RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   M4A3E8 76mm Sherman (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/8469862-m4a3e8-76mm-sherman.html)

googlydoogly 02-12-2009 05:46 PM

M4A3E8 76mm Sherman

4 Attachment(s)
Finally finished my Easy-Eight, all I need to do is tweak the stowage gear setup, but she's pretty much done. The Easy-Eight has always been a favorite of mine, and when I found that Nick Aguilar is selling his T-23 turret kit, I immediately jumped at the chance of modding my old old oooooold M5 105mm Sherman. :D

I up-armored my Sherman as well.
Attachment 2238691
Attachment 2238692
Attachment 2238693

And the exhaust-deflector, also from Nick.
Attachment 2238694

Once I buy some scale ropes and wires from etoarmour, she'll finally be 100% complete!

Rebellion13 02-12-2009 05:57 PM

RE: M4A3E8 76mm Sherman

very very nice, looks like it is actually cast with the weld seams and all,:D

Pzjgr 02-12-2009 06:07 PM

Awesome job. Reb is right, really looks like cast with the weld seams.

nogoer 02-12-2009 06:12 PM

I also have to point out the great job on recreating the casting! I'm working on my hl pershing and would love the technique you used to give the casted look to her?

edoubleaz 02-12-2009 06:15 PM

You've inspired me to rebuild my Easy Eight for the 3rd time!!!!

pattoncommander 02-12-2009 06:26 PM

Great job, looks so real. Nice touch on the bow gun detailing. Small guage packaging string is good for hemp ropes used on tanks. Just stain it a bit darker.

SCAT PATTON 02-12-2009 07:18 PM

WOW - looks great!

Thanks a lot.....now I need to redo mine [:'(] :)

Steve

blitzkrieg65 02-12-2009 07:36 PM

Really nice googlydoogly

It looks like this will be the year of the Sherman Posts!:D

The Blitz

bowlman 02-12-2009 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this one im working on Phil. Nice one googly I mite just do that one after I finish the other projects .

pattoncommander 02-12-2009 08:49 PM

Googly, who did the up armored Sherman belong to? I've seen a photo of it before but no idea what unit had it, what time frame and where it was. Very interesting....too bad more of them couldn't have had more protection. Great looking tank!

maxs 02-12-2009 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
great job can i us it in the spring for my 1/16 lcm still need to paint it as soon as the weather gets warmer

edoubleaz 02-12-2009 10:03 PM

Maybe this will help. Now that I have to rebuild the friggin thing!!!!!!!!!

http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK...2976_HVSS.html

timslocum 02-13-2009 01:01 AM

That is one serious Sherman Googley! I'll reiterate what others have said, you skills are at a high level. With all that extra weight, did the real tanks overwork their engines? I wonder what the first Tiger commander thought when he saw one of these.:D

Panther F 02-13-2009 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: timslocum

That is one serious Sherman Googley! I'll reiterate what others have said, you skills are at a high level. With all that extra weight, did the real tanks overwork their engines? I wonder what the first Tiger commander thought when he saw one of these.:D
He laughed and then shot it full of holes! :D

googlydoogly 02-13-2009 10:38 AM

Thanks guys for the comments. It's my favorite tank to date.

Nogoer, I didn't do anything to the turret to give it a cast look. Nick's T-23 turret is THAT great. :D But with the tank hull, I used a stiff brush and white glue mixed with pastels and milliput to create the texture and weld seams.

Pattoncommander, apparently, several units started doing this kind of armor mods in early '45. Most notable is the 4th Armored. Creighton Abrams' last tank, an M4A3E8 76mm (Thunderbolt VII) had this modification. It also had spaced armor on the side of the turret, but I like the T-23 profile, so I opted not to put it on. There are also pics of 11th Armored Shermans that had this mods, like Flat-foot floozy. Also, I think it was in Belton Cooper's book that I read about using armor plating cut from knocked out Panthers and other tank to weld extra armor around the Shermans. So I have a sneaking suspicion that this type of mod is more widespread than previously thought of.

The book, Modelling the US Army M4 (76mm) Sherman Medium Tank, by Steven Zaloga have several pictures of Easy-Eights in this configuration. :)

Bowlman, nice Firefly! I love that tank. One day (soon hopefully) I'll be able to get one courtesy of Mato toys. :D

Edoubleaz. great looking Easy-Eight! That chicken wire bolted on the armor is a mod that I wanted to do, but I was unable to find anything suitable to use. :(

Timslocum, the added weight probably overworked the engines on the Sherman, but the maintenance units have done such an extraordinary work keeping these tanks ready to go.

Panther, that's why I have a Pershing to cover my Easy-Eight. And hopefully, I'll have a few more Shermies to make the odds a little bit better for the US. :D

Panther F 02-13-2009 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: googlydoogly

Thanks guys for the comments. It's my favorite tank to date.

Nogoer, I didn't do anything to the turret to give it a cast look. Nick's T-23 turret is THAT great. :D But with the tank hull, I used a stiff brush and white glue mixed with pastels and milliput to create the texture and weld seams.

Pattoncommander, apparently, several units started doing this kind of armor mods in early '45. Most notable is the 4th Armored. Creighton Abrams' last tank, an M4A3E8 76mm (Thunderbolt VII) had this modification. It also had spaced armor on the side of the turret, but I like the T-23 profile, so I opted not to put it on. There are also pics of 11th Armored Shermans that had this mods, like Flat-foot floozy. Also, I think it was in Belton Cooper's book that I read about using armor plating cut from knocked out Panthers and other tank to weld extra armor around the Shermans. So I have a sneaking suspicion that this type of mod is more widespread than previously thought of.

The book, Modelling the US Army M4 (76mm) Sherman Medium Tank, by Steven Zaloga have several pictures of Easy-Eights in this configuration. :)

Bowlman, nice Firefly! I love that tank. One day (soon hopefully) I'll be able to get one courtesy of Mato toys. :D

Edoubleaz. great looking Easy-Eight! That chicken wire bolted on the armor is a mod that I wanted to do, but I was unable to find anything suitable to use. :(

Timslocum, the added weight probably overworked the engines on the Sherman, but the maintenance units have done such an extraordinary work keeping these tanks ready to go.

Panther, that's why I have a Pershing to cover my Easy-Eight. And hopefully, I'll have a few more Shermies to make the odds a little bit better for the US. :D

NO DOUBT!! I need to get my current project finished so I can move onto my Thunderbolt. :)

swathdiver 02-13-2009 02:11 PM

Great work and Nick's parts certainly offer a level of detail that is second to none!

hdbeast 02-13-2009 04:03 PM

Another great tank build googlydoogly, your quality and speed at building tanks is outstanding.

Gary

swathdiver 02-13-2009 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Panther F
He laughed and then shot it full of holes!

If he got around it! One instance I read about the enemy round dislodged the additional plate but did not penetrate. Another one kept getting hit, the rounds cracked the regular plate starting a fire but didn't penetrate.

The official use of additional armor was done in January and March of '45 in Pattons Army. They used knocked out Shermans and Panthers. The batch up-armored in March used 7th Army knocked out shermans for parts.

The additional weight no doubt contributed to more wear and tear but with the flow of supplies and the value we place on human life it was a moot point.

maxs 02-13-2009 05:20 PM

hey guys
what do you guys think of the new shermans that are coming out from h-l i need two of them for the landing craft love the tamiyas but to high price and heavy for me

pcomm1 02-13-2009 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: googlydoogly

Finally finished my Easy-Eight, all I need to do is tweak the stowage gear setup, but she's pretty much done. The Easy-Eight has always been a favorite of mine, and when I found that Nick Aguilar is selling his T-23 turret kit, I immediately jumped at the chance of modding my old old oooooold M5 105mm Sherman. :D

Best Easy 8 to date, great modeling job.

Now, why not make it all dirty to make pattoncommander really happy.

kirakun 02-14-2009 01:31 AM

may i know where to get those 1/16 accessories?? bags, nets etc..

Cav Scout 02-14-2009 07:56 PM

I like your tank, its a solid build. outstanding. the D-bag on rear deck...nice touch, first one i've seen like that, what did you use to make it (give it it's texture). caught my attention right off.

sarvis

hazardzone 02-15-2009 08:23 PM

Nice looking sherman!