Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

MAYHEM ST ? 's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 03:08 PM
stingray5280

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAYHEM ST ? 's

I;m buying a new Mayhem st and i was wondering what parts i should keep on hand in my tool box . what are some of the things to look for on the mayhem st ? are there any real short comings of the truck ? I was reading that the shock towers are kinda weak , is that true ? and that some people were going through clutches often .what whould be a good clutch set -up ?
this truck will mostly be for just playing around .

thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
david8818

Default RE: MAYHEM ST ? 's

I HAVE ONE AND WISH I HAD NOT BOUGHT IT.I WENT THROUGH ALL METAL TO METAL SCREWS WITH LOC-TITE,STILL HAVE TO TIGHTEN SCREWS.THE RADIO BOX IS A ISSUE BECAUSE MINE RUN OFF AND FOUND A MAILBOX,BENT THE FRAME FRONT SHOCK TOWER.NEXT LEFT FRONT DRIVESHAFT CAME APART.STEERING IS VERY SLOPPY.WISH I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A HOTBODIES LIGHTNING.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Supermaxxin

That really sucks David. I have a Mayhem ST also, but have not had all the problems you describe. You are definately right about having to loctite the metal to metal screws. I had to do this to mine also. You said after loctiteing, your screws are still coming loose. I don't know why that would happen. After loctiteing mine I have had no problems with screws coming loose. As far as having a runaway, that could happen to any radio system for a number of reasons. I wouldn't blame that on the truck. All the breakage you had when it ran away would happen to any truck in the same situation.
Stingray, Just go ahead and get the aluminum clutch shoes from Sportwerks and that will solve the clutch problem. Make sure you loctite any screw that is screwed into metal.
Yes the shock towers are weak. They can bend but are easy to bend back. Sportwerks does sell upgraded shock towers but I don't know if they are any good or not. So far those are the only things I have found that I don't like. I think the Mayhem ST is a solid truck for the money. I know I have beat mine pretty hard so far and it's still kickin!!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
stingray5280

most of the reviews i;ve read about the mathem st have been great , it just seems that there not very popular for some reason , maybe there not the best race truggy out but they look to be a solid truck and a great bang for the buck with the nice radio systems that come with them .\ I just plan on using mine for bashing . I think it will the the revo a run for it;s money in the bashing department . With all the suspension adjustments it looks like you can get some nice ground clearance if you want to .

thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Biodragen

I have had lots of issues with the ST at first and some they day I got it--crappy assembly.
I have burned up clutch bearings after 2 runs, lost parts, broke rear arm once front upper right arm twice.
One axle came (rear) snapped off in a race and I did not even touch a thing, next thing you see is the wheel geoing by the truck and I was ***???

This is what I have done and it has helped.

The Shock towers are worth the upgrade---they are almost 1/3 thicker and stiffer.
I also upgraded the chassis stifners to the rounded ones verses the flat. This made it more stiff and less flexing.
The flex will mess with the mesh of the motor gears and center diff. Just give the truck a twist yourself and you will notice the flexing.
Also I upgraded the center diff to alum. In addition to that I took it apart and put in 10,000 wt diff oil.
This keeps the front wheels from spinning out. You could try to up the front shock oil to 70 wt first and see if that will do it.
For sure add a rear wing to it...this helps to keep the rear down especially when jumping and allows for more control with breaking while mid air.
I also put on shock boots to keep the shocks a bit cleaner.
I also put in 45wt oil in the front shocks and installed the threaded adjustments at this time .
The clutch shoes---take them off and put a thin washer on the posts and put it back together. This reduces friction and wear on the flywheel. Oh and dump the alum flywheel with the vented one, this helps cut down on it heating up. Also make sure you blow out the excessive grease in the clutch bearings other wise it will spin out onto the clutch shoes and make thing more difficult. www.avid.com is a good place to buy bearings at a $1 a bearing. Buy a dozen clutch ones and you set for a while plus it is cheaper than Sportwerks name on it.
Keep a can of air like for PC's if you do not have a compressor and handy at the track---who really brings compressors with them. Use this to blow out the bearings.
I also went down to 12 tooth on the clutch verses the 13t---little quicker.

FYI FWIW Stock specs RTR
Front and Rear shock oil 30wt
Front Diff 1000wt
Center Diff 7000wt
Rear Diff 5000wt
This is what I was told from Horizon.

I hope some of this info will be useful to you.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:04 AM
stingray5280

Does anyone know of a wing assembly that works for the mayhem st ?

thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Biodragen

The truck comes with a make shift wing---it is better than nothing.
I wanted to look into seeing if the Mayhem buggy one will retro fit on to the truck.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Ram008

The wing mount/wing from the Mayhem buggy will mount up to the rear shock tower on the Mayhem ST without any modification. It is a direct bolt-on. I removed the front and rear bumper on mine and replaced it with the buggy front and rear bumpers along with the wing/mount. The only thing that changes is if you remove the front/rear bumpers and replace them with the buggy ones the screws that go into the bulk are shorter.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:21 PM
stingray5280

thanks Ram that is great to know .
Old 12-31-2005, 03:02 PM
heavysavage

i just bought a mayhem st. so far im loving it. the parts i would keep spare in my box would be rear arms. i seem to break these easily. the short length of the car makes it really twitchy when jumping. so adding a wing really makes a difference. and adding a wing will protect the rear shock towers.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:28 PM
mayhem272

congrats wen uget it
i have the mayhem buggy and its totaly insane!
very fast
i havent broken any parts exept the steer servo i guees is shorted
ouch david thats not the greatest stories ive heard of the truck
its gotten great reviews!
the mayhem buggy has aluminum parts that is nice
aluminum shock caps,shock towers,cvds,wheel hexes
Old 01-01-2006, 07:11 AM
heavysavage

i got it about two weeks ago. going from a savage to this thing is so different. i took this to my local track and it does so much better than my savage would ever do. my st was so much easier to drive. maybe because the track is kinda tight. so far ive been keeping up and sometimes even passing the lsp and the jammin truggies. but my lack of driving skills is always my downfall. im still far from getting this thing tuned to my liking. right now its super rich. this thing is really fast and im only using the 7.5 mm venturi. i can only imagine what kind of speed i can get w/ the 9mm. anyone know how i can get a better turning radius out of this machine?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 PM
chicagonitro

I just bought a mayhem st its my first nitro but not my first rc car. I am really impressed with the quality of this truck it is well made looks good to race and bash off ramps although racing is more my cup of tea. I can say its not that easy to tune the factory setting seem to run really rich and anyone that could help me tune be sharing your running temps and needle setting would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
KY Mayhem

I have been racing electric on and off for a couple of years. This year I started racing nitro and ill never go back to electric. My first cars were a Mayhem buggy and a Mayhem ST. All i can say is that both of these cars are great. Sure you can go out and purchase more expensive kits but these cars are very durable and fast right out of the box. If you are having breakage problems I guarantee you its not the car. I raced every weekend in 2005 until of couse it got to cold or wet. I only broke a rear A-arm on my ST during that time. I was side by side with another car going down a long straight and we touched sending me over the tube and hitting a 4x4 post at about 30 mph. My buggy never broke and after racing in novice for a couple of months I was told I had to move up to expert. These Sportwerks cars are great to have. My buggy is a Pro version with absolutely no upgrades. I have istalled a jr z270 servo for throttle and brake and a JR z650m for the steering. I have Spektrum receivers in both. My ST has a few upgrades, the first and most important is the tires. The stock tires on my st were never ran and I upgraded to 40 series bowties with 23 mm savage adapters. I also changed to the new 5mm shock towers(stock are weak), they are a lot stroger and great looking. I have put shock collars on my shocks. I have installed a mayhem buggy wing which like someone said is a direct fit. The wing is more for shock tower protection than anything but to install it you will have to do some body cutting. I seen a few guys use different wings like the Muegens but it broke due to being so tall. I change the diff fluid a little, I put 7000wt in the center and left the other diffs alone. It cut down a bit on front wheel ballooning and it still does it a little but I got used to it. Ihave a JR z590m for throttle and breaks and a JR z650m on steering which is the minimum you need to have. Of course you need to loctite everything and if you are still having screws come loose than maybe your loctite isn't strong enough. I use permatex medium grade and it works great. The engines in both are durable and fast and you do need to upgrade to aluminum shoes. The bottom line is that right out of the box this truck is a beast and I love it.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53652.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	384362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77807.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	384363  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:15 PM
stingray5280

thanks for the info ky mayhem , i have a brand new st , but havent had the time to break it in yet . cant wait , i put the aluminuim clucth on and the upgraded torsion stiffeners . i bought the wing and mount also and extra arms and shock boots and cvd boots .mines just mostly for bashing , should be fun
Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 PM
mayhem272

hey stingray where did ya get the aluminum clutch? i could use one for my mayhem buggy rtr
just to tell ya they are very powerful motors
and for a new one its only $135 about
have fun
Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 PM
stingray5280

i got mine from horizonhobby.com http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=SWK9198

sportwerks has 17 pages of parts for the mayhem /ST http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByB...D=SWK&CatID=CS
Old 01-11-2006, 04:00 PM
KY Mayhem

I couldn't imagine bashing with my truck. If you have a local track you should try it out. It will compete with the other high dollar cars out there. Plus you will see that it is one of the more durable trucks on the market. Have fun
Old 01-16-2006, 10:52 PM
ramfactor

ORIGINAL: KY Mayhem

The stock tires on my st were never ran and I upgraded to 40 series bowties with 23 mm savage adapters.

Are the 23mm savage adapters a direct bolt on. No modifications? I ordered the LST adapters and they don't fit. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 AM
KY Mayhem

Yes the savage 23mm adapters are a direct fit. The only thing you may want to do is use shims to take out some of the play. There isnt much play and i personally didnt use any, but there is a little and i do mean a little play. Also go to a local hardware store and get some nylon lock nuts to use. The stock lock nuts used to hold on the wheels are a little too thick and the actual locking part doesnt cover enough of the axel. I have used the stock nuts and put some thread lock on them but it is a pain to get them off without breaking the axels. if for some reason you use the stock nuts and do break the axel dont buy the entire cvd package. You can get just the broken part from horizon and its a lot cheaper, Happy to help, Ky Mayhem
Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 AM
KY Mayhem

I wanted to clear up something i said in my first post. I said that a couple of guys used Mugen wings. Thet did but the were not a direct fit. You have to use some fabrication. I have contacted sportwerks to see if the plan to make a taller version and they tell me NO. That stinks. I wish they would make one designed for the st so that you wouldnt have to cut your body.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:52 PM
stingray5280

I;ve been very happy with my mayhem st so far . i;ve only ran about 10 tanks threw but it is much faster then my friends stock revo , much faster . has anyone had to upgrade to aluminuim diff cups , how do the stock diffs hold up ?
everything seems to right so far.does anyone have a link to the 23mm hex adapters / I would like to go with 40 series for this truck . Has any heard of the extended chassis that there suppose to come out with ?

thanks

Old 01-17-2006, 02:03 PM
tzque

I think I am happier with my radio than the truck . I am working out some bugs with the truck but overall I like it .I finally got it in the dirt and was amazed . Truggy defines it best . It handled great but got up and over the snow and grass .
My biggest problem is my son likes it to much . i had to take the time to fix his Tmaxx to get my controller back . After putting out the money for the truck I wanted to wait on the tire upgrade ,. I am just not sure how long I can wait .
Old 01-17-2006, 03:10 PM
KY Mayhem

Just make sure you get Savage 23mm adapters. I raced for 1 whole season without doing anything to the diffs. They held up great. Just make sure to check the fluid once in a while.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:13 PM
KY Mayhem

I have heard there will be a longer chassis in the future. Until they put a price on it and start selling its just a rumor in my book. LOL Im just wishing for longer wing mounts.[img][/img]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.