Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

New guy with a blown engine! HELP!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

New guy with a blown engine! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 PM
carpenterkc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a blown engine! HELP!!

Hello all,
this may go long, sorry. my first post here, but have been lurking for a while. OK. I have a losi 8ight t 2.0 rtr, I bought it in 2010 but it only had a half gallon of gas through it before work did not allow me time to play. it sat for a year and a half or so. i ran it for about an hour yesterday, and blew it up today. i either didnt break it in right or more likely over revved it. i ran it WOT for about 75 yards and back but it locked up coming back. engine is the .28 454. tore down the engine and found a broke rod and it whacked the piston and flared the skirt. my first question is; how do i know if ive screwed up the crankshaft? second question; should i order new parts or get a new engine? same engine or different? if different do pretty much all .21-.28 and others bolt right up. if different, which one?(i know how this will turn out). i'm not so much looking for the best full on race engine, just something thats dependable and powerful (my budget is no more than $250, but im not against a $150 engine if it the best bang for the buck). i dont know of any nitro tracks in the kansas city area, so i'm mostly a basher. All of my reading has led me to believe that there's about a thousand ways to skin the same cat in every area of this sport, and opinions are everywhere. Id just like to break the darn thing in right and get it tuned properly without blowing it up. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks for putting in the time to read all this.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
tyler239

Default RE: New guy with a blown engine! HELP!!

i would just recomend getting a new cylinder sleeve , piston and connecting rod , chances are you wont be able to buy them separately anyways theyll all probably come in one package , ... mine for the trx 3.3 did anyways. and for your crankshaft you wouldnt have bent it theyre solid steel crankshafts these nitro engines dont develop enough horspower to even begin to throw your crank shaft out of whack , let alone the fact that your connecting rod is aluminum and it will blow into pieces before it even comes close to messing up your crank. dont quote me on this but you will most likely be able to pick up a new sleeve piston and rod for no more then $80 you should be able to find them on amainhobbies.com or something , id say thats your best route instead of buying a whole new engine. anyways thats my two sense good luck with the rebuild  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
carpenterkc

Wow, 35 views and not even a flame for being a noob! Well to make this thread a little more interesting I just ordered a nova plus 28-7t. Any thoughts on how this engine should perform compared to my old one? (if I don't screw it up first). Any thoughts on upgrades required? Tuned pipe, drive train etc.? Thanks in advance for any input at all.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: carpenterkc

Wow, 35 views and not even a flame for being a noob! Well to make this thread a little more interesting I just ordered a nova plus 28-7t. Any thoughts on how this engine should perform compared to my old one? (if I don't screw it up first). Any thoughts on upgrades required? Tuned pipe, drive train etc.? Thanks in advance for any input at all.
YOU NOOB YOU BLOWED UP THE ENGINE!!!

I kid, yeah, engines don't like WOT, once they get pretty worn in they tolerate it a bit better.

Jammin makes great pipes, very durable and have a nice solid tone, i recommend hard coated as it stays pretty longer, if the engine makes awesome torque, install a JP-2 for better top end, for a high revving engine install a JP-1 to improve torque, or if its balanced, you can use a JP-3 which is good for the entire power band, its also very quiet and deep toned.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

That is unfortunate. To answer your question. Yes, any .21 to .28 will bolt right on. A couple engines people have been having lots of luck with are the Works b5 and the novarrosi P5XLT. They are both .21s, but have great power for a truggy. I think you can find either for right around $200.

I personally have a .28zx in my truggy. Its a great engine. I got a deal on it otherwise I wouldn't have got into the truggy scene. I hope this helps a little.