Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:56 PM
jaywax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

New lid, wheels, tires, and wing. Also, I picked up a new Axial .28. It is on!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30885.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	639540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37879.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	639541  
Old 03-11-2007, 12:20 AM
dirthead

Thanx for the info, helps alot jaywax. I just bought a spektrum radio to control this sucker lol.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Kemo

thats one of the best things you can do, good quality radio for a great quality car/truck [8D]
Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 AM
dirthead

My truggy came with an extra motor, a racer's edge surefire .32 it was originally purchased for the truggy, but I haven't tried it yet, what are your opinions on this motor, if any of you have any experience with it that is lol Supposedly it is a torque monster[:@] I think the stock .28 works pretty good, but I don't have much time on it yet.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:11 AM
jaywax

The TTR Pro .28 works great. I had some extra cash, so I bought the Axial .28. I heard it was a good motor. They are selling for about $120. I have no experience with the Surefire .32, but I'm sure it will have a crazy amount of torque. There are so many options available in RC. You do not have to go with a big well known manufacturer to get a quality product. The most important thing I've learned in my short time in this hobby is to have fun. Regardless of how much money you spend, something is going to break. (GUARANTEED) Run it like you stole it.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:02 PM
dirthead

Here Here!! I hear you, things will always break, that's why I chose the vehicles I chose, DURABILITY. I love these forums for the simple fact that I can get honest opinions from people, withouit having pressure from corporate sponsorship pushing thier propaganda.

CEN matrix, TTR ST-1 OH YEAH!

Name:	Vt56626.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	640290  
Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
dirthead

Hey jay I think the ST in ST-1 stands for STud! lol Enjoy!

They can't keep thier hands off! haha! It's a good way to stiffen the suspension!

Name:	Ge94954.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	646184  
Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 PM
jaywax

LOL!!! That is crazy. I posted the link to a local forum here in Central Texas. They are going to love it.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 PM
dirthead

So how did they like the photo jay?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 AM
RGX Blade

cool pic....!!!!!!
now that's a car wash.....LOL....
Old 04-01-2007, 03:47 AM
88 STEELERS

Jaywax, nice truggy u got there. was thinking of getting one, how's it been for you? Is the one on amainhobbies for $369 the newest st1? My first nitro was MGT for bashing, ready for my 2nd nitro. Got the truggy flu lol,would be bashing and later looking to race. any help would be nice thx.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 AM
dirthead

I love this truggy, tough as nails!

Name:	Db83961.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	654296  
Old 04-01-2007, 10:12 AM
jaywax

ORIGINAL: 88 STEELERS

Jaywax, nice truggy u got there. was thinking of getting one, how's it been for you? Is the one on amainhobbies for $369 the newest st1? My first nitro was MGT for bashing, ready for my 2nd nitro. Got the truggy flu lol,would be bashing and later looking to race. any help would be nice thx.
It is solid as a rock. I've only broken one part since I've been racing and that was a rear hub. I had a really bad landing and it cracked. It was only a $6 part. If you are going to race you may have to get a faster steering servo, 1/2 off set wheels, and the wing extension. Other than that you are good to go. It is really going for cheap on amainhobbies. They must be overstocked, because no one else has it at that low price.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 AM
dirthead

Do you think thr pro kit is worth a look, or is the ttr going to be pretty much as competitive?
I'm still waiting for my new reciever (spektrum) so I can run this Bad Boy![:@] I got a defective one with the radio.[&o] So for now I'm runnin my Matrix, notice the ttr pro .28 engine hehe, this thing screams!

Name:	Vt58704.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	654389  
Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
RGX Blade

we know a few places that are a little lower in price......
emails us for some info....

as for the newest...?? no there the same as the older ones...
like Wax mentioned get the offset rims and wing mount, really thats about all??
oh, and the buggy tie rod ends for the steering links....

the new ST-1 pro's are nice ....we have a couple...."Everything" is carbon fiber....
and the new front upper arms are kinda nice!!....
don't need to buy any upgraded stuff?? all compleate........
seen them here in the States for about $400.00

yea the servos....for sure for racing get some upgrades...but i was suprised on a friends the "Stock" ones were not too bad when for just running around,
on the track was a little tricky?
he got a new one new digital one for the steering (200 oz. @ .09 for 75.00 !!) and left the stock one for the Throttle......his truck felt just like most others when i drove his......
he did prety well with his over this weekend first time out with a truck, he ran buggies before
his was the stock ST-1
his changes were the steering link ends,offset rims(he ran holeshots) and the wingmount,
and his servo.....he made the top 4 first time out...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 PM
jaywax

Other than the carbon fiber, my ST-1 is the pro kit. I have all the red aluminum upgrades: front/rear braces, steering ackermen, upper brace and aluminum clutch shoes. I also have the optional TTR shock springs. You can get them all from amainhobbies. All the upgrades were about $100 total. (e-mail RGX he may be able to get the parts cheaper) I put in an Axial .28 with the dynamite 007 high torque pipe. (also the TTR pro .28 w/3 chamber low end pipe). They are excellent engines for my skills. I am a "SPERT" driver. (combination of sportsman/expert). Even though I have some upgrades, the stock truck is still a good vehicle.

I driven the CRT and Mugen truggies and the ST-1 holds up fine. They all have their strong and weak points, but pretty much the same. It really boils down to set up and the driver. I know some guys at our track that can drive anything and make it look good. I am a fan of RC so I like them all. I like to see a variety of trucks at the track. To be honest, there are a lot of awesome truggies on the market and in the right hands they will all look like champions.

If I had a $1000 to blow, I would get a 1/5 scale offroad. That HPI Baja 5b is NASTY!!! A guy brought one out to our track and it was awesome. The only bad thing is that you need about 4 or 5 people to buy one also or you will be playing by yourself.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 PM
dirthead

We're forming a club here in canada, and we had our first meeting tonight. It went quite well, we signed up 12 people.
About 20 showed up, and we took some nice pics. We're trying for about 30-40 members this year.

Thanx for the info guys really makes it hard to say no to the pro, for that price, but I'm gonna hold off for a while, wife would kill me, and then really hurt me if I bought another machine now. LQ <---- (laughing quietly)[&:]

Name:	Fd92858.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	654936  
Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM
jaywax

Is that your own personal stash of rc cars or the vehicles of the other members?

ORIGINAL: dirthead

We're forming a club here in canada, and we had our first meeting tonight. It went quite well, we signed up 12 people.
About 20 showed up, and we took some nice pics. We're trying for about 30-40 members this year.

Thanx for the info guys really makes it hard to say no to the pro, for that price, but I'm gonna hold off for a while, wife would kill me, and then really hurt me if I bought another machine now. LQ <---- (laughing quietly)[&:]
Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Wow, pretty nice cars.

John, I think I can claim myself to be killer of engines. I killed that STS somehow, AFTER TWO TANKS!! lol. I'm worse than Jason. Somehow the epoxy filler in the crankshaft came out, and ruined the engine. Don't even know how. It happened when I tried starting it for a third time. I'm gonna send it to Dadder's to see if they'll replace it. [:@]
Old 04-01-2007, 11:40 PM
jaywax

Send it back to Dadders. They should replace the engine. There is no reason the motor should have went belly up that quick. I personally saw you only run two tanks through the engine. Mike C. had a problem with one of his dadders engines and they replaced it. I think they will stand behind their product. Give them a call tomorrow.

ORIGINAL: MBX5T Maniac

Wow, pretty nice cars.

John, I think I can claim myself to be killer of engines. I killed that STS somehow, AFTER TWO TANKS!! lol. I'm worse than Jason. Somehow the epoxy filler in the crankshaft came out, and ruined the engine. Don't even know how. It happened when I tried starting it for a third time. I'm gonna send it to Dadder's to see if they'll replace it. [:@]
Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 PM
MBX5T Maniac

I sent him an email, so I'll be sending it in tomorrow. He said he'll see what he can do

Kinda pissed at the quality though. Belly up at two tanks is rediculous.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:23 AM
88 STEELERS

RGX BLADE don't u have the matrix tr? Which one do u like better? Matrix tr was my first choice but heard the drive cup wears down pretty fast love the body though. And what comes with the st1 pro for $4oo u said? and where can i get the cheaper st1 if i decide to buy RTR again thx for the inputs.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 AM
88 STEELERS

ok pro kit no motor and electronics. how about body,tires and pipes? Thx
Old 04-02-2007, 04:11 PM
RGX Blade

hey ya DirtHead cool stash of cars...!!!! looks cool.!!!

and Dang Mainac that is a big "Ouch".....did ya have it modded?? then it went???
sorry to hear that...that does stink........

well yes i used to run for CEN......i was up there,
(Way,Way Up there just look at the Boxes they Carry our "Logo")
but since we started "Making our Own"
it did not make sence to stay??? were still good with CEN i just do not drive for them.....
not sure how the other people feel ??
the trucks nowdays??? there all pretty good......but RTR's are just that..."Ready To Run"
"Sports" cars.....any of them.....even the ST-1
"Only Difference on the ST-1" from RTR to being flat out "Pro", the radio, and off-set rims
and the steering links,(the Hockey stick ones) and alloy parts but will perform like the ST-1 Pro
just doesn't have all the carbon fiber parts....and one or 2 slightly different items...
the motor like the CEN motor those 2 probally have 2 of the better RTR motors out there??
and i have to Admit, parts are a little hard to find for the TTR's well in my "Area"
there are only 3 shops here that carry parts? (Pegasus, Ultimate hobbies, and Hobby Town)
and now this guy next to us!!! his prices are Insane!!! the motors are like 110.00?? for the .28 pro's from TTR....
parts for the trucks...the towers are like 24.00 and 27.00 for the carbon fiber ones...
the alloy parts are like 20.00 for some of them.....not sure how he does it???
only thing is he doesn't do "Online" but we do.....(Humm, new idea??)
my brother just got 2 TTR ST-1 Pro's....since he was never "Sponsored" by CEN he stayed with his TTR S3 (New Flat Chassis) and older ST-1
I am still trying ours to "Reform the Bugs" out of it...but drove his the other day...
i have to say felt "Alot" like my Mugen i also have....
(I try everything,or buy it see what is the real differences?, i am a courious person?)

i would have to say of all the trucks? the CEN is probally the most compleate.."For a RTR"
Ironicly the TTR ST-1 has way better servos....but the radio is lagging.....
and the rims not being offset on the stock ST-1 leave you limited untill you get the offset rims and steering link ends (bout 4.25 for ends) and 13.00 for Set of rims (4)

the CEN cars and trucks:
in Euope and other countries, they come with "Some" the Airtronics MX3..???
here in the States, it is a Basic 20.00 AM radio???
and almost "Every RTR has a AM Radio" even the "Cheapest" FM radio is better...
and any 2.4 Gigahertz radio system will start about 150.00 and that is even better...
but like i mentioned all RTR's are to "Get you Started" getting the o'l feet wet as they say

as far as "PRO Kits" if i had to pick them....just my "Opinion"
would have to go as far as "Price" and best buy values in the "Long Run"
in no order.....
i would say Mugen MBX 5T, TTR ST-1 Pro, Jammin CRT and the Caster Truck......
(kyosho too but there kinda pricey??)
don't get me wrong the CEN truggy is good too,
BUT.............
off the bat we as the Factory drivers and upper list did was "Immediately" change out the diffs.
we even did that on the buggies right from the start, a year before the CEN trruck was even released.
Now the diffs are "Bullet Proof".....hard to beat for "Durability" now for racing? like i mentioned all most every CEN "Driver" not the consumers...we used Kyosho diffs.....or Gene's diff pin conversion.(when he finally relased it,best upgrade for the cars)
been allot of debate on this....mostly comming from the "Consumers"
but the "DRIVERS" were "Quiet" on the subject........(and for good reason)
probally why i got in some trouble...??? but i am all about the "Consumer"
i gotta buy stuff too.....

another minus.....and our company even offerd to include "Bodies" in the PRO kits...
the "Pro Kits" Do Not Include bodies rims or tires.......

after all my mods...(changing rear axles,to buggy so i did not need as many spacers it took allot of spacing to change to 17mm hubs)
Kyosho diffs with the Cen outdrives, jammin CRT front Knuckels(we all used them)

(stock CNC kunckles MXS13 you'll need to gind down the inside along the arm to get more steering,so most of us just got Jammin Knuckels)

Hot bodies center drive lines (there CVD) and changed out Turnbuckles so i could use a "Normal wrench" and K-Factory Hindge pin kit...( i hate E-clpis) and Modifing the front end so i did not have to take the entire front off to change the diif......
Oh, and changed out the "Steering Posts" there kinda soft Alloy? bent 4 sets of mine?
changed those to the "Kyosho Ones" there Steel" i never hit hard?? got hit hard.....LOL..
but
it felt pretty good....like every other truck i ever drove?? i never got used to driving it with the "Stock Diffs" it takes a certian kind of driving style i just never got used to it??? "Hops around a bit more in the "Back" with the stock diffs....i think even "Extreme Magazine" mentioned this too...???

on the turnbuckles let me explain, when racing sometimes you don't need to think about other things while your doing another.....exceptfor "Pillow Ball front ends"
on the trunbuckles and his can apply to all cars and trucks....for mine when the Car/Truck is "Facing Me"(Front or rear) if i turn the trunbuckle "Towards Me" say for Camber for me that is gonna give me "Less Camber" (or "Out") if i push it in or Turn it Inwards this gives me more Camber (Or "In") right or left side......
with the stock CEN turnbuckles there is a Little Hole..like .050 and when setting the turnbuckles
like i do and most pro drivers....the little hole is set to the far side on one side or the other making it "Real Dificult" to Adjust........
and for some i know some have encountered this....when Adjusting the links, you'll look at it and go....
"Do I go In or out on this side??"
little side FYI info......
going RTR again the guy here has them for i think 349.99 or 359.99 ??? for the ST-1's i can double check?? the pro's are like 400.00......(but they got "Everything!!)

but like any car or truck as many have mentioned.....if the place near you has parts go that route......better to be able to parts for your car or truck near you then waiting for the parts to get in.....CEN.Mugen ,TTR any of them....

if getting parts online is your "Only option" if based on your location on where you live?
(very Rual areas) or hobby shop is 40 miles away?)
get a Mugen or a ST-1 Pro.....(Way less in the L-O-N-G Run) and those parts are much less....
for the ST-1 if you already have one the BEC chassis will make it just as long as the Mugen MBX 5T and with the off set stuff....will make it Just as wide as all the other trucks...
but overall i like them all...they all drive good in the right hands.......
just depends on what works "Best for you" and your "Options" and Budget........
Old 04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Blade, I bought it from them already modded. And it died

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.