Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Who needs help with there MBX5-ST Mugen Rides?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Who needs help with there MBX5-ST Mugen Rides?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
GabeBoudreau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who needs help with there MBX5-ST Mugen Rides?

Hi guys and gals in RC Land. If you have a Mugen car or truggy lets discuss your setups, issues etc here in this forum.

So you know I did work for www.TCHobbys.com and run for the hobby shop and race with Mugen Seiki racing cars and trucks. The hobby shop pulled the plug on the racing program just minutes after my original post here.

I have been in the hobby since 1981 and racing since 1987.

I just came back from the Team Losi Winter Champs in Tampa Bay Florida where I placed my Mugen MBX5-ST Pro Spec into the main without practicing with it! I ended up finishing 6th overall.

If you have a qustion about your mugen rides or your Ninja engines leave them here. I will answer any reasonable questions. If you need help with another product contact the hobby shop at 760-721-1089.

Cheers!
Gabe Boudreau - #77
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61818.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	615114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42004.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	615115  
Old 02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
lanerbrainer205

Default RE: Who needs help with there MBX5-ST Mugen Rides?

on the truggy pic do i spot your tire coming off?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
pulpillo

Hy, I need help to setup the diferencial and suspension
Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 PM
GabeBoudreau

ORIGINAL: lanerbrainer205

on the truggy pic do i spot your tire coming off?
Yes sir it did. Good observation BTW.

For some reason, the glue didn't stick to the outside beads on both of my rear tires.

Within the first 8 mins of the main, my right rear was "flat".

After about 20 mins of the 30 min main my left rear tire was "flat".

At the 29 min mark my right front tire blew the outside bead as well and I finished with 3 "flat" tires and still managed to place 6th ahead of some of Losi's best drivers!

It just proves again that the Mugen Truggy is pretty fast, you only need ONE tire to finish in the top 10!

Gabe
Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM
GabeBoudreau

ORIGINAL: pulpillo

Hy, I need help to setup the diferencial and suspension
Set your diffs to 7,000 front, 7,000 middle and 4,000 rear.

If you need more steering go up to 1,000 in the center diff until it is where you want it.

On the suspension I run 450 Mugen oil front and rear. Right now I have my front shocks with the RED Pro Spec spring and middle on the arm, Second hole from the middle out on the top shocktower.

On the rear, I have the WHITE MBX5R option springs. This makes the truck STIFFER in the rear end and gives less side bite. I did this so my truck would steer harder on power which it does.

You probably won't like my setup at all. I drive with MASSIVE amounts of front steering. I use the AWD aspect of the truggy to keep from spinning in the turns. This helps my truck carry more corner speed and go faster, but for the average racer or driver, it will be like ICE SKATING on a frozen pond with bowling shoes on. Very slick feeling I guess.

I like this feeling with my truck. I know I have the turn in power to pass other trucks during the race. That is what its about in long mains and in IFMAR style qualifying.

Hope this helps.
Gabe Boudreau
Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Do you drill your pistons out to 1.5mm?

Also, did you wash the tires before gluing them? The mold-protection stuff makes it harder for the glue to stick.

Also, could we see your setup sheet?

You also misspelled caliber in your sig. It might be wise to change that.

And how does a 5-10-3 diff setting work for you? Do you like it? I'm running 5-5-2 right now.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
tech5

Gabe do you use this set up at ARC? your truck looked good saturday. Also what tires?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 AM
lanerbrainer205

wow, thats pretty hardcore, 3 flats, yet 6th! u must be a pretty good driver... can u post some topless pics of those 2 mean machines [>:]
Old 02-10-2007, 03:49 AM
GabeBoudreau

MBX5T Mainiac - No, I run the pistons how they come straight out of the bag. Yes I washed the tires, sprayed them with motor cleaner, dried them, scratched them with sandpaper and I wiped down the beads of the tires with motor clean. I think someone put debonder on my tires. Pro guys have been known to play tricks like that at major races. I don't have a set up sheet but you could go to www.tchobbys.com and call up Mark Williamson the owner. He can tell you everything about that truck since he built it! I will look into the spelling error. Thanks. I was running 7, 7, 4 in Florida and it was dialed. I then ran 7,7,4 last Saturday at ARC when I tq'ed the pro truggy class and lapped the field in the 15min main. At Palomar on sunday i went to 7, 10, 4 to get the truck to turn harder on-power.

Basically as you increase the center diff fluid, you get more transfer or power at lower RPMs which translates into a "looser" feeling truck.

My truck was easiest to drive with 7,7,4 which is where i suggest you put your diff fluids and move from there.

tech5 - Yep - The only change I made at ARC was to lower the front ride height 2mm and then I went to BLUE springs on the rear of my truck (the option blues for the MBX5R.

lanerbrainer205 - I don't have any topless pictures of the car or truck. Sorry. I have 5 national championships and have been a member of the IFMAR A-main finals in the past. I can wheel with the best of them ;-)

Keep um coming!
Gabe
Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
myrc

What about shims next to your hub beaings to eliminate side play? Does anyone here use them and is it recommended if you have play?And if so what size in diameter? For mugen of course.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 AM
GabeBoudreau

ORIGINAL: myrc

What about shims next to your hub bearings to eliminate side play? Does anyone here use them and is it recommended if you have play?And if so what size in diameter? For Mugen of course.
Well, I shim the INSIDE of the wheel bearings so the load is transfered onto the race of the bearing instead of the shield.

I hope that makes sense. And it is a 4mm inside diameter shim. The axles are 4mm on most racing cars in 1/8th scale (and Truggys.)

Try that out!

Gabe
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM
russo11218
My Feedback: (-1)

this whole dffrential set-up thing always confuse's me ....right know i run 7-10 -3 .but i would love to have more off power steering entering turns .It is my understanding so far the thicker you go in your fluids the slower your diff's spin .Wich to me means thicker in the front means more steering and thicker or thinner in there center means more all around traction and for the rear i would say rear grip ?Please help me understand this better .bert
Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Mz

is the T an easy kit to build? is any component assembled out of the box? (such as shocks... etc)
by the way, this is my first kit.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 AM
GNX5T

Nope, 100% assembly required. I was impressed I didn't have to mix the oil myself. Being a kit is the best part. You get to put together what you are going to run. And, while you're putting it together all you can think about is, break in, racing, jumping, on top of learing how everything works.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 AM
happywing

Maybe I can get an answer that I've posted many times on many forums with zero luck. My question is about truggy width and wheel offset.

Is wider better? I have the stock Prospec extended hubs with 1/2 offset wheels. It is nearly as wide as it is long. How does this effect handling? Is there a legal limit to how wide it can be?

Also, which of the following methods would be best for setting up width:

Using extended hubs and zero offset wheels
OR
Using shorter hubs and 1/2 offset wheels

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:41 PM
j_blaze

GB are those shots from the losi winter race in february? that was my first day at an rc track and i have been hooked since then, thanks for coming out, it was a long drive for ya.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 PM
j_blaze

sorry, didn't check the dates on the posts
Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
happywing

ORIGINAL: happywing

Maybe I can get an answer that I've posted many times on many forums with zero luck. My question is about truggy width and wheel offset.

Is wider better? I have the stock Prospec extended hubs with 1/2 offset wheels. It is nearly as wide as it is long. How does this effect handling? Is there a legal limit to how wide it can be?

Also, which of the following methods would be best for setting up width:

Using extended hubs and zero offset wheels
OR
Using shorter hubs and 1/2 offset wheels

Thanks!
I thought this question was FINALLY going to get answered.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 AM
happywing

Expert? Where are you?...Expert has left the building.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. Yes, a very long time ago, click on his name and look at the date of his latest post.

You know what I'd do if I was you? I'd ask this in the Xray XT8 forum and pretend you have an XT8 for the sake of argument, you'll probably get an answer from a european Xray team driver. There's a lot of discussion about offset and width on the Xray forums, because the Xray truggy has a bizarre offset out of the box (it's one of it's problems actually, you can only use Xray wheels, unless you get hub extenders), anyway, this has caused Xray owners to become something of an authority on offset and width.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM
gil_millan1

hey, Gabe, do you run a ninja .28 or a .21 in your MBX5T?