Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Mugen Monster!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mugen Monster!

Just got my new to me Mugen MBX5T in the mail this afternoon. I plan to make a truggy that is as capable off road as a monster truck. But I like to use a starter box so a truggy platform seemed to be the way to go . That and I have always wanted a MBX5T! I have a set of 40 series Proline Soabs with wheels that I will be mounting on the truggy. Here is a quick pic of what I have so far. Its huge!!

Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mugen Monster!

Nice truggy, but drop the big tires , they are not needed whatsoever on a Truggy, and will sap the power from the engine , make suspension more vulnerable to damage and will hurt it more offroad then help it...... However those tires do look killer for pictures !
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not need big tires to make an MBX5T as capable as a monster truck, it is already better in every way than any monster truck ont he stock wheels. I strongly recommend you stick with normal truggy size wheels, you won't gain anything but extra stress on the car with those tires.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:23 AM
yakfish

I understand what you are saying about added stress the suspension that has been a bit of a consern for me, but more ground clearance won't help it off road?? As far as sapping power from the engine I was planning on running a 12T-13T CB to give it some more bottom end. Since this is for offroad I don't need the top end speed on this one (I can't beleive I just said that!). I have had truggys get stuck with regular tires plenty of times off road. I am going to try it with the big tires for now and if I start breaking stuff or am not happy with the performance I will switch back to the regular truggy tires I have for it. I am also going to put some heavier diff fluid in the center. None of the stuff I am planning on doing with it is permament. I can always go back to smaller tires and light diff fluid![8D]

BTW: I am going to appologize right off the bat. I know to some people on here this must be somewhat sacreligous to do this to a pure bred race machine!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I understand what you are saying about added stress the suspension that has been a bit of a consern for me, but more ground clearance won't help it off road?? As far as sapping power from the engine I was planning on running a 12T-13T CB to give it some more bottom end. Since this is for offroad I don't need the top end speed on this one (I can't beleive I just said that!). I have had truggys get stuck with regular tires plenty of times off road. I am going to try it with the big tires for now and if I start breaking stuff or am not happy with the performance I will switch back to the regular truggy tires I have for it. I am also going to put some heavier diff fluid in the center. None of the stuff I am planning on doing with it is permament. I can always go back to smaller tires and light diff fluid![8D]

BTW: I am going to appologize right off the bat. I know to some people on here this must be somewhat sacreligous to do this to a pure bred race machine!

Big tires will do nothing but look cool...trust me on that one...and stock gearing is a 13th...which is geared on stock tires to do about 45 MPH with a race .21... And you have the right idea...try em and see...but don't make any serious changes in diffs till you at least run the machine.... Once you drive it as it is supposed to be you will have a better idea what they are capable of...and good chance you will see they are extremely capable offroad just the way we run them on the track....after you have played with it as is for a bit then start trying different things, but at least give it a try as it sits right now ! I don't think its sacrilegious to put big goofy tires on a Truggy, I just think your too new to truggy to know any better ( no insult intended whatsoever ) ... As I say a Truggy is a badass offroad machine just the way it is, anything oddball you think you are doing that will help it offroad is likely going to hurt performance.....
Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 AM
yakfish

I have read alot of your posts supertib and I have alot of respect for the knowlege you bring to the forums. and don't worry I don't get insulted![8D] I not new to truggys this is just something I have never [8D]tried before. I have always beed just a basher and don't have any race experiece. I'm not set on just one set of tires. I will definently be trying the stock ones too! Thanks for the imput
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM
yakfish

After a couple days of running this truggy I have some observations:

1) It handles much better with the stock truggy wheels. LOL!
2) The 40 series tires turn this truck into a crawler!!

I have never had a truck that can go where this thing can on the big tires. it just won't get stuck!I have taken it through grass and weeds that are taller than thre truck itself into holes and over rocks and logs that no RC should be able to! But there are some disadvantages to the larger tire as well. if you try to go fast they just balloon like crazy they are impossible to get ballances so the whole truck just wobbles at speed with them. and slower speeds and crawling is fun but it has to be hard on the clutch.

Bottom line is that while it is fun with bigger tires I will most likely spend more time on the stock wheels than the 40 series. [8D]
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

it is already better in every way than any monster truck ont he stock wheels.
I can think of some situations an MT would be better, but a truggy is good at a lot of stuff and definately would out handle an MT no questions asked.

Anyways, I would have to think the big tires would kill acceleration. I put some t-maxx wheels on a buggy one time just to try it and it was horrible. Dont imagine the clutch would last real long, especially at lower speeds, since you cant gear down much.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 AM
lez1troubles

It does LOOK pretty cool though.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

it is already better in every way than any monster truck ont he stock wheels.
I can think of some situations an MT would be better, but a truggy is good at a lot of stuff and definately would out handle an MT no questions asked.

Anyways, I would have to think the big tires would kill acceleration. I put some t-maxx wheels on a buggy one time just to try it and it was horrible. Dont imagine the clutch would last real long, especially at lower speeds, since you cant gear down much.
There's only one thing an MT does better than a truggy, rotate in the air. Nothing else. Mudding and pulling not included, because crawlers do that better than both. Center diff=win.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 AM
cummins driver

There's only one thing an MT does better than a truggy, rotate in the air. Nothing else. Mudding and pulling not included, because crawlers do that better than both. Center diff=win.
Crawlers dont pull better than an MT by any means Not so sure they are better in the mud either, since you need wheel speed in mud, and most crawlers dont have much of that. I guess you'd have to run in some pretty rough areas to see what i mean when i say an MT has its advantages over a truggy.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Foxy

My MBX5t is much better over the really rough stuff, it floats above it, the Savage bounces around due to the big springy tires and short wheelbase. With XL TVPs the Savage would probably equal or better it, but we're talking stock classes vs stock classes, once you start modding anything is possible. Truggies are just much better setup right out of the box, lower CG, center diffs, more direct drive.

Regarding crawlers, they rape at pulling with the right setup. I've seen a super crawler pulling a real car. You might be right about mudding though, I don't know, I never have/would, but don't think crawlers don't have wheel speed, its essential in high level competition.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 AM
cummins driver

My MBX5t is much better over the really rough stuff, it floats above it, the Savage bounces around due to the big springy tires and short wheelbase. With XL TVPs the Savage would probably equal or better it, but we're talking stock classes vs stock classes, once you start modding anything is possible. Truggies are just much better setup right out of the box, lower CG, center diffs, more direct drive.

Regarding crawlers, they rape at pulling with the right setup. I've seen a super crawler pulling a real car. You might be right about mudding though, I don't know, I never have/would, but don't think crawlers don't have wheel speed, its essential in high level competition.
Im talking crossing tree limbs, running on plowed ground, etc.. when i mean rough. Not some rutted out high speed areas. My old MGT for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOqqDjq_NY

Dont jump down my throat, im just saying there are areas where an MT is the better choice. For most general bashing, the truggy will do everything faster without a doubt.

A crawler is no better than an MT at pulling though. Most of them are solid axle which allows for a lot of torque twist which is bad. MT's are much heavier and geared correctly, pull great. Pulling a car really isnt that big of a feat. Its a lot of weight, but its on wheels which makes it fairly easy. There are MT's doing that on youtube as well. I am in an R/C pulling club and i pull my Nitro Monster GT competitively. We pull around 100lbs on dirt which is pretty good since its a sled that drags the ground and creates friction. We have had a couple crawlers pull that did ok, but they were only pulling around 40lbs.

This was our last pull, my truck is the red one[8D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Ew985CrSo

Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 AM
Foxy

I'm not jumping down your throat, forums are for discussion so we all get to see each others point of view.

Fair enough on the pulling, my experience is very limited so I won't labour my point, but I would still think a brushless super crawler (motor on axle, no twist )with a heavy weight on the front axle would destroy a nitro MT at pulling, it's a matter of physics. More torque plus more tire area (have you SEEN super crawler tires?? They're like barrels) = pulling power. Anyway, as I say I will defer to your judgment as one who participates.

Have a look at the [link=http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gmade+spider&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yaQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_VWpTszRC-ah4gTQhPj9Dw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1680&bih=883]Gmade Spider[/link] and tell me you don't think that thing could pull out tree stumps.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 AM
cummins driver

Sorry, wasnt implying you were jumping down my throat, just wanted to make sure you knew i wasnt just trying to say you were wrong, just expressing my views[8D]

Also, i am sure some of the crawlers could pull pretty well. I guess either one would need some setup(crawler or mt) for pulling so it really wouldnt matter much. Whats funny though is that for the pulling we do (hard dirt track), the truggy tires have been the best by far. I had some 7" tall MT tires on the truck and they didnt hook nearly as well and were harder on the truck and pulled some power out of it. Amazing how those little pins work
Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Foxy

Have you tried the Trenchers? Are they any good for that kind of stuff? They look like they would be, but they are far removed from the pin design.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 AM
cummins driver

I have tried a few designs. The hard pack that our track normally is makes it hard to dig in. I love the look of the trenchers, but i dont think they would work as well as the pins. I tried a set of these recently and they would just hop on top of the ground(not my picture):

I also ran these:

Out of all of those, the 2nd set (stock mgt tires) performed best, but the pins did quite a bit better than those and since we have a weight limit, i can hang more weight out front with the pins since they are also the lightest of the bunch
Old 10-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Foxy

Yakfish, I must apologise for hijacking your thread here, but I'm intrigued... [&:]

I realise they'd be VERY heavy, but have you considered maybe a 24mm axle conversion and these... ? these are just the fronts, the rears are even fatter.

They have got to be THE most aggressive tire in the hobby, and maybe the fact that they weigh a ton, might help on the front? [&:]

They make the badlands look like toytown stuff

Are you allowed to screw self tappers through the tires for metal spikes? I guess not, cos that would be cheating kinda, lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 AM
cummins driver

I think those would hook up well probably. They'd be awesome in grass and stuff for sure. Its hard to say how they'd do on hardpack. Id say they would definately sap some power out of it Might would have to run the fronts all the way around. haha I spent quite a bit of money trying tires, stripping rims, etc.. this year. The small diameter truggy tires hook so well and have had no problems at all stripping (and they are cheap at $25 a set of 4) I just dont think i can make myself stray away from them now. lol

We definately have done some sever highjacking though. Sorry Yakfish [&:]
Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 AM
wrapter

You can put a 40 size tires in a truggy ,TT have done it in their ST-1 truggy and now call it MT4-G3 monster truck but this off course is brushless so it has quite a lot more torque then the stock engine.

Its diffs are also tried and tested found in RC8T and also found in ST-1.

But i would suggest you to stick with the stock or truggy tires if you are using a engine,the acceleration /top speed takes a hit in engine powered ones atleast it does so in my truggy.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 AM
supertib

I just picked up a set of 3.8 Badlands my Truggy...so far they are quite excellent....they offer a good balance between traction and offroad capability and weight... They are light enough that they don't kill your engine or your clutch, and they hookup on almost any surface....Because truggies are nearly direct drive they do not tolerate big heavy tires too well...Big tires end up killing your engine and your clutch as well as drastically reduce performance......
Old 10-27-2011, 10:46 AM
cummins driver

I had the badlands on my buggies that i have owned and i love those tires for bashing. Dont know how they would be on a track, but they are the stuff for general beating around.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I had the badlands on my buggies that i have owned and i love those tires for bashing. Dont know how they would be on a track, but they are the stuff for general beating around.

useless for a track unfortunately.....strictly a bash tire
Old 10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the track.. Main prob is they are so heavy..

Traction-wise mine do well in some conditions - buggy and truggy..