Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

New to the hobby. buggy or truggy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

New to the hobby. buggy or truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:54 PM
camsquad47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the hobby. buggy or truggy?

Hey, soo i'm new to the hobby and i want to get into racing. I was wondering what you guys would suggest for me as a beginner racer to start off with a buggy or a truggy?Like which one is easier to handle or maintain?Or are they simply pretty much the same?I will definatly be getting a high end brand like losi, mugen, xray ect and i would rather get a kit then an rtr, i've been doing some research and everyone seems to suggest an rtr for a beginer then turn around and say something about poor quality and stuff like that so a kit is definatly what i want.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM
stussman

Default RE: New to the hobby. buggy or truggy?

Truggy is easier to drive.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: stussman

Truggy is easier to drive.
agree
truggies are way more stable at high speeds. I can flip my buggies easy my truggies stay planted for the most part even turning full speed.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just in case you decide you don't want to race truggies also make better bashers
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 PM
camsquad47

Thanks guys the truggy does seem to be a better option for a beginner.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

what ever ya buy, make sure that the part support is going to be good. it sux to buy something and have to wait 2 weeks or more for parts
Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 PM
camsquad47

my nearest lhs is about an hour away and only stocks kyosho so i'll be buying my parts online but i'll be getting them in bulk so i wont have to order parts all the time
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

the kyosho ST RR is no joke ... they're totally competitive
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 AM
camsquad47

oh ok sweet. the kyosho was one of the truggies i was looking at
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

the kyosho ST RR is no joke ... they're totally competitive
to bad their discontinued.....

Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: camsquad47

oh ok sweet. the kyosho was one of the truggies i was looking at
i highly recommend not gettting Kyosho truggy since they are now discontinued... i recommend O'donnell, or Mugen, or HotBodies (buy back up servo savers and axils for sure). all of those are great and easy to get parts... losi is good too but wear faster and they dont fit my driving style. AE is good but doesnt seem to be there like the others, ive driven a bunch... HotBodies is probably the easiest truggy to drive. O'donnell lasts forever and doesnt wear, 10+ gallons on original drive train.... mugen is good quality also but their arms do break, its a known fact.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
NOIC

Well I got to put my 2 cents in here. A few years back when I was getting into Nitro, this forum and the subscribers were immensely helpful. I had only old school electric experience and never even driven a nitro vehicle. Since then my experience has increased 1000%. Do all my own repairs and mods & can tune an engine well. I ended up with a Mugen MBX5R and couldn't be happier. I've driven the heck out of it and although I've had to do repairs, (not counting upgrades and mods) they've been warranted given the beating it's taken. In my area the LHS's suck. Pretty much don't have parts for anything worthwhile so I order on line and the reputable sites get you the parts quick and cheaply. My advice is read, learn, and do things yourself. O'Donnell has a good rep, Mugen is my favorite, and I agree with Jmaxey51 in that AE doesn’t seem to be a predominant player, but they have been around forever. While these guys may have more expertise than me, I've done quite a bit in the past few years and I don't think I'm steering you wrong. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 PM
camsquad47

thanks for all the info guys, i think i'm going to go with either the mugen or the o'donnell truggy. they both look like good truggies
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM
camsquad47

So i've decided to go with the mbx6t. but should i get the kit or the m spec version? is the only difference between them the fact that it's already built or is there other things too?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 PM
jmaxey51

get the M-spec, its so nice to have it ready to go, and the setup on it is just about spot on....plus you dont have to build it and its built great... i know alot of people that bought the kit and their pivot ball falls off all the time. also always have 2 sets of front a-arms for it.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
camsquad47

ok thanks m-spec it is then. do i have to use a .21 or .28 motor?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
romax

Def get a .21 for racing . Much better power delivery & longer run time ( less pit stops ) .
Old 10-22-2010, 09:48 AM
jmaxey51

how much are you willing to spend on a engine? if you can swing it, i recommend a Ninja 21 for truggy, for the power and ease of tuning. the power is very controllable and its really easy to tune... stock Ninjas get over 10 min of run time pretty easily, i know people getting 11-12 min with stock ones. if you cant afford or dont want to pay for a Ninja, Alpha engines (orange head) is also a great truggy engine, they are a pain to break in but after that they are great also, they are around 210 + 80 (i think) for the pipe, make sure to get an 0801 pipe or tuning will be extremely hard. also a O'donnell Super Sport 21 are easy to break and easy to tune and holds a tune better than any engine ive seen/ran, but you would have to play with pipes to see what works best, most run the OD R2 pipe, i like the OS 2060 pipe or RE-10 pipe, but this is in a buggy... OS pipes are around 130 i think though.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM
NOIC

Well two schools of thought on the Kit or Built. I feel that if you are 1) a beginner and want to learn, 2) have the time to spend, and 3) want to understand the inner workings right down to each diff then building it yourself is the best way to get educated. On the other hand if you are impatient and just want to get out there running then having as much of it as possible already done is a better way to go. Personally I am so glad I built a kit, but I don't think an already built was an option back then. Either way I suggest that you take photos before it hits the ground and after each upgrade or mod. You'll like them to refer to later on. I actually took photos during the assembly. As for the engine I have had great luck with an OS V-Spec. Main thing is take care of it. Finally I'm sure all the advice here is good. You will find that a lot of opinions are based on that individuals experience with that particular item and they may all be correct to some extent. One thing for sure, it's a great hobby and you'll have lots of fun.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 PM
rcmodely

I would suggest the 8475 Lego Racers buggy - for a beginner with RC.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 PM
camsquad47

i have about 2300 to spend all up so i could get the ninja if it is worth paying for, and i do like the idea of building the kit myself so i might do that. and ^^ haha?^^
Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have about 2300 to spend all up so i could get the ninja if it is worth paying for, and i do like the idea of building the kit myself so i might do that. and ^^ haha?^^

get the new OS XZB instead of the Ninja...
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: supertib

get the new OS XZB instead of the Ninja...
the SPEED version? IMO they are a little weak for truggy, but most people want them, i think Ninja is better. but you can go wrong with either, i would get the XZB SPEED or Ninja

Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
camsquad47

i went to the local track and a guy i was talking too suggested a novarossi is that a good motor or would the ninja be better?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 PM
jmaxey51

i went to the local track anda guy i was talking toosuggested a novarossi is that a good motor or would the ninja be better?

Novarossi are great engines, ive had a few BUT now i see people having more problems with them, tons of flame outs, idk whats going on with them. the NINJA is awesome, alot of nova guys are going to ninjas in my area... if you go with nova the plus 4 is one killer engine IMO but still i would go with the ninja over nova, but thats personal preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.