Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy help please...?!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Rusty22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy help please...?!

Okay so I am not new to RC I have a traxxas nitro rustler 98% custom, so for the most part RC is self explanatory. But the world of truggies is new to me and I have done about 3 weeks of research on which one i want to go with, my problem is when I see other people ask what one the responses all have to do with the "package" like oh well losi because it comes with spectrum and starter box... I have A spectrum DX3PRO have a starter box and all the other batts and so on.
Soo... My specific question if anyone would like to give input is which truggy is built the BEST, which one has the best brake design which has the better kit motor, which is strongest, and yes I know strength comes with weight so that means when everyone says the best... Losi) wouldn't that also be the most fragile? I don't want to take in off a curb and break something I spend good money on.. Please help I have done research but it's hard when I can't see it for myself and touch so others opinions are the next best thing.. Even if it may be partial to one in particular please tell why thank you so much I appreciate it and im looking forward to the conversation.
Mohammed and the models I'm looking at are
losi 8ight t 2.0
hpi trophy truggy 4.6
RC8T
ST4 G3
thanks again and sorry if I posted in the wrong spot on here
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Truggy help please...?!

you skipped the most important part are you going to race or bash? if your racing id look into whats run at your track nothing worse then needing alittle part  on a race day and having to order it. now with that said Stay away from the hpi trophy series for racing and bashing. because you tossed in the ST4 G3 im assuming your looking at brushless aswell. imo pick what power type you want first before picking a model. now i cant help on what model to pick from your list but when it comes to truggys realy any name brands model will be tough(excluding hpi). as with anyone they can only speak to there opinions but when it comes to strong and durable it is put alot on the driver. the way i drive i may break nothing on car 'X' but you could break it the way you drive we need more info on whats your planing to do when you ask those kinds on questions. for example the HPI savage X some people buy it to jump it 20ft and of course you should plan on breaking somthing at this point no matter how good the car is. if i was going to buy a truggy now for a KIT id go with the RC8T myself it realy has nothing to do with strength over other cars i just love the look to it. and for  a RTR id go with the OFNA Nexx 8t its a renamed CRT X2 ask most anywhere there know to be stupid strong

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Rusty22

Ok so I left some stuff out haha, so for the time being I will be running/ racing with my buddies on the track I built in the back yard, possibly in a club league or something like that once I find one around here. So I guess I'm looking for something I can bash around on jumps, and turn around to race it. (I would most likely have to put my o.s. speed and ercm pipe on to make it go? right)And with that being said I don't like electric I will never buy another electric. I like the work involved with nitro. And you said hip isn't strong? From the looks of it it looks like one of the stronger ones... But looks can be deceiving.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
echthelion

ahh ok the thunder tiger ST4 G3 is a brushless truggy im guessing you mean the thunder tiger ST-1

Edit: what are your friends going to be running? yeah the HPI trophy series are know to have alot of flaws

Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Rusty22

Yes it's the st-1 put from what I have seen and read its poorly built compaired to the OFNA NEEX8, 8ight t 2.0, and even the hpi trophy truggy...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Rusty22

2 of them run the losi 
One has a set up revo
And an rc8t 
Never even heard of the OFNA before..
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
echthelion

if i had to pick between the ST-1 and the Trophy id take the ST-1 and never look back.  the very well know for being strong thunder tiger  MT4-G3 is based on the ST-1 and shares alot of parts 1 cool thing i like about the ST-1 is they make a 2 speed kit for it slap some street tires on it and you can have alittle speed demon. that said it is a older model and wont be as competitive as newer models
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Rusty22

Okay and how about the OFNA? Is that a newer vehicle or has she been around? 
I really like the looks of the hpi but I'm probably not going to go that route, I don't even really like the 4.6 it has 
So that basically leaves the losi and OFNA.  I know the losi has a great parts backing... Are parts for the neex8 easy to come by?  
I have a traxxas rustler and I swapped the transmission for a jato transmission because it was a way better design for the brakes and diff. Gear. 
Do either of these have problems like that or truggys all basically the same with that sort of thing?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Rusty22

Oh and the rc8t 
And hyper st pro?
Jammin X2?
Sorry for all the questions
I just want to make sure I am happy with it. 
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM
echthelion

the Nexx 8t was released in 2012 if i remember right but it is a older model they just re released it. now there are other very good truggys out there the Mugen MBX-6TR and the Xray XT8 are two. when it comes to truggys and buggys there all realy the same thing it comes down to minor little differences. suspension geometry, where the Engine is mounted, weight etc
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 PM
echthelion

the Nexx 8t is the jammin X2 and as for the hyper id shy away from it parts could become a very hard thing to come by
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Rusty22

Ahh yes that's a good point, wouldn't it be hard to come across the mugen and X-ray parts as well or are they big name like losi, traxxas and so on?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM
echthelion

there big big names in the racing world and any truggy thats good at racing can be a good basher. when it comes to part support realy no one can beat traxxas here in the states not hpi losi etc and so on so comparing anything to traxxas is a unfair fight =P but when it comes to mugen and xray unless you have a local track that races them your going to be stuck to online ordering only this can be said about most rc but its especially true with mugen and xray now from what i understand mugen updates there models every 1-2 years and tend to stop making the pevious versions parts
rather quick in rc terms
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Rusty22

Okay and I defiantly want something that's going to be around if I like what I get I'll keep it as long as I can, thanks for your help I have a much better idea on what I'm getting into, maybe ill go with a revo and modify it for a track. But I appreciate the help thanks man. 

Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
echthelion

np im sure one of the forums truggy racers will chime in with some more insight then i can give. just gotta pick what looks best to you and what has the features and parts support you want. didnt say much about the losi but its a very nice car aswell but i myself dislike its look just one of those things like i said in my first post everyone has there opinion on whats "best" and you just gotta pick what fits you
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Rusty22

Yeah defiantly, i wish I could run the few I'm looking at to figure out what fits my likes before I bought one but That's the name of the game ill see if my buddy's will let me run theirs around the track to get a feel for it
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 PM
rcpowerhorse

even though it is an older car the hyper St is still good. It is built like a tank and the steering is also very good I have had one for three years and the only things that have broken were my fault
just to throw that in there
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
echthelion

ORIGINAL: rcpowerhorse

even though it is an older car the hyper St is still good. It is built like a tank and the steering is also very good I have had one for three years and the only things that have broken were my fault
just to throw that in there
this is true but with HPI tanking it with there job for being hobao's distributor id not feel safe buying one or saying to buy one

Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Rusty22

Yeah for sure the only problem is the hobby store does not carry the hyper st parts. I do love the looks of it though
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 AM
skippy7399

OK. I'm lost. This guy is asking for advise which we all know is going to be subjective, one person responds and so far has hyped up Thundertiger twice and dissed HPI twice (at least). It's just an opinion, but I feel he has them backwards. Thundertiger makes great helis. Cars however have never been their strong point. This is because (new) Team Associated, MRC, and Thundertiger cars are all the same. Look at Associated new line of entry level cars and trucks. Their fragile and cheap. HPI however is the US version of Europe's Hot Bodies. I have an original Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium truggy. The damn thing is tough as nails! And if your worried about weight. Go race buggies. Truggies are all heavy, but they handle the weight well. It's what makes them fun to drive.

Rant over. Now go buy what ever you want. Best advice anyone can give you is to buy what ever you local hobby shop offers parts support for.

P.S. This is not meant to show disrespect to anyone either. So no hard feelings.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rusty22

Yes it's the st-1 put from what I have seen and read its poorly built compaired to the OFNA NEEX8, 8ight t 2.0, and even the hpi trophy truggy...
Rubbish. Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? The Losi is slightly more race-worthy, but none is considered better as a basher than the ST-1, or tougher.

skippy, I'm afraid the previous poster has it right. The HPI Trohpy is one of the worst RCs I've ever seen, whereas the TTR ST-1 is one of the hands down best (bashers) ever made, there is truly no comparison whatsoever.

Some HPI products are good (though precious few recently), we are all waiting to see if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat and stop the rot that has set in for a couple of years now, crap models at exorbitant prices.

Having said all of this, you want a good truggy for the right price? Get the Hot Bodies D8T (yes, I'm aware of the irony of recommending a product from a company owned by HPI in light of recent comments, fortunately, HB is not afflicted by the HPI disease).
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 AM
echthelion

ORIGINAL: skippy7399

OK. I'm lost. This guy is asking for advise which we all know is going to be subjective, one person responds and so far has hyped up Thundertiger twice and dissed HPI twice (at least). It's just an opinion, but I feel he has them backwards. Thundertiger makes great helis. Cars however have never been their strong point. This is because (new) Team Associated, MRC, and Thundertiger cars are all the same. Look at Associated new line of entry level cars and trucks. Their fragile and cheap. HPI however is the US version of Europe's Hot Bodies. I have an original Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium truggy. The damn thing is tough as nails! And if your worried about weight. Go race buggies. Truggies are all heavy, but they handle the weight well. It's what makes them fun to drive.

Rant over. Now go buy what ever you want. Best advice anyone can give you is to buy what ever you local hobby shop offers parts support for.

P.S. This is not meant to show disrespect to anyone either. So no hard feelings.
no hard feelings but you indeed have it wrong =P so ill try to clear it up in my so call HPI diss im only refering to the trophy line of cars from HPI now i own a HPI firestorm and love the hell out of it. but id not touch a trophy with a 10 foot stick theres alot better cars for the price from just about every other company. about Hot bodies they make fine cars but as said in my other posts here when im refering to hpi i say the "trophy series" im not talking about any other models. now about thunder tiger the OP had said he thought that the ST-1 was weaker then the Trophy and this is just not true. if someone had asked whats a good eletric basher im sure Foxy would come in saying MT4-G3 and that car is based off the ST-1

and about HPI not doing there duty for Hobao thats just Fact not a diss

Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Rusty22

No disrespect taken, like I said I just want to get some info so I can make an educated decision on my truggy purchase. I completely realize that parts of that advice will be skewed because of personal preference but sometimes people's personal experience is good to know. 
I'm not worried about the weight of truggies in general I'm more worried about, if there are huge differences if weight from one truggy vs another.
 And I will look into the HB D8T thank you 
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny thing is there aren't supposed to be huge differences between the truggies, and indeed at certain pricepoints ($400 and up) there is almost no difference between them. However, at the lower end, all of the cars have some kind of compromise to fit into their price bracket. The question is where the making company decided to cut corners. There are two brands which CONSISTENTLY cut the RIGHT corners to bring their models into budget, these companies are OFNA (2 companies actually, Hobao (previously under OFNA, now under HPI) and Hong Nor) and TTR. OFNA recently acquired another company called TeamC, having lost Hobao to HPI (epic fail by all concerned), which are as yet unproven, but are the same brand as Absima and Ansmann in Europe, so should be acceptable quality budget fare, that OFNA is already famous for. I doubt they'll measure up to HObao, but we'll see.

Indeed the MT4 G3 is an RC of the highest order. it isn't cheap but at $550 RTR 6S ready, it certainly is good value if you're looking for something properly good and fast (electric), there are few better or better value RCs. Not that I don't like nitro, I do, it isn't for me anymore, but it has its merits.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Rusty22

Yeah I have heard its all gearing more towards electric but I want a nitro that has a good set up, I can always upgrade poorly built plastic parts. I am concerned about which truggy nitro has a good set up, better brake systems than the others? Better rtr motor than others? Shocks any different? That sort of thing...  The G3 is the same as st1 right? Just electric version?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.