Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Brake help pls

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 AM
-Goat-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake help pls

Mornin All, ...I've got an old Tamiya Nitrage that I'm tryin to keep runnin, and now stoppin. The brake is goin south and as Tamiya no longer has the parts, I need to find a brake rotor and discs. The Outside diameter of the rotor is 40mm,it is 1mm thick and the center is shaped like the center output dogbone cup(flat on 2 sides and round on the other sides). Does anyone know of other brake rotors that have similar configurations? I think the HPI Savage pads will work. I've found rotors with the right center but the diameter is too small. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Goat-
Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Anthoop

Default RE: Brake help pls

Is this the correct part? - http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Tamiya-...-p/ta53981.htm
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM
-Goat-

Thank you for the reply Anthoop, I have looked into that before and it is the entire brake system and costs over 30 US dollars. I'm looking for a more readily available and cheaper solution as I only need the rotor.

-Goat-

PS - the rotor could have a center hex pattern of no more than 12mm and overall diameter of 40mm.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Anthoop

Another idea would be to see if you could find some washers of the correct diameter and file the centre hole to fit (make the hole 12mm by drilling first..then file the flats), you could use either fibre or steel washers...as long as you can find the right diameter.
Sorry I can not help with a ready made match, everything I have is much smaller.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM
-Goat-

Wow, that is a great idea Anthoop. Guess I'll head down to Fastenall and see what they have and then break out the ole Dremel tool. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

-Goat-
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Anthoop

Let us know how it turns out.
Be sure to clamp the washer when drilling/dremeling(?)
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM
-Goat-

Everything went pretty good. I had some metal from a friends shop so I used a hole saw and made my own disc (and shed no blood). I was able to dremel out the center to a reasonable reproduction of the original in less than 1/2 hour. The HPI Savage brake pads #87150 fit perfectly and the system actually works better than the original system. Thanks for your input Anthoop, saved me some money and I actually enjoyed working it all out.

-Goat-
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Anthoop

Good man. Glad you did not lose any blood in the procedure.