RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Official HPI Hellfire Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 AM
sleeper341

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official HPI Hellfire Thread

Quote:
ORIGINAL: danbo5

LOVE MY HELLFIRE! Can't believe HPI discontinued it! Now they have nothing to offer in the "Truggy class". Iguess it's time to shop. Anybody know anything about Hot Bodies? Losi 8ight-t 2.0 rtr or XXL?
They do have the HPI Trophy Truggy now.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 PM
stussman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got back from bashing at a gravel pit i recently found. Sadly i spent more time fixing the HF than bashing (as usual)[]. Did give it some massive cart wheels on some bad landings which doesnt help.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
3130pembroke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

5th place ain't bad against pro drivers with new losi and mugens- congrats to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lj23110.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1413260   Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47395.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1413261  
Old 04-06-2010, 07:10 PM
thef@st1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice. way to show em you dont need top dollar stuff to compete.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:06 AM
stussman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 3130pembroke

5th place ain't bad against pro drivers with new losi and mugens- congrats to me
You are the hellfire master
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
sleeper341

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice! 5th place with your HF is great. Like Thef@st1 says - you don't need the best gear to do well.

The HF is still a great truggy. I'll get some pics of my baby up soon. She is waiting for an engine transplant at the moment.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:03 PM
sleeper341

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here are a few pictures of my HF. Sorry about the quality, camera needs charging so I used my cellphone.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:38 AM
stussman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got a modded sts 30 bump start off flea bay. Already have modded os 28s. Iam gunna bash the crAP out of it. I dont care if it doesnt last to long. I will let you no how it goes in my hf Ccompared to the os.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
3130pembroke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

these ofna wheels hubs work excellent on hellfire- fits tight over axles - removes slop. I put the +2 in front and +8 rear.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...enders&x=5&y=8
Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
RPaulG87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ugh, so my Hellfire is next to my mouse cage, right? Well apparently one of the mice got out, and decided to have a field day on the Hellfire, it ate the air filter, and then chewed a little bit on the carb sleve on the engine, air filter is no problem, but I don't know what to do about the carb sleve...it's the purple silcone sock on the throttle-body that extends in and out, I don't' even know if you can replace it..I guess I could try filling it in with silcone?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:12 AM
sleeper341

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

feed the mouse to a cat......................it won't fix your carb but it might make you feel better!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
stussman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: RPaulG87

Ugh, so my Hellfire is next to my mouse cage, right? Well apparently one of the mice got out, and decided to have a field day on the Hellfire, it ate the air filter, and then chewed a little bit on the carb sleve on the engine, air filter is no problem, but I don't know what to do about the carb sleve...it's the purple silcone sock on the throttle-body that extends in and out, I don't' even know if you can replace it..I guess I could try filling it in with silcone?
Thats funny as . Another way a hellfire breaks. The sleeves are cheap so easiest just to buy one.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
sleeper341

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Stussman,

Have you fitted your STS 30 yet? Does your HF like it?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:33 AM
stussman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The sts 30 bump start fits nicely. I havent run it much yet. Its had a stage 5 mod.Iam trying to sort out a pipe for it. I have an 086,2035,2060,jp3. I have read you need an sts pipe to match the timing but iam not going to buy one. Iam planning to try out the jp3 and 086 tommorow if the rain lets up. I no the sts 30 can make great power but quality can be a issue.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Gmoon71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys.. i'm a bit new to the nitro world.. I just bought a used Hellfire, and I would like to get into racing.. My question is.. what would be a good racing clutch setup to put in it? It has a Crono engine, modded by Rick Brake, and is setup for bumpstart. I was told, when i bought it, that the clutch is a bit worn out, and will need to be replaced soon. The flywheel still has some teeth left.. but is worn. Maybe just new shoes and springs?

Thanks to anyone who replies..

Gil.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 PM
KeithjV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dynamite Max Life shoes are a good choice. The springs will depend on your driving style and the track layout. If the flywheel is worn you might as well replace it too. They are fairly cheap. Good luck with the new truck

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...rodID=DYNP5180
Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
3130pembroke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm looking for some old style a-arms for hellfire- the original weaker ones first made. must be in good shape

Dropping a fresh jammin .21 in her for sat. nothing like a new motor
Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 AM
sleeper341

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put in my LRP 30 on Friday along with a JP3 pipe. So far my baby has had 6 tanks through her not running above 180 degrees and cooling in between but she's really starting to rip. I'll start tuning it this week and get some WOT runs to see how she goes, but judging from the break in I've been doing she is going to be mental!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
ham5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

riped my a-arm pretty good doing about 8 cartwheels off a jump. dogbone wouldent stay in. I used #8 rod this time.. i had to thread it threw the a-arms, tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56738.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1425757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66499.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1425758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97539.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1425759  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 AM
sleeper341

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nasty Ham!

Can you tell me what size bolts and nuts you used for the replacement where the arms join the bulkhead? I still haven't done this mod and am forever buying new bushings after splitting them and knocking out my arms.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM
ham5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

its just #8 threaded rod like I said, washers and 4 locking nuts. filed down, and drilled holes threw the busings. very stright forward
Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Gmoon71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys.. it's the noob again.. As i posted before, Ibought a used Hellfire SS, that needed new clutches.. Well, I went ahead and bought the Ascendancy Effortless Clutch Kit. (done deal) This Hellfire has the Crono Engine, that has been modded by Rick Brake. I wanted to get some information about this engine, so I called Rick, since he has had hands on time with it. He told me, that it's been at least 5 years since a Crono has been in his shop, and that I should send it in to him to strip down and give it a good looking over. So I did, he called me back today with some not so good news.. He said that the engine is just about shot. He said that it's a really good engine, and that if I want, he could completely rebuild it for $275. He also suggested that for $25 more he would send me a brand new modified Go-Tech GX-5R, which he says is comparable to the Crono. My question here is.. which would be more worth the money, and why? I am looking to race this Hellfire, if I can ever get it running.

Thanks,
-Gil
Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Chris79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Gmoon71

Hey guys.. it's the noob again.. As i posted before, Ibought a used Hellfire SS, that needed new clutches.. Well, I went ahead and bought the Ascendancy Effortless Clutch Kit. (done deal) This Hellfire has the Crono Engine, that has been modded by Rick Brake. I wanted to get some information about this engine, so I called Rick, since he has had hands on time with it. He told me, that it's been at least 5 years since a Crono has been in his shop, and that I should send it in to him to strip down and give it a good looking over. So I did, he called me back today with some not so good news.. He said that the engine is just about shot. He said that it's a really good engine, and that if I want, he could completely rebuild it for $275. He also suggested that for $25 more he would send me a brand new modified Go-Tech GX-5R, which he says is comparable to the Crono. My question here is.. which would be more worth the money, and why? I am looking to race this Hellfire, if I can ever get it running.

Thanks,
-Gil
Under no circumstances would Irebuild an old outdated engine for that much money! You havn't even raced this truck yet and you won't be able to tell the difference between a modded engine or stock. There are WAY better deals to be had LOOK HERE http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...prl&filter_mfr=
these are all .23 and up sized engines and there are over 20 of them under $200.

Honestly Iknow next to nothing about the HF truggy, only what i've heard,fragile, heavy, outdated.
NOT BEINGA HATER, just trying to help a noob. Because if your constantlybreaking, fixing, spending money and not haveing any fun you may exit this hobbyas fast as you got into it. But with empty pockets.

And if you really want to get into racingI would not sink very much money into the HF. Instead save the money untill you can buy a newer RTR or kit.

In My Opinion...If you are willing to fork over $300 for a new engine, DONT!!! Cut your losses with the hellfire and look atone of these. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...RTR-1-8-Truggy

Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 PM
KeithjV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With some fine tuning the HF will handle just as well as the newer truggies. That being said, I do have to agree about the engine. Before you drop that much on it check with the track you are going to be racing at and see what if any restrictions they have about engines. Also ask some of the other guys what they are running.
If you are set on spending that much though I would go for the extra 25 and get a new engine. Parts will be more readily available should you need any and 5 years is a long life for a nitro engine.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM
nitroexpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The HF is hauling about one pound more weight than the front line truggies. You're going to need a .28 sized engine. Forget the Crono engine. I run the Jammin .28, it has all the power you'll ever need. Not the best of mileage, but the price is decent.

Before you race, you should consider some of the posted modifications to increase steering and front end durability. It's a decent club racer, but don't confuse it with the latest designs. I've had 2 HF's (which I still own) and I can honestly say that my D8T would destroy it on the track.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=12788

Search this Thread