Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Atomika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

@Goat Here's some on ebay (although the others I've seen have been yellow) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-53946...#ht_1347wt_973

Jupman mention the powerstokes tho so you might want to wait. If those shocks end up being good I'll prolly go with those aswell.

This is shoe goo: http://shop.theaidstation.com/produc...78275_zoom.jpg

You can get it @ Walmart, any hardware store or sports store. Usually runs between $5-$8 a tube. I use this stuff ALOT in this hobby. You'll prolly want to get a small tool box of some sort to keep all your tools, batts, lubes, goo's etc. in. I have a separate tool box for each of mine. These also work well for keeping your parts organized.:
http://www.spacesavers.com/Storage/P..._campaign=feed

As for fuel you should be fine. I ran traxxas fuel thru mine for quite a while but they only tell you the nitro content and not the lube. I switched over to Byrons as all the racers here swear by it. Some people make their own blend but I think thats more of a hassle than what its worth.

Oh and I notice you haven't gotten your Nitage yet. Break in is the most important part. Read thru your manual all the way. DONT GUN IT for the first 2 1/2 tanks. You'll want to do it lol, don't. Here's a good vid to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ownAV0MEtCw

The best spots for breaking in are vacant parking lots. I went to the top of a parking garage to do mine. That way you have plenty of room to work & run your RC for the appropriate amount of time. Be sure to get a temp gauge, you can do it with out it but its not advised.

& be sure you get a 7.2v battery for your starter as it doesn't come with one.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
-Goat-

Thanks again for the info Atomika - this has surely been a learnin process. Got about $80 worth of batteries(7.2v included) and chargers on the way and also a starter kit. Dang, can't wait for all this stuff to get here - I feel like a kid at Christmas

I have found a couple sites for parts, JR-RC, StellaModels and Vellrip (also a couple ebay sellers) so I know where to buy additional items. Now that I have reviewed the kit manual, I will be ordering some parts trees to help us get through the process on learnin how to drive these things after we get things fine tuned.I know we'll probably tear some parts up so I'll invest another $50-60 then I won't have to wait for new parts to be delivered.

Thanks for all the input, you guys have been great - I'll keep ya posted as I progress.

-Goat-
Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
coalminer

ORIGINAL: jupman

Thanks for the reply Atomika, but upon close inspection i noticed that i had my facts wrong. I tested it again at home and noticed that the flywheel was turning perfectly when i try and start it.

However, there was no compression. So i took off the heat sink and had a look at the piston and sleeve. In the middle of the piston there is a hole!!

So i have destroyed my engine somehow. All i can think is that perhaps i was a little bit too hard on full throttle for too long. I had run in the motor, it wasn't running too lean, ample air. Maybe i pushed it too hard.

Anyhow ordered another piston and sleeve.....then will see from there!
A little bit of advice mate, If your spending hard money on a new piston and sleeve, then I would recommend you change both crank bearings at the same time because they are probably worn and it would not be long before your swapping the piston and sleeve again.

The stock rear bearings are silly money but the fronts are a standard size and cheap, try sniffing out any local engineering suppliers for bearings. I actually got some from USA from a company called VXB bearings http://www.vxb.com and bought the bearings for a lot cheaper than the Tamiya ones, even with postage to England they are very cheap. I will get the micrometer on them and see what size they are as I cant remember off hand.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
lodeke10

Hey guys,
I'm a total noob here - my Nitrage is my first non-electric r/c car, and i'm almost through my first gallon.

A few days ago I was driving my nitrage through my neighborhood when it suddenly stalled. I assumed it ran out of fuel, because there was only a tiny bit left in the tank. However, once I put some new fuel in, and was about to re-start the engine, I noticed the glow plug was missing [X(], I couldn't find the glow plug, so I just stuck a new one in.

Now here's my problem; whenever i try to start the engine with the starter, fuel just sprays out the engine and the exhaust, and of course the car won't start. Sometimes it seems like something is blocked, and the starter won't even turn.

I tried removing the glow plug and then turn the engine with the starter (you do this when the engine is choked right?), but that didn't help, fuel just kept spraying out the hole.

What happened? How do I fix it?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
-Goat-

Hello all, it's me again!! My Nitrage came in the mail today and I can't wait to go through everything and then get er setup to run. I was lookin to see what glow plug I should get for a spare but can't find a N4 plug. Is there another plug I can substitute without having any concerns? 

Taken her apart this afternoon to check all the fluids and lubes, snowin outside so this will be a good project for the next couple days.

-Goat-
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 PM
jupman

@Coalminer :- Thanks for the tip.  If you could send me the size of the bearings to look for i would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
coalminer

ORIGINAL: jupman

@Coalminer :- Thanks for the tip. If you could send me the size of the bearings to look for i would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.
Jupman. visit this site http://www.vxb.com

The smaller front crank bearing is a standard 607-2RS 7mm ID x 19mm OD x 6mm kit number from VXB is Kit 7462

The larger rear crank bearing is a little more expensive. The original Tamiya one is a Swiss made bearing and very expensive , but I have used the VXB ones time and time over without any issues at a fraction of the price of the original.
The kit number from VXB for this one is kit 7009 14mm ID x 25mm OD x 6mm.

I am not sure what the shipping charges would be though to South Africa, but they were pretty reasonable to the UK the last time I had some.

If you have never changed any nitro engine bearings before, then there are plenty of vids on youtube to show you how to do them, basically I just heat the engine block gently with a hair drier and the bearings come out with a sharp tap on a block of timber or plastic etc.

cheers

Simon

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM
coalminer

ORIGINAL: -Goat-

Hello all, it's me again!! My Nitrage came in the mail today and I can't wait to go through everything and then get er setup to run. I was lookin to see what glow plug I should get for a spare but can't find a N4 plug. Is there another plug I can substitute without having any concerns?

Taken her apart this afternoon to check all the fluids and lubes, snowin outside so this will be a good project for the next couple days.

-Goat-
Hi Goat.

Well it depends upon what % nitro you are burning mate. The higher % nitro , the cooler the plug you will need. I run my Nitrages with a 25% mix and found that I was burning the Tamiya N4 plugs out soon. By the way the original Tamiya N4 plugs are like rocking horse dung to find. So because I run with a higher nitro percentage I use a medium-cold plug and a very good plug is the McCoy MC-8.

Try and stick around the medium plugs but dont go using anything hotter on this size engine.

Cheers

Simon
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Vava®

Igot my Nitrage....it's very nice car and I'll use almost in street.
I saw that exit an optional 2 gear speed, but way it's so expensive ? $100 is too much for this upgrade and I paid $229 for the car.
There are another way to put 2 gear speed in this car?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 AM
-Goat-

Thanks for the info Coalminer, I did some research previously and noted that the N-4 is equivalent to a medium-hot, so at this point I have a O.S. #7 as a backup. My friend and I have had them runnin and are all broken in (performed the break-in at a friends auto shop.

Last Sunday was a beautiful did so about 7 of got together and did some further burnin in and then just tried to get used to these monsters. Heck, we must have over ten tanks in them by now. They are wicked fast and handle really well. Our friends that were runnin Savage S's and high dollar trucks could do great wheelies and jumps but couldn't touch us when we set up a small course.  I have changed my rear shock to a dual shock system usin the shock Hop-Up kit for the TGM-02(part #53545. My buddy stayed with the stock shocks and yellow springs (part #9404697).  I will get some pictures up once we finish our body paints and decals.

Now for the bad news, my buddy hit one of the marker buckets while turnin and doin about 30mph and toasted his frontend. Bent shock piston rod and broke upper and lower A arms. Later in the afternoon my grandson was usin my Nitrage and somehow broke the servo saver. Oh well, parts are on the way from Tamiya, Vellrip and JR-RC, hopefully it won't take that long.

Anyway, these Nitrages are a blast [8D]

-Goat-
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM
-Goat-

Hello all, finally got some time to sit down and provide an update on my Nitrage. This truggy is a BEAST, after proper breakin I modded the shocks to the small TNX ones, 2 in front and four in back, mounted a TNX fuel tank, and changed to an HPI controller that a friend gave me. I have run over a gallon of fuel with it and so far only broke the spur gear,servo saver,lower control arm and 1 front shock. Most of the damage was from hittin a tree while tryin to stop from about 30 mph. Luckily I had ordered a ton of spare parts so fixes were quick. This truggy hangs with or outperforms the best. I finally have the steering zeroed in and have ordered the Nitrage brake bag kit and brake disc from the TNX so I can install front brakes. 

I have been havin a ball and I will post some pics as soon as I get the car cleaned up some. This Truggy is a ball.

Coalminer:the TNX fuel tank adds about 5 extra minutes to run time, really pisses others off when they have to refuel and I keep runnin!!

-Goat-
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
coalminer

Goat, I'm pleased you tried the TNX tank, I think its a far better design than the stock Nitrage, I like the primer pump and yes it does hold a bit more fuel too. I have never looked back since using the TNX tanks, No issues with leaning off when 1/2 way down the tank either.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 PM
-Goat-

Well, when this beast runs, it runs great. Seems to be gettin way hot after 3/4 tank of fuel. I hear the carb gurglin and then fuel spits out when I go to start it. So far I broke 2 roto starts when tryin to start the flooded engine (don't use a drill motor on roto start). Finally got an Ofna roto start system, modified the exhaust header and now gonna try a LC4 plug that Ofna suggests. I've been tryin to run it rich but it won't run worth a damn. Anyone else have any thoughts on overheating issues?? This is all happening with the body off and outside temps are about 83 degrees.

-Goat-
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
plopes

I have run eight tanks through my one Nitrage and i love it, two speed is awsome and upgraded springs and brakes are a must.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Atomika

Well guys its come time. I've decided to sell my Nitrage. Since I got my Losi I never drive it anymore. Dependent on how things go I'll either sell the whole thing out right or part it out. If anyones interested hit me up. & FYI It does need a new fuel tank & the rear shocks leak. I'll post some pix soon.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Lonsdale231

Hi people i have recently started using my nitrage again and have had problems with pullstarts, i have ordered the roto back plate for it, hopefully no more problems.

I was wondering if there are any definate upgrades that i need? like shocks, tank ............. im fairly new to the nitrage so any advice will be much apreciated.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 PM
-Goat-

ORIGINAL: Lonsdale231

Hi people i have recently started using my nitrage again and have had problems with pullstarts, i have ordered the roto back plate for it, hopefully no more problems.

I was wondering if there are any definate upgrades that i need? like shocks, tank ............. im fairly new to the nitrage so any advice will be much apreciated.
Evening, I have done quite a bit with my Nitrage,but have had continual problems with the stock roto start. I will dig out the list of parts I used to convert it to an Ofna style roto start that seems to work quite well and is alot cheaper than the original equipment. Although I have a heck of a time getting it to run, it is alot faster than most when it runs.

-Goat-

Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Lonsdale231

Thanks mate
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
-Goat-

Hear is the parts list for starter conversion of the Force .32 - all parts are OFNA brand

52093 - One-Way Bearing,Pull Start (don't be alarmed of the name)

50006 - Backplate,360Deg,Picco,Force

50012 - Shaft Long 160mm Shaft-Start

This appears to work better than the original system and way cheaper to replace if you wear out some parts. Starter wand is inserted though the rear car, between the shock and rear diff.

-Goat-
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
-Goat-

What follows are some pics of my shock & tank mods..... I had to drill an extra hole on the inboard part of the lower control arm to mount the extra shock.

-Goat-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53612.gif
Views:	86
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1798022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90411.gif
Views:	172
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1798023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45931.gif
Views:	85
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1798024  
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
-Goat-

You'll notice in the pics above that there isn't any engine... tore it down today and found a bad connecting rod...DO NOT OVERHEAT, hit 270 degrees a few times while tryin to get it tuned.

-Goat-
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM
coalminer

[quote]ORIGINAL: -Goat-

You'll notice in the pics above that there isn't any engine... tore it down today and found a bad connecting rod...DO NOT OVERHEAT, hit 270 degrees a few times while tryin to get it tuned.

Hi Goat . The mods look "crackin" (British for very nice). I like the dual shock job, that looks real cool. I need to resurect my Nitrages and give em a buzz around the park. I have been too busy with my last toy the HPI Baja 26cc gas powered car just lately. She is a "crackin" babe dont you think ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95138.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1799384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92078.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	1799385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83937.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	1799386  
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM
-Goat-

Coalminer, that is an awesome lookin rig(some would say "crackin"),plus being gas powered it must be easy to start and keep tuned. I just put a LRP .30 Spec 2 in my Nitrage and am waitin to complete the breakin. I'll post a pic of mine with the body and all real soon. Also,please keep feeding us info about your Nitrage, your tips have made my Nitrage worth keeping.

-Goat-
Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 PM
CaseyRobinett_2011
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Tamiya Nitrage but got a major problem....im afraid to run it anymore because i cannot find parts anymore for the truggy and its notorious for breaking so does anyone know were or even if there are parts for this truggy???
Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

TamiyaUSA has the parts but it is discontinued so you might want to stock up on stuff, ebay is another option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.