Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

28 Truggy Engine Discussion Thread..

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

28 Truggy Engine Discussion Thread..

Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 28 Truggy Engine Discussion Thread..

Well the truggy engine scene thread was getting a bit off topic, so I thought I'd start a new one for everybody who's running a 28 in their truggy..

So post up what you've got, pics, vids, etc...

I know most people say you need a 21 for racing, but what can I say, I just like 28's... I hear VERY different things as to whether you can really competitively race with a 28, so any pertinent comments welcome.. And in any case, you can definitely BASH with a 28!!...[8D]

So anyway, I'll start.. I just ordered a Nova 528XR, cuz it was going for a ridiculous deal - €199 instead of €369!! [X(] I wanted the OS 28, but got sick of waiting for rcmushroom to get them back in stock.. For me personally €200 is my absolute MAX to pay for an engine, and yeah, this Nova deal just seemed to good too pass up.. I guess it's going for such a good deal cuz Novarossi is coming out with 5 new 28 engines, and they want to get rid of the old stock.. The 528XR is an 8-port BTW, and the new top-line truggy engine will be a 7-port - and supposedly A LOT cheaper... BTW, a guy on this German forum said he called and asked if he could also get a similar deal on the pull-start version.. NOPE - €370....

Anyway, I'll just repost my clutch post from the other thread...

I'm getting ready to order this clutch, but am kind of concerned about the size of the clutch bell.. It's HUGE.. I can imagine it won't fit so nicely within the Muggy one-piece mount.. The company (RMV makes these for Mugen, is that right??) also offers some spacers, so I guess I'll have to order those too.. This is gonna be one expensive clutch.. 'Bout €80..

Then I'll get it all mounted up on my Nova 528XR, and my TT box won't be able to start it... [:@]

Maybe I should just buy a car battery for it.. NO idea about that though.. Do I just go to an auto shop and ask for a car battery or what??

Here's the shop I'm gonna order the clutch stuff from.. www.md-modellsport.de You can get them a tad cheaper on German ebay from a shop called rc-eifel , but you guys paying in dollars would be screwed.. I know amain has SOME RMV clutches, but I don't know if they have the Heavy Load version for 28's.. The original Speed 2.5 is THE favorite clutch here in Germany - supposedly the best you can get, even for 28's... Defo worth a try....

And some pics of the clutch.. In the last pic you can see how the bell was getting shaved by flexing in the chassis...

Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 AM
qaiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 28 Truggy Club - Discussion Thread..

Well Ill Start

I got an SH .28 P3 in my Hyper right now. This engines actually not that bad..!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxwh_BKH3wk]Heres the video, note I was still tuning the engine, it was running at about 90% potential. Still pretty good. This engine really supirsed me.![/link]

Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 AM
lazyboy12300

Default RE: 28 Truggy Engine Discussion Thread..

I did have a Nosram .28 in my Hellfire, but now i have switched to a GO .21 for racing (sorry!!). The nosram was silly fast but not very economical on fuel.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 AM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

I've got a 528XR in my CRT. I love it, but I'm also running a Fioroni clutch now.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:44 AM
adam-69

i got a go. 28 6p race in my hyper st, still tunning it though, only finished break in and i got it at christmas!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
vnmsgt

How much do those GO engine's cost. I have heard some people around me say they are no good but I have never seen one. I noticed you guys in other countries run alot of that motor and seem to like it.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 AM
adam-69

well i have 3 go engines and have had no problems with any of them, and my 21. was pulling my matrix faster than novarossi's and ninja's. the 28. is £130 over here, and its $209.99 on amain.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 AM
HerrSavage

Well, just got a mail from the Austrian shop.. I was expecting to receive the engine yesterday, but he says he didn't even get them in this week.. So best case scenario I'd have it end of next week..

If not, I'm cancelling the order and will be back in the market for the OS 28.. If anybody knows where I can get one for $285 or less shipped, do tell....
Old 02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
HerrSavage

LRP Spec 3 truggy at hopmeup right now for $160... Anybody driven both the PS and truggy version, and is the truggy version noticeably more powerful? (calling 2D...) I really like the LRP ps version I have for the Muggy, but yeah, the OWB does slip, and I like the idea of a few thousand more RPM's up top...
Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM
jombo

right now i have the xtm 28 WITH A STARTER BOX , yea i broke down and got it. so far not impressed with it , i am on the prosses to charge the 12vgell cell overnight and see if that makes a difference
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80830.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	879422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50384.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	879423  
Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 AM
HerrSavage

I think I might get my sister to get me the Jammin 21, just so I'll have a good race 21 if the opportunity arises...

I would just order the Jammin 28 from amain right now if I weren't in "order-limbo" from this stupid shop in Austria with the Nova.. He says he "should" get it next week.. Great.. And if not??

But the LRP Spec 3 truggy and Jammin 28 are going cheap from US shops.. I have an international discount code from tower, that would bring the price of the LRP Trugy down to like $140!... Unfortunately the Jammin 21 there is ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS more than at Amain.. Tower seems to have lost touch I would say...

ps BTW, sold the Picco 28 on ebay yesterday - for the minimum bid of €175 inc shipping.. So, €5 shipping, €5 e-bay fees, I get €165.. Paid about €138 or so for it in the US(plus all the hassle of packing, carrying it, etc..), so that means, if you add in the small profit, I'd be getting a Nova 528XR for about €175...(instead of €370.. - still its normal price here..) Normally I'd probably shy away from the Nova, cuz it'll probably just cause more hassle than its worth.. But for that price I had to go for it...

Got another question too btw.. I'm guessing my 2x LRP 3000 stick packs aren't gonna be able to deal with the Nova, so I'm gonna need a big car battery, or motorcylce gell cell or whatever.. How does it work with charging those?? With my TT Box came the cables for hooking up to a car battery.. Can I also use this for charging?? Cuz the plug fits right up to my LRP Quadracharger....
Old 02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
HerrSavage

Well, the €100 experiment finally arrived.. Ten days late, for €3 more in shipping, and along with the wrong plug (turbo 5 instead of 6 like I ordered...)

I call it "the €100 experiment", because if it starts spitting out diffs and clutches right away, I'll be selling used it for a €100 loss...

Certainly not an impressive looking engine.. We'll see though. Hope the Thunder Tiger box and my 2x LRP stick-packs are up to th task..... [:@]

Now just have to decide which truck to break it in in - the Muggy, or Hyper ST... I think the Muggy.. Though I bought the thing as a roller with I don't know how much through it, and I've now put about 6 liters through with 3 different engines... I also REALLY don't want the Mug to fry my insanely expensive new clutch... We'll see.. Pipe's gonna be Ofna 086.....

Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Tweedybird

O.S. .28 Truggy Only 3 tanks through it so far, and showing alot of potential

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74808.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	889417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18406.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	889418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25722.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	889419  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Oasis TR

I've run both .21's and .28's, for me I tend to like the lower priced .28's, just an opinion..but they seem to have about the same HP as the top end .21's, they just dont seem to get as good of fuel mileage..It's something I can live with..
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Muggy250r

well idk if a muggy is a true truggy so here it is (slideshow) http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=4e5baaf7.pbw ........that motor hauls! im going to either drop it in a buggy,lst2 or maybe a truggy depending on how much money i have lol
Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 PM
IL2mSturmovik

I have a 8ight T Mach 427 in my CRT (but with a LST2 orange cooling head, lol) and I am really happy with it. I put the LST2 carb on it for longer runtimes as power is not an issue with it.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 AM
HerrSavage

Yeah, I'm with you Oasis TR - I don't do expensive engines...* €200 is my absolute MAX - period.. I'd much rather spend €150, get five gallons out of something, and see if I like it, then get something else, than spend a ton on some high end thing and run it for ten gallons(with four trucks and a five month useless German winter - and a job..., that'd take me two years anyway).. Power-wise I think the Mach has everything most trucks need.. Seriously, I wouldn't have a prob having one in each of my four trucks... I just snapped up this Nova cuz it was going ssssssssssoooooooooooooo cheap...

*Back in Oct I bought a Picco in the States(for my LST2 - but decided the stock Mach was good enough..) for $170 - about €135 or so at that time.. I just sold it for €165(not inc shipping and fees..), so I made a straight up €30 profit.. Now this thing, which normally costs €370 locally, was going for €199.. Figure in the profit I made, and it's like I bought this Nova for the price of an Axial 32... Trust me - I follow German prices very very closely.. - this was just a stupid deal...

BTW, can anybody tell me - should I keep and use the turbo #5 plug that came with it, or send it back and demand the #6 I ordered??
Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
HerrSavage

BTW, any Europeans who might be interested, here's the link to the shop in Austria selling the Novarossi 528XR for €199..:

www.mkracing.info

Click "Verbrennungsmotoren"...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
HerrSavage

Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Tweedybird

Thats an awsome power plant Pat, one of my crew has one in his LST, Sick is all I'm gonna say.
Good luck keeping whatever you put that in on the ground.
If you put wings on the truck is would take flight

TB
Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 AM
qaiz

It finally arrived eh Patrick.

Looking good, dumping that in the Hyper I think...?

Just wanted to ask you where'd you get that clutch bell, looks good..?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 AM
HerrSavage

The clutchbell is specially made for the clutch - both under the name "Heavy Load" by RMV/Mugen...

Gonna try break-in in the Muggy and see what happens..

BTW, this clutch is totally cool to install (heh? - a clutch?? yep...) - you just slide it on and screw it down by hand.. (then tighten a bit with a normal wrench..) You don't even have to touch the springs or shoes - they're preassembled as a unit..

Amain has the 2.5 version for smaller 21's, though apparently lots run them on 28's too - with great success... It's an extremely popular clutch here in Germany..

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7022
Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 AM
stussman

Tweedybird, keep us updated on your os28. Havent got 1 complaint about mine, bashing only so far.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Tweedybird

ORIGINAL: stussman

Tweedybird, keep us updated on your os28. Havent got 1 complaint about mine, bashing only so far.
Will do, she only has 3 tanks through it so far, weather has been to cold lately but I'm looking forward to full breakin as spring is right around the corner.
First 3 tanks were with Byron Fuel 30% and the motor seemed to like it so I think I stick with it.

Hows yours running? fully broken in? Hows the power output? Low, mids, High? Let me know as mine will be up against a Picco 28, NR Rex 28, and Axial 28.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
RCtruckRacer

I have a mod'd 528xrs for my LST, and its almost too much power for that heavy pig. I only break it out for BIG tracks. In a truggy? I can't even imagine... I know a guy that runs mod'd ninja 28's in his truggy, and he is almost out of controll at all times. No doubt that engine will be similar.

Relax during break-in for that mill. Mine was hard to start for the first 8-10 tanks, ran like crap for about 10-20 more, then finally started to REALLY come to life. After around 1/2 gallon of fuel I thought I would try it out in a race. It was very inconsistent and I was worried that the mod job or maybe even the engine was bad. But it finally started to loosen up after about a gallon. I've never owned an engine with such tight tolerances.

Good luck with that thing in a truggy! Like TB said, put some wings on that truck and you'll be flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.