Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

jammin jpx .21 or ?...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
misasi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jammin jpx .21 or ?...

Right now I have the jpx in my truggy and I'm pretty happy but I'm going to need a new engine soon. Being out of the game so long now I see all these new engines and there is too much to choose from. I wouldn't mind an engine that is similer in power but doesn't need $20 glow plugs.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
nitroexpress

Default RE: jammin jpx .21 or ?...

$20 plugs? Where do you shop?
If you hurry, you can buy O'Donnell plugs for $2.99 at Tower Hobbies.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM
misasi

You can only use picco plugs on these engines or else the head either leaks or you warp the button. This info comes from supertib who knows these motors inside and out.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: misasi

You can only use picco plugs on these engines or else the head either leaks or you warp the button. This info comes from supertib who knows these motors inside and out.
Werk's plugs also work very well in the JPX....... some people will make OS or OD plugs work in these as well...but they will not run in my modified engines very well...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM
misasi

tib is there a cheaper version of this motor under another brand name? Do you think with having a heavier truggy I should go with a .28 and have it modded for fuel economy?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 PM
nitroexpress

Yes, the Clockman prefers Piccos, but my OD'swork just fine. I didn't see any difference between OD and Picco.I refuse to pay $10 and up for a plug.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM
supertib

tib is there a cheaper version of this motor under another brand name? Do you think with having a heavier truggy I should go with a .28 and have it modded for fuel economy?

Get a OS 25...its a fantastic engine that would suit your needs perfectly !
Old 03-26-2011, 05:25 AM
misasi

that os is big bucks but looks pretty nice. I don't know if I want to shell out that much coin tho... What's the word on SH engines? They don't look too bad.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lot of people raving about the Werks B5 with 2013 for truggy.. Good price, good rep (for both ease of break-in and tuning as well as power...)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:47 PM
jmaxey51

who told you this? that is not true one single bit... i have the JPX 21 and i run OS P4s in them now and getting same power, almost same tune, same idle, same run time etc versus the 14+ dollar plugs, however the picco plugs last twice as long, i could go 2+ gallons with picco plugs and only about a gallon with P4s...

i wouldnt run an OD plug tho, i run OD plugs in all my other engines but dont run one in my JPX, wont ever run it in it actually. P4 or picco plug is the only way to go with the piccos/jpxs IMHO.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
supertib

Once you start tuning these JPX mills in you are best served to run the Picco plugs.... Now I only have experience with my modified versions as i don't bother much with stock engines.....I have seen OS and OD plugs leak in the JPX heads more then once, some buttons seem to seal, some do not..... On the modified engines if you try running a OS or OD plug your very likely going to be picking glowplug coil out of your piston, as both those plugs have nowhere near the durability of the Picco plugs....... Maybe they are fine on a stock compression engine, or an engine with added head shims...but if your serious about making the JPX perform to its full potential your definitely best served to be running a quality plug......I hear many guys having to add shims and are lucky to get 8 minutes, we remove shims and regularly get 12 minutes from these engines, but I would never dare do that with a OD or OS plug....Picco plugs are much more resistant to detonation and allow you to push the engine much harder....
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: supertib

Once you start tuning these JPX mills in you are best served to run the Picco plugs.... Now I only have experience with my modified versions as i don't bother much with stock engines.....I have seen OS and OD plugs leak in the JPX heads more then once, some buttons seem to seal, some do not..... On the modified engines if you try running a OS or OD plug your very likely going to be picking glowplug coil out of your piston, as both those plugs have nowhere near the durability of the Picco plugs....... Maybe they are fine on a stock compression engine, or an engine with added head shims...but if your serious about making the JPX perform to its full potential your definitely best served to be running a quality plug......I hear many guys having to add shims and are lucky to get 8 minutes, we remove shims and regularly get 12 minutes from these engines, but I would never dare do that with a OD or OS plug....Picco plugs are much more resistant to detonation and allow you to push the engine much harder....
i fully agree with you that picco plugs are far better plugs. however, JPX makes the same power with OS plugs, some cases more power. i wouldnt even dare mod one, they are ridiculous stock, its now just my back up engine because its to much power and i cant the run time out of it like i can with my Alphas. only can get 10 min every now and then with the JPX but never can get close to that in quals for some reason pulling same lap times ... i do like how with JPX, i can have it sitting in the box for 6 months, put it on the track, and the tune is just about spot on every time.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

i fully agree with you that picco plugs are far better plugs. however, JPX makes the same power with OS plugs, some cases more power. i wouldnt even dare mod one, they are ridiculous stock, its now just my back up engine because its to much power and i cant the run time out of it like i can with my Alphas. only can get 10 min every now and then with the JPX but never can get close to that in quals for some reason pulling same lap times [img][/img] ... i do like how with JPX, i can have it sitting in the box for 6 months, put it on the track, and the tune is just about spot on every time.

The Picco plugs actually make more power when the engine is shimmed correctly..........But in your case when you add shims then I can see the ultra hot OS/OD plugs doing better due to the lowered compression........FYI my modified JPX is much smoother and much better on fuel then the stock counterpart, it of course also makes more power and RPM< but it delivers it in a much nicer manner.......
Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 PM
jmaxey51

i fully agree with you that picco plugs are far better plugs. however, JPX makes the same power with OS plugs, some cases more power. i wouldnt even dare mod one, they are ridiculous stock, its now just my back up engine because its to much power and i cant the run time out of it like i can with my Alphas. only can get 10 min every now and then with the JPX but never can get close to that in quals for some reason pulling same lap times [img][/img]... i do like how with JPX, i can have it sitting in the box for 6 months, put it on the track, and the tune is just about spot on every time.

The Picco plugs actually make more power when the engine is shimmed correctly..........But in your case when you add shims then I can see the ultra hot OS/OD plugs doing better due to the lowered compression........FYI my modified JPX is much smoother and much better on fuel then the stock counterpart, it of course also makes more power and RPM< but it delivers it in a much nicer manner.......
ive never added a shim in the JPX.... and it still has more compression than any other engine i have and it has 10+ gallons on it...

Old 03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
supertib

i fully agree with you that picco plugs are far better plugs. however, JPX makes the same power with OS plugs, some cases more power. i wouldnt even dare mod one, they are ridiculous stock, its now just my back up engine because its to much power and i cant the run time out of it like i can with my Alphas. only can get 10 min every now and then with the JPX but never can get close to that in quals for some reason pulling same lap times [img][/img] ... i do like how with JPX, i can have it sitting in the box for 6 months, put it on the track, and the tune is just about spot on every time.

ive never added a shim in the JPX.... and it still has more compression than any other engine i have and it has 10+ gallons on it...

You argued with me over it a while back..you said by adding a shim the engine lasted longer, and you buddy who didn't add a shim toasted his engine..........
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 PM
qaiz

Quoted for truth.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
romax

You argued with me over it a while back..you said by adding a shim the engine lasted longer, and you buddy who didn't add a shim toasted his engine..........
Supertib,
I am maxeys dad and i think where the confusion came from was he thought i added a shim but i did not , even though our manual says to add .1mm for 30% . I measured and by your recommendation did not add one. The engine has been good but i think there are better choices out now such as the werks b5 . BTW i looked at the friends toasted engine and it had no shim at all. Don't think that caused his issue as it looks like it was just ran way hot. He admitted that it did run over 350 degrees F LOL .
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: romax

Supertib,
I am maxeys dad and i think where the confusion came from was he thought i added a shim but i did not , even though our manual says to add .1mm for 30% . I measured and by your recommendation did not add one. The engine has been good but i think there are better choices out now such as the werks b5 . BTW i looked at the friends toasted engine and it had no shim at all. Don't think that caused his issue as it looks like it was just ran way hot. He admitted that it did run over 350 degrees F LOL .

Thanks for clearing that up..I was a little confused...your boys a pretty sharp cookie and I was positive we discussed adding shims !