boards, so I can buy them for cheap. Anyone with a set of KV electronics for sale? ;))

Rad_Schuhart 12-05-2018 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 (Post 12483838)

Irrevelent IR features, nothing to discuss. LOL.
John

As expected, again you are amazed by the superior IR features of the aftermarket boards that your tamiya cant even dream of, so you cannot articulate any decent answer. Also I forgot to say that if you wanted/needed more IR features you can contact the manufacturer and they will probarbly add it.Now try to call tamiya, lol.

But hey, you are the one that you said the tamiya electronics are superior in every aspect... If so, cmon dont be shy, please tell us where so we can discuss... Please enlight me so I can friendly debate with you. Dont do like an ostrich and hide the head under the ground.

We are all waiting.

bhop73 12-06-2018 10:56 AM

I don't think the OP is coming back..

Crius 12-06-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by bhop73 (Post 12484012)
I don't think the OP is coming back..

Can you blame him?

Pcomm1.v2 12-06-2018 12:08 PM

OK

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart (Post 12483919)
As expected, again you are amazed by the superior IR features of the aftermarket boards that your tamiya cant even dream of, so you cannot articulate any decent answer. Also I forgot to say that if you wanted/needed more IR features you can contact the manufacturer and they will probarbly add it.Now try to call tamiya, lol.

But hey, you are the one that you said the tamiya electronics are superior in every aspect... If so, cmon dont be shy, please tell us where so we can discuss... Please enlight me so I can friendly debate with you. Dont do like an ostrich and hide the head under the ground.

We are all waiting.

OK, hold your breath RAD! Or not! Please explain how your added on RC IR features and benefits help one to achieve victory in an RC IR Tank Fight? Well they don't. What actually is of proven RC IR tank value centers on hardware (the model) durability, reliability and enhanced operating performance; per my experience and studying other modelers RC IR tanks. The best benefits are achieved with improved tank running gear; ball bearings in the road wheels, gearbox bracing, no fail electronic controllers, larger motors, hull braces combined with a robust build. WOW, I know on the spot who has knocked out my RC IR tank during a backyard rc ir battle game and do not need a digital read out to advise me of that fact, LOL, nor does anyone else, LOL. That is called situational awareness, a skill that is more important than your digital read out aid, LOL.

A FAIR Challenge Offer for RAD CURLEY (Will the Curley Electronics Beat Tamiiya Challenge):
To give you a chance to prove the reliability, durability and honesty of your electronics package claims, just mail me at your expense a complete RC IR set of your superior to Tamiya, Superman, "kraut wonder RC IR electronic package weapon system". I will set it up in a new built Tamiya Abrams M1A2 RC IR Kit. I will then run your system side by side comparing it to a stock built Tamiya RC IR Abrams and later I will report back to you on which system has faired the best via photos and video.

FYI, RAD CURLEY, Without any supporting photos and or video on rc ir tanks, from you, all your claims are suspect and thus BS. Not providing images means it didn't happen in cyber world and it makes you seem so much less than you claim to be.

Not holding my breath on RAD Curley, but RCU message me for my mailing address RAD!

Enjoy, John

Doing what rc tanks do​​​​​: ​