Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Servo choice for Jammin CRT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Servo choice for Jammin CRT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
AUTOMAG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo choice for Jammin CRT

Hey was thinking of getting a Hitec HS-5955TG servo for steering duties on my jammin .I could get one for $104.Would this be a good choice? thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 09:56 PM
E_clips

Default RE: Servo choice for Jammin CRT

333 oz/in @ 6v.

I would call this a case of brutal overkill but that seems to be the theme nowadays. Make sure you set your endpoints properly as the mechanical limits of your steering won't stop that servo fom completing it's swing. It will literally pull your steering apart. I run a Hitec HS-5625MG @ 6v (133 oz/in) in my LSP-R w/proline maxx bowties (much heavier than the CRT) without any problems.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:19 AM
speedracer1129

airtronics 94358z
Old 03-16-2006, 05:41 PM
AUTOMAG

Thanks for the help . My CRT has an airtronics 94161 in there currently , that puts out 135oz/in. Eclips, I would want a servo to put out some what more than that as an upgrade.I think the servo that speedracer1129 suggests would be a nice one@200oz/in. but for another 4 bucks could could get an extra 100oz/in. with the Hi tec i was looking at .Bone stock my CRT is steering very well although i havent run it though grass yet.i bet a 200 oz servo would be the ticket but over kill has its place Tower has the 358z for 99$. One reason i want to upgrade is that it will free up the current 94161 steering servo for me to use in the throttle brake position. Then i will be good to go.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:11 PM
AUTOMAG

Think ill try the airtronics 94358z. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:19 PM
1CE

jr 9000t is good too
Old 03-17-2006, 09:28 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The servo saver will protect you steering system form any overkill you choose to install

extra is always better that not enough

edit:

I just ordered a 5955tg, should be here tomorrow,,
I let ya know if it rips my steering apart
Old 03-17-2006, 06:02 PM
AUTOMAG

Good luck with your 5955tg. I bet it will work out great .I have the airtronics 358 on the way.I have a good feeling that ill be happy with that but if doesnt do the job for some reason, then ill go with that Hitec you purchased.Im glad the weekend is here and there was no snow this week. ill have a chance to try out my new fm radio. I want to continue running in the new engine. I have about 4 tanks through it so far . I guess running a few more tanks at a mild to brisk pace should then allow me to lean it out some.The next goody on the way is a BCE frame.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:45 PM
mayhem272

ORIGINAL: AUTOMAG

Thanks for the help . My CRT has an airtronics 94161 in there currently , that puts out 135oz/in. Eclips, I would want a servo to put out some what more than that as an upgrade.I think the servo that speedracer1129 suggests would be a nice one@200oz/in. but for another 4 bucks could could get an extra 100oz/in. with the Hi tec i was looking at .Bone stock my CRT is steering very well although i havent run it though grass yet.i bet a 200 oz servo would be the ticket but over kill has its place Tower has the 358z for 99$. One reason i want to upgrade is that it will free up the current 94161 steering servo for me to use in the throttle brake position. Then i will be good to go.
yea its 4 bucks but who wants to replace steering parts?
wen i get my jammin crt, i will prolly get a jr 650 retails for $50 new at lhs
Old 03-17-2006, 09:11 PM
AUTOMAG

Hey mayhem272. Hows its going? I wasnt complaining about the extra 4 bucks infact the hitec servo would seem like a good value for that price.I had some concerns about the voltage drain with that one and figured the airtronics 358z would work out great for this application.It will be several days until i get it here and install it ,so for now im running the stock servos which steer the CRT pretty well.Just checking the truggy over im thinking about cutting an opening in the winshield area to get some cool air to the engine.I also had an idea to get some screen an install it as a real radiator opening .
Old 03-17-2006, 10:32 PM
E_clips

ORIGINAL: had enough

The servo saver will protect you steering system form any overkill you choose to install

True enough, however, many racers using high end metal gear servos nearly lock up their servo saver to acquire more consistant steering. Most of your high end, MG servos can take more abuse than your steering linkages and I'm sure a TG 330+ oz/in servo is one of them.

If you servo saver is set up for a nylon gear/horn servo then yes, it will prevent damage to the linkage. If you have the servo saver cranked nearly tight (like most of the guys I know running MG servos), your steering linkage is going to come apart before the servo saver does anything.

Truth be told, you don't need 330 oz/in of torque in a steering servo for a truggy. It is overkill and the benefits of having a servo that strong are minimal if there are any. The point of diminishing returns is achieved at about 200oz/in. I personally wouldn't seek out a 300+ oz/in servo for my truggy (monster truck, yes). If someone gave me one, I wouldn't turn it down either.

I let ya know if it rips my steering apart
Obviously you won't that happen now that you are aware that it could.... but... crank that servo saver tight (which many people do) and let the servo make full sweeps for an hour or so of bashing or a dozen laps around the track and you'll see what I'm talkin about. I was just giving him a headsup, no need to be an ass.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 PM
E_clips

ORIGINAL: AUTOMAG
Just checking the truggy over im thinking about cutting an opening in the winshield area to get some cool air to the engine.I also had an idea to get some screen an install it as a real radiator opening .
You can put screen in the window as well.. paint it black (it looks better), use shoe goo or pop riviets with small washers on the back. Our track has a gravel parking lot and somehow, some way, those stones always end up on the track. The screen will keep em out but the air will flow freely. I think ROAR rules limit the size of the hole you can cut in your windshield, if you need an ROAR legal truck, might want to check the rule book before you do it.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:04 AM
AUTOMAG

Thanks for ALL the suggestions. I really appreciate them allot. It never occurred to me to screen up the entire wind shield area ".Great Photo" of the beast.. ill See wich kind of screen material i can come up with and go from there
. My servo is on the way from tower and im up early to go run the Jammin.Now all we need are some 70degree days ...