Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

what truggy for racing?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
MPevine11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what truggy for racing?

looking to race next season, whats a good truggy to get?

i am thinking 8ight-t 2.0, is that a good choice??
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what truggy for racing?

Anything that comes as a rolling chassis or kit for more than $400 is a decent choice. In descending order, my opinion...

Mugen MBX6T
The rest...

Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Serpent's got to be top of the list. It's the newest and bestest.

After that a 3-way tie between Mugen MBX6T and Associated RC8T CE and Losi 8T 2.0. Associated and Losi will be the cheapest and easiest to get parts for if/when necessary.

Mugen btw has by many accounts a problem with flimsy A-arms that break more easily than other brands.

I personally would go 1.) Serpent cuz it's the newest and most developed truggy, 2.) Associated RC8T CE - proven, tough, widely available, good quality, great steering, etc.., 3.) Mugen, good but wouldn't want to have to be so limited in my parts supplier(OK, same applies to the Serpent, but the Serpent is new, the Mugen is coming up on what, three years with no development?..), and 4.) Losi - capable of being the fastest but I don't like what I hear about Losis wearing so fast - i.e. needing parts replaced at a higher rate than other brands.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
K_B

Take into account local parts support unless you plan on getting parts strictly on-line. Also see what other guys are running at the track. It doesn't hurt to run what's popular at the track. Then you can copy other guy's setups (assuming guys aren't competitive jerks and will actually share that info) and if you break something you don't have and there's no shop nearby, you can mooch parts.

I switched from Losi to Mugen a couple years ago. The Losi parts wear rather quick, but the truck as whole, is durable. The Mugen doesn't have flimsy arms. They're just more rigid by design. The upper/lower A-arms provide more precise steering at the cost of impact resistance. Losi just has a camber link up top which allows the whole assembly to flex more. Steering doesn't feel as precise, but in a crash, it provides alot more flex/movement, so the parts don't break. And generally, I don't break arms on the Mugen, I just blow out the hingepin bushings, which are cheap to replace.

As a general rule, you can't go wrong with any of the major brands.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 AM
lez1troubles

KYOSHO.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MPevine11

looking to race next season, whats a good truggy to get?

i am thinking 8ight-t 2.0, is that a good choice??

If its your first year racing the Losi is your best bet...they have the broadest racing network...so parts support and technical assistance is very readily available....
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM
TamiyaTRFKid

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=49497SD

killer deal!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 AM
lez1troubles

That Tamiya really is a killer deal. Might just order one.[8D]
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Hack u 2

Nobody mentions Hot Bodies D8T??????????????? Someone tell me why this did not make list???? Been away awhile now I'm back!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
tommygun32

Yes, good truggy.

ORIGINAL: Hack u 2

Nobody mentions Hot Bodies D8T??????????????? Someone tell me why this did not make list???? Been away awhile now I'm back!!!
Most likely because you weren't here...[:-]

However, it was sort of mentioned...

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Anything that comes as a rolling chassis or kit for more than $400 is a decent choice. In descending order, my opinion...

Mugen MBX6T
The rest...

Old 12-24-2011, 02:19 PM
westphill24

Lol. I havent been on here in a couple years but this question made me laugh. Newbies would post this same "whats the best" question in every forum and get blasted for not looking through the threads or for it being a subjective question. Everyone has a different idea about whats best. Not Picking just thought it was funny.

Personally I think K_B hit the nail on the head. If your completely new your going to need help and ideas to help with setup, so going with whats popular at your local track is your best bet. Just keep in mind you can have a $2000 rig and still come in last place. The best thing to do is get a reputable truck, with good local parts support, and focus on keeping it right side up.lol

Hoped I helped.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Hack u 2

Newbies are what keep us going!!! Everyone else with experience knows everything so no conversation for the know it all's....LOL!! This was and is my favorite site! I have low post counts because I switched names and emails years back due to key board wars!!! But I enjoy asking questions?? Answering any kit over $400.00 gives absolutely no insite or direct answer and leaves it still in the air...and when I say what about hot bodies d8t I get it was mentioned ...well kinda!!! I think a key to this question of what is best may go to the Aftermarket arms.. RPM and the tires... Proline..and electronics...these keep the car stable and going...now we need to talk about what nitro motor works for particular track!!! No car is made perfect and the hop ups seperate men from boys!! Right?????