Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

28 Truggy Engine Discussion Thread..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

28 Truggy Engine Discussion Thread..

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 28 Truggy Engine Discussion Thread..

Um, well after much grinding, shimming, threadlocking, meshing, etc..., I just took it out and tried to start it..

It made the clutch pop off!!.... This easy-install clutch is maybe not so easy after all..... [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif] Finally got violent, scratched it all up, then thought, OK, let's take it off and I'll threadlock that bxxxx on there.. Then I couldn't get it off.. Kind of stuck as to what to do now... THink my only hope is to put it back in and try again...

Any other 528 drivers out there - is the collet that comes with the engine some weird size that doesn't work with many other clutches?? I'm starting to suspect that the collet doesn't match my new expensive clutch - but the clutch didn't come with a collet...
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 PM
stussman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tweedybird, my os 28 has approx 2.5 gal through it, not 1 problem. Has good pinch but not crazy pinch, starts easy, piss easy to tune and only on 2nd glow plug (os p3), tried a med plug and wasnt any good, seems to love the ultra hot plug, has big bottom end and mid, and a good top end. Iam running 20%. Ive heard its not as fast as the ninga 28 on top though. I cant compare it to the mills you mentioned as i havent seem them in real life. Supertib is racing his modded os28 this week. He should post results in a few days and i expect it will be dam fast.
I think you might be stomping all over the other mills you mentioned.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 PM
RCtruckRacer

Typically, collets are matched with flywheels. If your flywheel did not come with a collet, look for some documentation about what collet to use. Sizes on the collets of my vehicles (we're talking stock) varies by as much as a couple of MM's for length, and no doubt the circumfrence & taper varies by a similar percentage. I've always stayed away from aftermarket clutch systems, as I don't race much in 1/8 buggy where they seem to work the best. In MT, they seem to only work well about 1/2 the time and not worth the trouble. I don't own a truggy - yet, so I can't really comment on that application.

If your new clutch system did not come with a collet, nor documetation on what to use, see if you can find someone that uses that system and find out what their set up is.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Tweedybird

ORIGINAL: stussman

Tweedybird, my os 28 has approx 2.5 gal through it, not 1 problem. Has good pinch but not crazy pinch, starts easy, piss easy to tune and only on 2nd glow plug (os p3), tried a med plug and wasnt any good, seems to love the ultra hot plug, has big bottom end and mid, and a good top end. Iam running 20%. Ive heard its not as fast as the ninga 28 on top though. I cant compare it to the mills you mentioned as i havent seem them in real life. Supertib is racing his modded os28 this week. He should post results in a few days and i expect it will be dam fast.
I think you might be stomping all over the other mills you mentioned.
Very good to hear Stussman, I wasn't hesitant when I bought the os cause I've had nothing but good experiences with all the previous ones I owned, but it being new I figured I'd ask. I think the combination of the os 28, os 2060, and st-rr will be a killer combination, but only time will tell. I still have to finish breakin, I have 3 tanks through it, when should I start performance tuning?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
chrobar

Hey Patrick, is the clutch that you posted a link to amain the same one you are having problems with?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Truggies

I think I'll be picken up a new speed tuned OS 21 for the new XT8 i picked up today.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 AM
HerrSavage

chrobar, the clutch I posted is the RMV Speed 2.5 EXTENDED..

A lot of people here use the standard Speed 2.5(with carbon shoes) on 28's, and swear by them...

I think it would be more accurate to say that the problem is not with the clutch, but with the stupid useless collet that came on the engine.. Apparently you either have to replace it or shim behind it with various clutches...

I haven't tried an RMV clutch yet - this is my first one - but everybody here raves about them...

If you want to try one, here's the one to get:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7022
Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 AM
HerrSavage

Nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo!!!! This time the clutch held - the motor started and was on for like two seconds..

Then my starterbox was dead!!!... [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
qaiz

@ Patrick.

Owch, That sucks.!!

Give it another whirl.! And carry an extra car battery with you.! Id be pissed if that was me.!!

Thats why I love pull starts, all you need is the glow igniter thingy
Old 02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
slayerphonics

I tried using the collet that came with the LRP on the 8ight clutch it didn't work, I ended up using the one that came on the stock motor,
so I think its just finding the right size collet that sets your clutch in the right spot,

Wish i could tell ya a quick fix, but besides over shimming which isn't an anwser id give I think you are S.O.L.

Sxxx out of luck
Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
HerrSavage

Old 02-29-2008, 04:34 PM
u1arunit

I ended up using the collet off my new 427 engine with the Losi flywheel on my Picco P3 28 as well.

It's been snowing for freakin forever here though so I STILL have not run it!!!!!!!! AARRGGHHH!!

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

I tried using the collet that came with the LRP on the 8ight clutch it didn't work, I ended up using the one that came on the stock motor,
so I think its just finding the right size collet that sets your clutch in the right spot,

Wish i could tell ya a quick fix, but besides over shimming which isn't an anwser id give I think you are S.O.L.

Sxxx out of luck
Old 02-29-2008, 04:35 PM
HerrSavage

Winter really does suck....
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 PM
stussman

Tweedy, i heat cycled for 5 tanks while slowly performance tuning. I ve been running it fairly hard ever since. I have it in a old heavy hellfire and it really moves it along. I got a cheap deal on the TT 2035pipe and manifold and it seems a good overall pipe.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Tweedybird

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Called three local sorry excuses for LHS's today - none had a 775 motor.. I wouldn't be able to solder it in anyway.. So despite the fact that my work for Sat was cancelled, and I have the time..., this'll be an RC free weekend..

I know it'll seem like overreaction - but I'm pretty well sure now that getting this Nova was a mistake. I've already spent more than the price of the motor itself on secondary stuff - clutch, start-box(just ordered a new one with two motors..), etc... And even if things went well I was expecting gnarled diffs and clutches, etc... Replacing Muggy parts would require ordering from the States btw...

So, this engine is costing me €400 - that's more than my rent.. I could've bought a whole new truck for that... And right now (and for at least the next week), it's not even capable of moving...

An LRP Spec 3 Truggy would've broken in in five tanks, in all probability not fried the box, as well as given me almost the same power, for a tenth of the stress, and %25 less cost - just for the motor itself...

I'm now researching preheating options - yet something else to buy and to have to learn how to use...

I'm all for big power, but right now I have no power - and an empty bank account to show for it.... Not worth it in the big pic given what I want out of RC...
Heres what you need to do with that monster of an engine of yours. One of the guys I run with has an EB modded one, and his was just as a pain in the rear as yours is being.

First thing, Crack the plug and drop a few drops of after run in that thing to lubricate all the innards, and get things moving.
Next replace the plug but don't tighten it down all the way, leave it loose, (loose enough to crack the motor over with about 80% compression.

finally get yourself a hair dryer ( like the ones your sister or mother uses, Prop it up next to the engine and turn it on for like 10 mins. This will heat your motor up nice.
Also is a cheap way out of buying an expensive "R/C Motor heater" they try to sell you in the LHS

You have to work that motor in, its gonna be tough with all that compression but once it breaks in it will be alot easier to start and its gonna ripppp...

Good luck

TB
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM
madmax22

I do the hair dryer method. I sorta have to b/c the highes temp i have driven in so far w/ my Truggy is 45 F. So I like to let it warm up. losses a little compresson so your not pulling the cord like your trying to start a lawn mower. And its easier to get the temps up faster. Usually starts on the 1st or 2nd pull. remember to prime the engine. (Blow on pressure line till fuel reaches carb) then just pull a couple times. The ST-1 RTR motor is pretty tight. do what tweedy said crack the plug a little. Hope you get it up and running!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:58 AM
HerrSavage

When I get a new engine, I always put some ARO in, and with the header off, turn the motor over a few times so any crud has a chance to shoot out - or at least make itself visible..

And I know about loosening the plug - I do it on all my engines.. The preheating thing though is about impossible - I can't use the hair drier here in my flat, rush down in the elevator, pack up the car, and get over to the park in a realistic amount of time..

I guess now that I have this thing with no realistic chance to sell it, I'll have to fight against it til it works. But this is definitely my last high pinch engine...
Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM
RCtruckRacer

this is definitely my last high pinch engine...
You say that now, but wait until the 528 is twice as old as all the rest of your engines and still kicking butt. You'll probably change your tune! To coin a phrase.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM
stussman

you can get a battery operated hair dryer, good for your mill and you will always have styled hair.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM
azzman

Old 03-02-2008, 01:51 AM
HerrSavage

Uuuummmm... Embarassing little update to report... [sm=red_smile.gif]I was asking around in some German forums about what kind of replacement motor to buy..., and a dude posted a link to a thread where several guys were talking about how the TT Box is very prone to weak connections, and he suggested that maybe the motor wasn't dead after all...

I had already looked pretty closely and wiggled stuff several times.. But I went and took the motor out, and while holding it in my hands, I wiggled every possible connection. Then suddenly BOOM, it spun...(kinda' hurt my hand actually..[X(])

So looks like we're back in business... Now I just have to go buy a cigarette lighter and try to warm this thing up somehow before the next start attempt...

ps YET another weird thing about Germany, it's against the law to make noise in Germany on Sunday(in some places you can't even do laundry in an appartment building...), so using the hair dryer then running downstairs isn't an option...

Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 PM
redfox03

so for the LRP .28, the TTR 2035 pipe is pretty good? oh yeah, is it the short or long manifold?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
HerrSavage

I don't have experience with that pipe.. But after reading around a lot myself, I read a lot about the JP-2 being about the perfect pipe for the Spec 3 - so that's what I run(had it anyway..) And I like it...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
stussman

My TT box also had loose connections on occasions, a bit of a wiggle and all good. Yesterday i ran into it with my hellfire at wot and it didnt work but found 1 wire slighty loose in connection, both hellfire and TT box all good.
I have the ttr2035 and long manifold on my os28, good cheap pipe, dents easily though.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:40 AM
karlsyndrome

does the go .28 fit every engine mount?
is it sg crankshaft?
thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.