Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buggy to Truggy Conversion

I was wondering I have a OFNA MBX Pro. I would like to buy a Jammin chassis. Would the front, Center and rear diff just bolt on? I know I would have to get longer drive shafts. I'll worry about the arms latter for now I would just use hub extenders.
    I\'ve come here today to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and I\'m all out of bubble gum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Buggy to Truggy Conversion

I own both and MBX comp and a CRT....

I was going to try and use some of the darker coloured anodized parts from my crt to put in my MBX to get rid of the blue ano in the buggy because I got silver carbon fiber everything for the CRT.
    But none of the holes line up. The only thing that would line up is the top plate of the diff.

So from that, unless you wanna drill some holes not going to work. Allthough..... this thread has almost tempted me to go buy a CRT chassis
    and do just that
    X1CRT: Axe Rossi xs400 .21 / JP2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gearing on an ultra MBX Comp os all wrong for MT wheels / tires - all you'll do is burn up clutches, and have a turd off the line.

Diff gearboxes are all very different than the jammin crts ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how would i change my mayhem to a truggy? jus get bigger wheels and tires?
    -3evo- -r40- -r40- -rc10- -sav25- -revo 18 TM- -Mayhem buggy-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the MBX, you would be better off trying to make it a Blazer or mutilator I believe. The old Blazer was based on the GT LX LINE which is pretty close to the MBX.
    CEN GST 7.7,Pro .15 tmaxx, REVO 2.5R ,HB Lightning RR, OFNA Blazer SST ,Micro rs4,18T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the mbx is a good buggy to convert over to a truggy and actually very easy. the only down side to it is how much do you wanna spend before feeling you should have bought a already true truggy. the cheapest way to build a truggy out of a buggy is to buy your choice of wheels 17mm hex either offset or standard and glue on some komodo dragon's and mount a body. its cheap conversion and will handle similar to the buggy but more stable and don't need to do the big spur gear bull to run those big monster truck tires. and you won't get tire roll in the corners or ballooning of the tires. I'm not saying this is the best type of truggy but if your used to the way your buggy handles and you like that this setup will work great for ya. i did a ultra comp lx up to a truggy with the pcr upgrades for it with the tire setup listed above and i put on the mbx pivot ball front suspension and i can say that the big tire truggy's don't compare. my center of gravity is much lower and never see this one wheel lifting while cornering there all planted and in control. and you also don't get the dramatic gyro effect while in the air jumping.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why would putting bigger tires burn up the clutch?
    I\'ve come here today to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and I\'m all out of bubble gum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Added weight and Gearing changes with the much taller tires.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tazer_version_A

Added weight and Gearing changes with the much taller tires.
    Just down your clutch bell a tooth or two and you should be fine.
    Savage

07 WRB STi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is RCDriver's Buggy to Truggy conversion in their September 2005 issue. I would do everything they say in here, except for installing the 2 speed. I would just bring down your clutch bell a tooth or two. A one speed is all you need, especially for racing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36915.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	485032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez81169.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	485033  
    Savage

07 WRB STi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry about the uploading of pics. When I hosted them, they didnt show up large enough to read...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Li21155.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	485034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kg14932.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	485035  
    Savage

07 WRB STi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I keep the stock bell for my buggy in my truggy how will this affect acceleration and top end speed? Will acceleration be slower than the buggy is now, will top speed be slower? I think it's a 15 tooth bell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you go with the bigger tires it will be real slow on take off top speed will be good once you get it there. you have to be more specific on what tires you plan on useing so people can give you better answers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SavageSpawn

If I keep the stock bell for my buggy in my truggy how will this affect acceleration and top end speed? Will acceleration be slower than the buggy is now, will top speed be slower? I think it's a 15 tooth bell.
    Think of it this way... Say you have a Jeep Wrangler and you throw on some huge 38" tires... Your acceleration is going to be slower because you have to turn much larger tires than you did before. The same concept works with a buggy to truggy conversion. Change your gear ratio so you can compensate for the larger and heavier tire. If you're stock clutch bell is a 15t, then bring it down to a 14t and see how that works.
    Savage

07 WRB STi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I purchased the stock Hellfire tires and I have a 15t bell. But I can assume that take off will be slower with bigger ties than the stock buggies tires.

I noticed that most truggies have the plastic mud guards taken off, is this just for looks? I still waiting on ebay I have yet to receive the parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SavageSpawn

I purchased the stock Hellfire tires and I have a 15t bell. But I can assume that take off will be slower with bigger ties than the stock buggies tires.

I noticed that most truggies have the plastic mud guards taken off, is this just for looks? I still waiting on ebay I have yet to receive the parts.

Yes most truggy racers take off the plastic side flaps... Not really sure why, they dont weigh too much but it does make the truggy look a little, how do you say, faster...
    Savage

07 WRB STi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im in the process of converting an ultra MBX Comp to a truggy, I used pro-line bowtie MT's all around, and hub extenders that I found on ebay. as for the gearing I dropped down to a 12T clutchbell and it does ok on takeoff. Top end is pretty good but its not a racer yet. Im trying to figure out how to adapt the center diff to use a larger spur to bring the bottom endback where it needs to be. Stock it has a 51t spur and 14t clutchbell. so I figure if I can go to a 52t or 53t That should help a lot finding one that will work is going to be a different story though!!!!! but even if I cant find what I need, It's a hell of a lot of fun for Bashing which is all I could do with it before anyway!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

whats a good and cheap buggy the would be easy to convert or would it be cheaper 2 buy a gs sut evo?
    Traxxas Jato 2.5r

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ultra Series Conversion info - really the only real way to do this right .... if your an ULTRA series buggie devotee.

http://www.ofna.com/forum/viewtopic....ggy+conversion

http://perfplusparts.netfirms.com/conkit.html

I say the 9.5 buggy is the best - the violator or the Blazer SST .... it already has the wider 330mm wide illegal buggy suspension. Look for a violator roller off ebay ... $75-150

I just posted a thread on how to convert a 9.5 buggy to a truggy

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4520639/tm.htm

http://ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3762

From there -- you have many more additional upgrade options ... Tazer suspension and even chassis ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i think i might just buy a gs sut evo.i dont have much time to do all of that
    Traxxas Jato 2.5r