Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.
View Poll Results: A poll
O.S. VZB V-SPEC
32.84%
Novarossi 528XR
22.89%
P5
9.45%
WS7 ll x3
5.97%
other
28.86%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Truggy engine selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
JoshH37
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy engine selection

I'm looking for a new engine for my lsp. A couple in mind are N528XR, O.S. vzb v-spec, p5, ws7 ll, rb concepts 28?, Im reallynot too sure on which ones are most popular and am just looking for general advise and your experiences. Please if the engine you reccomend isnt on the list check other and post what it is and your thoughts. Im not too sure on info for the p5 or others or where i can get specs. The new stream of .28s look good but how do they compare to the .21s. Thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 01:57 AM
locobombero
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Truggy engine selection

JoshH37
I run a V-Spec with a JP-1 in my LSP. It is an insane engine. Almost worth every penny. I say almost only cause it has a primo price! One of the recommendations that I can offer if you use this engine is that you really need to tune the clutch for the weight of the truck. I have found that using 1.1springs on my RMV clutch it really allows the engine wind out a bit more helping to transfer more power to the truck. So take your time with clutch tuning when using the V-Spec cause it made a night day difference in my set up. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted 'other' with the RB TM728 in mind. This engine is a pig to break in but mine is just starting to loosen up and it is easy to tell that when fully on song, it will be an absolute beast of a motor.
I have Mugen ali clutch shoes fitted with 1.1mm springs. This set up allows the engine to idle very happily at slightly higher revs thus allowing the bottom end power to kick in with no 'lag'. The JP-1 pipe also aids the acceleration. The top end needs no assistance, even though I have not started to lean the engine out properly, the abundant power will really get it moving on the straights. All this is just my own opinion of course but I am sure that I made the right choice for my truck.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:52 PM
ofnaDOMINATION!

In my Ofna Dominator Hybrid I run a RB TM928 .28 motor in it. It FLIES!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Big-ED

I've got the RB tm928 and it screams, its on a msr 777t conversion.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

I have seen a sirio 21 kani 2 motor run in a mammoth st and a revo. One word to describe it INSANE!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Haulin bass

Ive got a vspecs(2) in my buggies and revo and honestly for a big truck if your spending that much coin get one of the big rossis or the728/928 RB the only thing the Vspec would have on these engines is fuel milage.that is Unless your one of those crazy people that like an engine thats smooth and slightly soft off the bottom, Me I like Instant wheelspinning power as It works increadably well with my driving style.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

the only problem with them. They only last about 5 gallons usually. The sirio 21 has that kinda of power you are talking about.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:43 PM
MaxxGS
My Feedback: (3)

I run a GS SUT CE with the Native Racing suspension kit. For the larger tracks with 200 foot straights I run the Novarossi 528XR from EB Mods. I also run the Novarossi P5 EB Mod version also. I use the P% for the small more technical tracks. The P5 has explosive low end torque but lacks the top end of the 528xr.

Both are good in my opinion it just depends on your track and track conditions. Too much power is not always a good thing. I still run my GS 25 MT engine in my SUT and have been very comptitive against some of the local guys I race with that run the 528 and such. The GS 25 does not have the same power as the 528 but if the track is technical I can sometimes out drive the guys with the 528.

My $.02
Old 12-10-2005, 02:32 PM
mgtman

rb c5bb or like said above ebmoded nova528 or hot modded and you will have more then you can handle imo i prefer the rody c5bb its just insane
Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
ItchyBum

hey guys i got a question that yous might be able to help me with, i have a thunder tiger ST-1 with an O.S. MAX 30VG and im not sure if its a legal motor to race with. I know its probably not a good choice anyway because of its size and wheel spinning torque but i got it for my birthday(its awesome for just mucking around and bashing about) so i dont want to get rid of it or put more money into new one if i dont need one. But my dad has a NOSRAM RS.28 Monster EVO, the 8 port version which claims to have 3.89hp, do you think that would be a better motor to race with or could i leave the O.S.30 in? Or do i need to go for a .21 or something smaller like that even which id rather not
Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Rbws72pro

I have a RB WS7II and I need to know if the O.S T-2050 pipe is a good pipe for it I had a JP3 and it worked well but I waqs wondering about the O.S pipe
Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 AM
RcRacer37E

Look into the axe rossi mamba, 199 dollars and it flat out screams and I get 10 min run times. Its cost is 50 plus dollars cheaper and will run with 300 dollar plus engines. Im not fond of the .28 engines in a truggy, its over kill and run times will suffer.
The mamba runs a standard glow plug, the V-spec runs a turbo, standard runs about 5 buck vs 10 for a turbo. Im still looking for that perfect engine and so far the mamba is right up on the top of my list.
For the performance and cost, the mamba is hard to beat.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

The LSP is quite a bit heavier than the regular run of the mill truggy and also uses larger 40 series tires, to my knowledge most guys run a .28 in them. You can run a .21 but it better be powerhouse .21 like the C6 or rossi plus engines with loads of bottom end like the 21-5K/T or P5. For .28's, the Novarossi 528XR and RB 928 are the kings of .28 power, usually to much power in any case. Something like the picco P3 or the drake .28 engine or the new jammin .28 engine (also both reworked picco P3s) will have more than enough power and arent more than $300. The RB928 is right around the $300 mark and is probably the most refined race .28 out there. The XR is just as powerful but has more of an on/off switch power band and is a little more $ than the RB.

MGTman, the C5BB and anything else C5 has been discontinued and the C6 BB took its place which even that has been discontinued, now the C6 BB T7 has been introduced, a turbo plugged version. It is the baddest .21 I've ever had/seen.

Rbws72pro, dont waist your money on the OS pipes for RB engines, I've never heard of anyone having any success with them. What pipe you use depends on what you are running it in. The WS7's are best suited for a buggy, but look into the RB pipes if you havent already.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RB C6BB T7 for a .21 or an RB TM928 for a .28
Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
2916jr

axe rossi mamba I have it in my truggy and it is very fast for only 199.00
Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 AM
TommyJ

Your search is over. Go out tomorrow and buy a O.S. .28 XZ - The motor will draw a crowd, it is so fast. I get like 8 to 8.5 minutes, running it in my 8ight-t, and if it is smooth enough to keep the tires hooked up on the light rear end of a losi truggy, then it will be perfect for anything else you put it in. The Bearings are standard size. The Hardware is HEX Head, O.S> set it and forget it tuneability and no hassles, and the pinch is not ridiculously excessive, so it can be broken in easier and faster, without cause for concern for those worried about lifetime being shortened if you don't put a whole gallon through a new motor before you lean it to race-ready. I used the Drake method of dumping fuel throguh it to heat cycle during break in, and it only took like 4 tanks, for it to clear out. Ever since, it has had the craziest bark, and crispest throttle response. Where almost everyone else has to prepare for larger gaps by lining up perfectly before hammering the throttle to clear it, I can cruise around traffic or use extra time to correct my line before popping the throttle right at the bottom of the jump and stll clear it with lots of room to spare. I have ran Novarossi's, O.S., Ninja's, RB's, Picco's, the list goes on... Nothing, and I mean Nothing has been able to touch the raw bottom end power run-time this motor has, and to get 8 minutes means you have to use less throttle to get around the track faster. Save yourself the time and trouble and give it a try. You will have more people wondering what the hell you are running than you've ever imagined. If you want to spare yourself the headache of buying ceramic bearings after a couple of gallons for it, just get a set of TKO's right off the bat and after a gallon, throw em in. You will not be disappointed. Trust me.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you rate the OS against the Ninja 28?? In terms of performance, value-for-money, tuneability, etc...??? I mostly bash, but am considering one of these eventch, probably for a new 8T RR or Hyper ST Pro, but possibly also to try in my current Muggy...
Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 AM
coololdude

I was at that between engine picking time for the winter racing and I found I made a good chose..I choose the OS 28XZ...and living in calif. and right down the way from Fusion motorsports I'm having jim hottinger mod this engine. I hope for some more fuel time but at the same time I've seen some Hot mods run and they are some of the most efficient engines out there for modded engines....(for you people that want to twist words....I said efficient...NOT BEST)....and I think this will really get my 8ight-T moving...I have a few buddys running this engine and its real fast out of the box...I'm hoping for more then just fast..."L"....I want ballistic[8D]
Old 11-10-2007, 07:20 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would opt for the OS they have had a good track record for decades (ok play on words), the local HS has 2-- 6 ft show cases of engines one is all OS the other a mixture of everything out there (all car and truck not aircraft). my ST-1 has the TT28 diesel conversion. If you read my posts on this you can see the issues I have an OS 28 conversion coming as soon as Davis gets it made up as a back up think rossi will be done too, So far so good on a couple of test runs martin
Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im a nova man myself.. dont do os, but the dyno shows that the os 28 and the 528xr are nearly identical. so saying the os is stronger than anything else is untrue...
i bet the nova lasts longer too!
both peak a lil over 2hp.

heres the os 28..

528xr..

if anything the nova looks smoother!

its all about the facts....
Old 11-10-2007, 05:26 PM
revopqrs

for those who cant read the charts the os maxed at 2.06 and the nova 2.03, but the torque of the os was 79.37 and the nova 81.01.
so that pretty much means the nova is stronger all around... .03hp doesnt make up for the torque difference.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 PM
ttoks

looking at both of them graphs, the nova is very peaky, then suddenly drops off, out of them i would no doubt go the O.S, torque and power are nothing are meaningless if it's only made in a narrow power band, really a lot of the .21 engines appeal to me more then a lot of the .28's.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM
revopqrs

nevermind...
Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
supertib

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.