Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Just unboxed MT4-G3 - Oil leak?!!? Pics inside

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Just unboxed MT4-G3 - Oil leak?!!? Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Parkeway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just unboxed MT4-G3 - Oil leak?!!? Pics inside

Hey guys -

New to the forum but I've been in rc since the launch of the e-maxx. That being said, three children later I thought I'd get back into the hobby and ordered an MT3-G3.

Just had it delivered and when I removed it from the packaging, I noticed oil on the bottom of the chassis - almost as if it were coming from above the removable guard. I looked under the center diff and can't really see a leak, though the spur has a little oil in the teeth. Has anyone else experienced this from TT with their MT4-G3? Is it safe to RTR? Is this a warranty issue or standard fare?
I've included pics though I'm not sure if it'll help identify the leak.

And before we run it, what are the exact places we need to thread lock, as I've heard that is always top of the list with this truggy.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-P
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0213.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1956068  
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Completely normal. Someone was careless when fitting the diff gasket/seal at the factory, it's definitely coming from the center differential. Funny thing is you would have taken that oil out anyway. When you refill it, I suggest 50k if you like wheelies, 100k if you want easy backflips. 20k if you like to mostly keep the front wheels on the ground. While you're at it, put a nice 10k in the front diff and 5k in the rear. If you plan to do extreme jumps, consider bracing the rear of the chassis. Apart from that and the fact you can expect the servo to fail sooner rather than later (again staple fare for RTRs, replace with quality), you're good to go. It's a great truck, enjoy.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Parkeway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxy
Completely normal. Someone was careless when fitting the diff gasket/seal at the factory, it's definitely coming from the center differential. Funny thing is you would have taken that oil out anyway. When you refill it, I suggest 50k if you like wheelies, 100k if you want easy backflips. 20k if you like to mostly keep the front wheels on the ground. While you're at it, put a nice 10k in the front diff and 5k in the rear. If you plan to do extreme jumps, consider bracing the rear of the chassis. Apart from that and the fact you can expect the servo to fail sooner rather than later (again staple fare for RTRs, replace with quality), you're good to go. It's a great truck, enjoy.
Thanks for jumping on this Foxy. You were right on the money about the diff - it was dry. I went ahead and pulled it and put in 100k. I also noticed that the LF shock is missing the spring "collar" (plastic) at the top. I guess Thunder Tiger is ginning these out so fast that quality control is a little lax.

Which servo gets the most props around here for the MT4?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That depends entirely on how much you want to spend. Personally, I wouldn't spend less than 80 bucks on a servo for a MT, and if it was for me to keep for myself, even more. A really good servo can make an average car great and a great car incredible. The MINIMUM specs you want for the MT4 are 200oz-in of torque (15kg-cm), and as fast as you can afford.

My budget recommendation would be this one... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Digital-Servo - This is a tall servo compared to standard (this is how they can make so much torque for such a good price), so you may need to add a spacer underneath the screws.

If you want something better, I'd go for... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Gear-Servo

For that second one, I STRONGLY recommend using at minimum a 'glitch buster' capacitor on the receiver, and in the best case, a cheap 6v BEC, such as this one... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC - it is a very juicy servo. So much so that some ESC internal BECs cannot handle it.

Although, as you probably know, speed controls and receivers have built-in BECs, they are very weak (space problems), and that particular Savox servo will pull a lot of juice, causing brownouts in the ESC and potentially loss of control. This is better or worse with different ESCs, but you gain so much from using a BEC anyway, its hard to justify running without one in any car. First of all it takes servo duty strains off the ESC, reducing heat and increasing efficiency, secondly it ensures perfectly smooth exactly 6v to the servo (some internal BECs put out low or unusual voltages, meaning you don't get full performance from the servo), but more than anything else, it provides the servo with enough amps to work at peak efficiency. For a big car like the MT4, its a worthy investment at only 10 bucks more than the glitch buster capacitor.

Last edited by Foxy; 01-11-2014 at 02:26 AM.