Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Something better than a HPI trophy truggy?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Something better than a HPI trophy truggy?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:17 AM
wracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Something better than a HPI trophy truggy?

What would be the top choices in the 1/10th scale? Still looking at electric. Anything with the Mugen quality?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1/8 is so much better.. 1/10 is mostly SC these days.. And 1/10 electric SC is silly IMO.. Might not sound like a big difference going from 10 to 8 - but it is.. Also just options - motors, tires, etc..

If you want an electric truggy, shop around for a good used roller, and just convert it..

But seriously, if you don't want to race, get the MT4 G3.. Truggies are cool, but they are more for organized racing.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
wracing

Thank you for that HerrSavage!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
wracing

SUMMARY SO FAR (Please correct and add feedback):
KIT (1/8 scale)
Mugen MBX6T M-Spec converted to electric(Epic basher, and great racer)
Mugen MBX6eco (Epic basher, and great racer)
Jammin X2 CRT truggy (Need conversion, great car)
OFNA Mutilator (need conversion to electric racer/basher)
Associated RC8T CE (racer & basher)
Associated RC2.8
Hot Bodies D8T (racer & basher)
Hyper ST (racer & basher)
HongNor X2 truggy (???)
Serpent 811 (pure racing)
8ight 2.0T (pure racing)
Ofna 1-8 Hyper ST Pro Truggy Kit(Need electric conversion)
OFNA Ultra LX-E (Buggie - budget - lower perf)
RTR (1/8 scale)
Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 RTR** (One of the top choices RTR bashing)
Vorza Flux RTR ** (One of the top choices RTR bashing)
Ofna 1-8 Hyper ST Truggy RTR (Would need conversion to elec)
HPI Racing 1/8 Trophy Truggy Flux RTR (Down a notch from thunder tiger and vorza OK for pure basher.)
HPI Racing Bullet RTR (Concern, ESC and motor likely too small)
KIT (1/10 scale)
OFNA Hyper 10TT Kit
What else goes here?For bashers mostly
RTR (1/10 scale )
OFNA Hyper 10TT RTR
What goes here?For bashers mostly
NOTES ON MUGEN:Mugen MBX6T, a Tekno V4 brushless conversion kit for the Mugen MBX6T, the Tekin 2000kv truggy RX8 combo, a good servo, a Flysky GT3b radio, and a few 3s batteries (to run in series for 6s mayhem).
Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tNGe6qnuJ0[/youtube]
Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, wracing, since you asked me for feedback on your post above...

The first thing to bear in mind is that all truggies are intended to race mainly. It is a side effect of the strength of the generic truggy design that they are all good bashers as well. There are only specific nuances that make some better than others for certain things.

Truggy kits/rollers (All are great bashers, no need to say this, the only difference between them is the kit level out of the box):

Mugen MBX6T M-Spec - Ready to go to the world championships out of the box.
8ight 2.0T - Pretty much ready for top level competition out of the box.
OFNA Jammin X2 CRT truggy - Ready for any level of club racing, a very good car for its money. Legendary durability.
OFNA Mutilator - Superceded by the X2 truggy, don't bother with this one, it hasn't much business in the list with these others.
Associated RC8T CE - Ready for any level of club racing, a very good car for its money.
Hot Bodies D8T - Ready for any level of club racing, a very good car for its money.
Hyper ST - Just about ready for club racing, would want a few upgrades if racing seriously.
HongNor X2 truggy - See Jammin above. Hong Nor is rebranded as OFNA in the US, everywhere else they are Hong Nor. Same car.

Buggies (also good bashers, but not quite as good as a truggy as all rounders, buggies are generally even tougher than truggies):

Serpent 811 - Ready for world champs out of the box.
Mugen MBX6eco - Ready for world champs out of the box.
Associated RC8.2 - Ready for high level competition out of the box (As far as we know, this is very new and there is little feedback yet, but it should be a top racer).

RTR (1/8 scale)

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 RTR ** (One of the top choices RTR bashing, the most durable car here by all accounts)
Vorza Flux RTR ** (One of the top choices RTR bashing, but that's about all it's good for)
HPI Racing 1/8 Trophy Truggy Flux RTR (Down a notch from thunder tiger and vorza OK for pure basher.)

1/10th...er...why bother if you can afford a good 1/8th? Only bother if going for 1/10th racing, as 1/8th are much better bashers and MUCH more durable. If you do decide to go for 1/10th racing, none of the cars you mentioned are really gonna cut it with the 'big boys', you mention models which are aimed at the newbie and casual basher who never needs to go more than 30 mph. I like the little Bullets, they are good, a friend of mine has one, but they pale in comparison to a 1.8th buggy or truggy.

If you have the money, you should be looking at the Mugen with the kit you listed as per my suggestions. If you want something which represents the best value in the hobby and will be a rewarding basher for years to come, go for the Thunder Tiger MT.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
HerrSavage

An RC8T will hang with a Mugen any day, in all areas.. Except the Associated won't break A-arms left, right, and center.. Cheaper too..
Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Foxy

I disagree, but then I don't like Associated stuff generally, too plasticky. When you look at tehm side by side, the Mugen is made of much better materials and has more adjustability. That's why the Associated is cheap.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM
wracing

ORIGINAL: Foxy

OK, wracing, since you asked me for feedback on your post above...

The first thing to bear in mind is that all truggies are intended to race mainly. It is a side effect of the strength of the generic truggy design that they are all good bashers as well. There are only specific nuances that make some better than others for certain things.

Truggy kits/rollers (All are great bashers, no need to say this, the only difference between them is the kit level out of the box):

Mugen MBX6T M-Spec - Ready to go to the world championships out of the box.
8ight 2.0T - Pretty much ready for top level competition out of the box.
OFNA Jammin X2 CRT truggy - Ready for any level of club racing, a very good car for its money. Legendary durability.
OFNA Mutilator - Superceded by the X2 truggy, don't bother with this one, it hasn't much business in the list with these others.
Associated RC8T CE - Ready for any level of club racing, a very good car for its money.
Hot Bodies D8T - Ready for any level of club racing, a very good car for its money.
Hyper ST - Just about ready for club racing, would want a few upgrades if racing seriously.
HongNor X2 truggy - See Jammin above. Hong Nor is rebranded as OFNA in the US, everywhere else they are Hong Nor. Same car.

Buggies (also good bashers, but not quite as good as a truggy as all rounders, buggies are generally even tougher than truggies):

Serpent 811 - Ready for world champs out of the box.
Mugen MBX6eco - Ready for world champs out of the box.
Associated RC8.2 - Ready for high level competition out of the box (As far as we know, this is very new and there is little feedback yet, but it should be a top racer).

RTR (1/8 scale)

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 RTR ** (One of the top choices RTR bashing, the most durable car here by all accounts)
Vorza Flux RTR ** (One of the top choices RTR bashing, but that's about all it's good for)

1/10th...er...why bother if you can afford a good 1/8th? Only bother if going for 1/10th racing, as 1/8th are much better bashers and MUCH more durable. If you do decide to go for 1/10th racing, none of the cars you mentioned are really gonna cut it with the 'big boys', you mention models which are aimed at the newbie and casual basher who never needs to go more than 30 mph. I like the little Bullets, they are good, a friend of mine has one, but they pale in comparison to a 1.8th buggy or truggy.

If you have the money, you should be looking at the Mugen with the kit you listed as per my suggestions. If you want something which represents the best value in the hobby and will be a rewarding basher for years to come, go for the Thunder Tiger MT.
Wow Foxy!!! Thank You! Great answer. i apreciate it.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Foxy

You're very welcome. Basically, as far as truggies you can't go wrong with any of the good ones. But bear in mind, I ALREADY have a Mugen race truggy converted to electric, and I STILL want the Thunder Tiger MT, it seems like the ULTIMATE basher to me. I'm completely sold on it based on what I've seen and heard. But if you want a race truggy, go for it, they are also very special RCs on AND off the track.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Eman77

Why no love for the Tamiya TRF 801x or 801xt kits?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 PM
HerrSavage

Associated "plasticky"?.. It's the crap plastic that makes Mugen arms so brittle... No other brand of truggy has people wanting to get petitions for RPM to make arms for them, as I have seen on another forum...

Mugens are no doubt among the best quality RC's you can get(minus the arms.. ) But so are Associated. People who pay more for Mugens just like to tout it more cuz they paid more..

All across the board Associated is at the top of the class. Name your scale, nitro, electric, whatever.. Just need them to come out with a 5th scale gasser so Maifield and Cavalieri can race the Losi guys like Drake and co..

Anyway, no Mugen truggy will automatically be faster than an RC8T. All down to setup and driver skill anyway. But inately the Mugen doesn't have anything several of the other brands don't. Again, Mugen is nice. But some of the talk is hype. An honestly, there are numerous guys on forums moving from Mugen to Serpent, because they can't finish a race with a broken A-arm...
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Foxy

Really? Nobody said it would be faster necessarily, just better materials. Not everyone is having a problem with the arms by the way.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Mspeed

I have been racing my e-revo vs some mugens and losi's and one guy has a rc8t. I told myself I will buy a real truggy this winter and convert it into a electric using my upgraded parts on the revo. I dont want to start a internet war and argue, but I agree alot with what HerrSavage has to say. One of the local racers let me drive his mugen and the other mugen guys I have watched alot their progress, as well as the rc8t and the losi's.

I have been told by many ...the mugen is the way to go...thought at one time it would be the choice for me...now I am back deciding between getting a rc8t, d8t, or something else that might come along before the next spring.

I am no expert, I am pretty new to racing, but i have won alot of races vs some truggy that I should have never won. Call it setup or better driving, or the type of track I race on, but my e-revo felt like it handled better than that mugen I drove. Now if I owned that mugen...sure I would try and learn how to set it up for my driving style and make it out handle and outdrive my revo, but for now I hear too many stories and seen the arms break on this one guys mugen he just bought...True some of the other mugen drivers have not broke nearly as many front arms... just saying ive read some impressive things about some guys switching to d8t's from mugens and some rc8t's that can turn just as good if not better than some guys mugen's. In the end, my decision is based on parts availbiity, price of parts and truggy, durability, forgiving setups to different tracks(how easy it dails into a track) for a easy to drive hard truggy. I have not completley said no to a mugen, but im less likely to buy one now that I know some more about the rc8t and the d8t.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM
HerrSavage

All of the top brands - Losi, Associated, Mugen, X-ray, Serpent, Hot Bodies etc.. are all very good and you will be fine with any of them afaic.

Where Associated really wins out IMO is in parts availability. They have so many 1/8 offroad platforms, that parts are just everywhere - and lots of them carry over. RC8B, RC8.2(less carry-over here, but still some..), RC8T, SC8, and electric versions of all of them..('cept the truggy I think.. Though there used to be one for the pre-CE RC8T..)

I want a new buggy or truggy, and since I already have an SC8 and a bunch of Asso parts, I'm either gonna get the RC8.2 or wait a bit and see if a.) they bring out a new truggy, and/or b.) the RC8T CE gets cheaper... Would love a Serpent, but don't need a new brand to worry about parts for... Already up to my neck in LST2, DM-1, and SC8/RC8 stuff...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a tight, high grip track the RC8T is really good and a match to the Mugen...However on a rough, loose surface the Mugen is far easier to drive...the ugen is much more planted and stable....... The RC8T is fat, but it is twitchy on low traction or rough tracks.....IMO the RC8T handles very much like a Jammin X2 CRT....Myself I much prefer the feel of the Mugen... tho I like the Serpent the best....
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 AM
kawpow321

thats why i love my st1 80% same parts as mt4 (very durable) i have yet to brake anything and i dont plan on going pro anytime soon so my input is in the long run your wallet will stay bigger than your ego willwith any 600 truggy TMO
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Foxy

Well, if we can take anything away with us from this discussion, it is that Thunder Tiger represents the best value for money, that all the top truggies are good choice, and it comes down to personal preference. Of course, as the other poster pointed, up to a point, its only driver skill that matters.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

All of the top brands - Losi, Associated, Mugen, X-ray, Serpent, Hot Bodies etc.. are all very good and you will be fine with any of them afaic.

Where Associated really wins out IMO is in parts availability. They have so many 1/8 offroad platforms, that parts are just everywhere - and lots of them carry over. RC8B, RC8.2(less carry-over here, but still some..), RC8T, SC8, and electric versions of all of them..('cept the truggy I think.. Though there used to be one for the pre-CE RC8T..)

I want a new buggy or truggy, and since I already have an SC8 and a bunch of Asso parts, I'm either gonna get the RC8.2 or wait a bit and see if a.) they bring out a new truggy, and/or b.) the RC8T CE gets cheaper... Would love a Serpent, but don't need a new brand to worry about parts for... Already up to my neck in LST2, DM-1, and SC8/RC8 stuff...
You won't have any problems with Serpent parts being in Europe, honestly.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM
HerrSavage

Not really.. Serpent here has about one or two sources. For Associated there are probably 20.., not to mention the cheaper option of ordering from US ebay - and there you have 20 more options.. Then Amain, Tower, etc..

Over the past few years I've been to a lot of truggy races. I don't know why, but you rarely see Mugens finishing at the top. And they're very popular here. Most races seem to be won by Losis these days, and a year or two back more by RC8T's.., though they still make the podium. Still never see Mugens winning, not sure why.. I think in the UK though Mugens do much better among the top drivers.. Having run in and marshalled and just plain watched up close a lot of these races, the Mugen 6T has never impressed me really as being particularly nimble or agile - like for ex.. the RC8T or Losi. The Associateds have tons of steering.. Two local guys I run with have 6T's, and they do look pretty smooth over rough stuff, but not agile into and out of the turns like an Associated or a Losi.. As good as the 6T surely is though, I'd never get one now that the Serpent is out. Mugen, compared to brands like Asso and Losi, is a bit of a rarity.. And if you're going to get a rarity truggy, might as well be a Serpent. But for me, yeah, cuz of parts I'd probably get the RC8T, which, when set up and driven right will hang with if not beat any of them... I know it's borderline to bring up the pros, but Maifield and Cavalieri have had a hell of a lot of success these last years.. Yeah with the pros it's different, but still - if there cars weren't absolutely top of the line, they wouldn't win as often and consistently as they do.. Some of the other brand guys have success here and there, but it doesn't seem that any of them do so as regularly and impressively as the two Ryans..

(no driver is as fun to watch as Maifield IMO.. This is off-topic, but check him out on a recent visit to Germany running a borrowed RC8B..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NndRR...ure=plpp_video

...and pretty much smoking Germany's top driver..[X(])
Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Foxy

It's precisely this popularity that have earned them their undeserved reputations. In a race with 5 losis, 5 AEs and 1 mugen, what are the odds of the Mugen winning? But once again, you are talking about race results, I AM NOT. I'm talking about build and material quality and durability. Losis are well known to wear out faster, the RC8b goes so quick because it has a lot of flex another reason you will go through a few more pats each season, but if you like the way it drives, that's the price you pay. Here in Greece, Xray and Mugen dominate.

What someone needs from a basher is far removed from what is needed to win a top level truggy race. At the top level they don't crash, the car could be made of biscuits and still finish the race. Jus saying...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 AM
HerrSavage

Well, not with a broken A-arm..
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Foxy

Exaggerated problem is exaggerated.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
wracing

Ihear if you boil the a-arms they no longer break .
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Foxy

Hehe, I just came across this nice vid of a Jammin X2 CRT converted to brushless running on 6S. It's pretty representative what you can expect from any of the good truggies converted to brushless, INSANE power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUAj_CGrtNM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.