Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Looking for truggy suggestions...ie: I'm a newb and need help selecting an rtr trugg.

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Looking for truggy suggestions...ie: I'm a newb and need help selecting an rtr trugg.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Original Slim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for truggy suggestions...ie: I'm a newb and need help selecting an rtr trugg.

I looked and didn't see a beginner thread,so I apologize for yet another "What should I buy" post.

I'm not totally new to the hobby,as I have a Blitz in the Philippines that I enjoyed bashing around.

I think I would like a truggy. 1:10 would be fine.Looking for a durable truck that is reliable and not too expensive to purchase initially...maybe approx $200 or so?

Thanks for any advice...and Happy Christmas!

OS.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Dokioto

I would look into the Losi 8ight-T RTR if i was you. Granted both the electric and nitro version are both around $400. I have heard they are fairly solid for a RTR.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:08 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I good 1/10 scale truggy (4wd stadium truck) is in the slim pickins group of RCs. The only one I would consider buying, is the Hobao Hyper 10TT. That being said, I'm not sure how long that platform will be around. I don't see it anymore on Hobao's website anymore. So I am thinking the possibility of it being discontinued .

Next on the list would be the JLB Racing Cheetah.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Original Slim

Originally Posted by Dokioto
I would look into the Losi 8ight-T RTR if i was you. Granted both the electric and nitro version are both around $400. I have heard they are fairly solid for a RTR.
I appreciate the suggestion Dokioto.I keep hearing that model mentioned,but Man..the price-tag puts me off.

Originally Posted by RustyUs
slim pickins group of RCs.
Do we know each other Rusty?

Look..I know it as old model and all...but what about a Rustler XL-5...or a Slash xl5? I saw a video a day ago or so,and came away thinking that the Rustler (although quite old) might be a good fit until such time as I become interested in upgrading.Would the Rustler accept Lipo's later on in the event I decided I wanted to go faster,or is it an exercise in futility?

@$189.95,it is an attractive price.

Thoughts?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:05 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

I have a losi 8 truggy 1.0 with new toro esc/ motor combo ..im selling for $250 pm me ur number so i can text u pix..btw where are u from?are in pinas now? Heheh
Old 01-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Original Slim

Originally Posted by badboy2
I have a losi 8 truggy 1.0 with new toro esc/ motor combo ..im selling for $250 pm me ur number so i can text u pix..btw where are u from?are in pinas now? Heheh
Nah.I'm here in Coastal Oregon.Have a home in the "pines" tho?Are ya Pinay BB?

Ok.To the subject matter,I pm'd you,as I can't figure out how to set my new fone to receive pics,Yessir,need to address that little detail with someone who knows fones.

I will admit to you that I am reluctant to buy a 1.0,as I read recently that those parts are getting harder to find.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Original Slim
I appreciate the suggestion Dokioto.I keep hearing that model mentioned,but Man..the price-tag puts me off.

Do we know each other Rusty?

Look..I know it as old model and all...but what about a Rustler XL-5...or a Slash xl5? I saw a video a day ago or so,and came away thinking that the Rustler (although quite old) might be a good fit until such time as I become interested in upgrading.Would the Rustler accept Lipo's later on in the event I decided I wanted to go faster,or is it an exercise in futility?

@$189.95,it is an attractive price.

Thoughts?
Nothing wrong with a Rustler. Even though it has not changed that much since the original, tons of aftermarket parts to hop that thing up. You can go mild to wild with the Rustler. Adding LiPo batteries? Not a problem.

It's just that when posting in a "Truggy" section of forums, people usually automatically think of 1/8 scale 4wd trucks with rear wings. Truggies trickle down into 1/10 scale, but choices are fewer when looking for a 4wd truck with a rear wing...a "truggy". 1/10 scale truggies are basically 1/10 scale stadium trucks in 4wd form and with rear wing. The Rustler is considered a 1/10 scale 2wd stadium truck.

2wd stadium trucks (ST) are probably my favorite RC platform to drive, and why I surround myself with them .

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-02-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Original Slim

Thanks for the response..and the terminology explanation.I thought to look for something with a little more ground clearance (hence the belief that the Truggy designation had to do with stance) ,but I do like the 2wd trucks for sure.

I found an errant ad on Ebay for a Rustler vxl.Now..that sounds like something I could go for.It was listed at $189.95,but the vendor stated that Ebay had made a boo boo in the listing.

Is the VXL a bit much for a novice...or is there a power limiting option (beginner mode) that could be used to practice up? The only downside is that it is a bunch more expensive than the basic rustler...but maybe worth it in the long run?

Advice?

On Edit:

Looks like everyone is out of stock on the VXL model,and stock won't arrive till late Feb probably.Unless I could find a used one in great shape,I might have to go with the XL-5 and then upgrade later if I get the "gotta go faster" bug?

Anybody?

Last edited by Original Slim; 01-02-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: just like editing I guess :)
Old 01-02-2018, 05:42 PM
RustyUs

That's really something that everyone is outta stock. I couldn't decide for you. If it were me, I'd get the basic XL-5 Rustler, and drop in a great HobbyWing ESC/motor combo. Then again, I am more of an Associated guy. RC10T4.3 anyone?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM
RustyUs

Are you happy with the Blitz?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Original Slim

That's really something that everyone is outta stock. I couldn't decide for you. If it were me, I'd get the basic XL-5 Rustler, and drop in a great HobbyWing ESC/motor combo. Then again, I am more of an Associated guy. RC10T4.3 anyone?
I was already having that internal dialog...thinking that I could get some run time in and reacquainted,then add some go-fast later if the bug bit me.

Are you happy with the Blitz?
I liked it fine..but didn't get to use it much before we decided to return to the US...it was too bulky to bring home,but if I ever return,it will still be there,

Last edited by Original Slim; 01-02-2018 at 08:37 PM.