Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

MBX5T ProSpec or 8ight-T Pro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

MBX5T ProSpec or 8ight-T Pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBX5T ProSpec or 8ight-T Pro

Which would be better for racing, and have better durability? I know they're both race-oriented truggies, but what advantage would one have over the other, and which comes with the most hop-ups stock?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Mr.Slave

Default RE: MBX5T ProSpec or 8ight-T Pro

i thought the prospec comes with the most hop ups in the box dont it?

i like it better then the 8ight but what do i know..
Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
UG0TB4NN3D

I'd like to get the MBX5T, too, but the 8ight-T looks cheaper, and I'm replacing an X1 CRT with this. They are better than the CRT, aren't they? I really like my CRT, and if I could find something better than it, I would be amazed. xD
Old 02-17-2008, 03:25 PM
UG0TB4NN3D

Also, at a track somewhere around here, there was a race, and like 5 of the 8 drivers ran Mugens.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Mr.Slave

well i dunno what you are trying to do, but i dont think having an awesome race machine will guarantee you race wins.. its all up to you (but i asume you know this already)

then again you would have a PIMP truggy.. if i were racing i probably would have gone with the non prospec mugen (Cause its cheaper) but i just bash so the ttr st-1 does perfectly fine for what i do with it
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
stokebloke

i have owned both of these truggies and IMHO the eight t is a faster and smoother but weaker truggy....you need to be very " smooth and soft with the eight t whereas the mugen you can push hard.... All i can say is thet i sold the eight t and kept the mugen prospec....
But they are both very good truggy's i just preferred the mugen
p.s i liked the look of the 8t better
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
UG0TB4NN3D

Ah, I don't want something I'd have to be easy with. I want something nice and stout, but quick, too. Have you noticed any weak points in the MBX5T?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
stokebloke

The upper hinge pins wear quite fast and tend to elongate the holes in the upper arms and i have read that the driveshafts are a little weak...but as of yet i have had zero problems with mine....also again from what i have read is that the crt likes to be pushed quite hard if this is the case then i am sure you would love the pro spec
There are also a lot of nice hop ups to add to the mugen if you so wish i.e kingheadz,fiorini,k factory etc
Here's some pics of mine
first the eight t race roller that i sold IMHO the spots i found to be weak were the front hubs(plastic)steering arms popped off,rear hubs(plastic)broke a few of these along with bending the outer hinge pins,front centre driveshaft wars very fast think it is due to the engine being sat more forward and the angle of the front driveshaft going into the cup....the most common issue of the brake/throttle servo burning out DID NOT happen to me but i did spend a lot of time setting it up and even dremeling the upper centre area,also the rear diffs appear to have problem's they go very slack in the cases after a couple of gallons and i have read that it eventually will cause problems with the diff itself

and my pro spec with a few of the mentioned hop ups.......you seem to get better quality out of the box with the pro spec i.e aluminium hubs all round titanium link arms carbon fibre etc

Old 02-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Itsme7

+1 on the mugen. I love my truck, real top notch quality, easy to assemble, the instructions were good. Cant say on performance yet because of the weather, but im sure its good too.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
UG0TB4NN3D

Well, it's decided, I'm getting a Mugen. I've heard great things about it, and I really want one...So I'm getting one. xD
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 PM
gewaun

When are they coming out with new mugen mbx6t?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 PM
breakin2

No time soon. The new buggy won't be out until right before the Worlds and the truggy would take some time afterwards.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 PM
HighClassBasher

Go for the Mugen Prospec....I just bought one and man is it SWEET!![8D][8D] You can't go wrong with the Mugen
Old 02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: UG0TB4NN3D

Well, it's decided, I'm getting a Mugen. I've heard great things about it, and I really want one...So I'm getting one. xD
I would up date your CRT..Really..Buy the BCE Conversion and get the Ofna 16mm Big Bores..You would have a great Truggy..R/C CAR did a test on this product in the January 08 issue..Worth the money, Makes the CRT wayyyyy better than the Prospec..I owned both and the CRT was way tougher, way faster.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Th3pwn3r

"The upper hinge pins wear quite fast and tend to elongate the holes in the upper arms and i have read that the driveshafts are a little weak...but as of yet i have had zero problems with mine....also again from what i have read is that the crt likes to be pushed quite hard if this is the case then i am sure you would love the pro spec
There are also a lot of nice hop ups to add to the mugen if you so wish i.e kingheadz,fiorini,k factory etc
Here's some pics of mine
first the eight t race roller that i sold IMHO the spots i found to be weak were the front hubs(plastic)steering arms popped off,rear hubs(plastic)broke a few of these along with bending the outer hinge pins,front centre driveshaft wars very fast think it is due to the engine being sat more forward and the angle of the front driveshaft going into the cup....the most common issue of the brake/throttle servo burning out DID NOT happen to me but i did spend a lot of time setting it up and even dremeling the upper centre area,also the rear diffs appear to have problem's they go very slack in the cases after a couple of gallons and i have read that it eventually will cause problems with the diff itself"

I wasn't aware that the Losi had UPPER hinge pins. I only have 1 and a 1/2 gallon through my 8ight T and my center shafts show no signs of wear. Any servo will have problems if you don't set your linkages/EPAs properly. As far as the 8ight breaking easy goes...PLEASE. The only time my 8ight has broken is when I do something extremely retarded that would break any truggy. My friend puts his 8ight through hell and it never breaks, it's funny because when we think his 8ight is broken for sure it isn't. As far as dremeling the "upper center" goes I didn't have to do that either but I'm assuming your steering horn/link is hitting the fuel tank guard? Anyhow, the 8ight is a great truggy and I'm more and more impressed with it every time I drive it. The Mugen is nice too but most hobby shops don't carry replacement parts for them well, at least around here they don't. They'd be like "Mugen... what's that?" Okay, I exaggerated a bit but my local shops here in Chicago sure don't carry parts for Mugen even if you don't need them as they're pretty tough truggies but so is my 8ight unless I get a little crazy.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Oasis TR

..Losi tough..lol..I guess you must have gotten a "different" one than what most of us got..Mine seemed to have some problems with diff cases (I was not the only person having these problems either) My losi seemed to wear stuff out rather quickly also..The plastic seemed to wear out..A arms, Hubs, this type of stuff..I'm not talking about really breaking stuff but it was sloppy..a lot of "extra" movement in the suspension. I liked the way the Losi handled but was not impressed with the cost and time it took to make it work..The diff issue was also not to good either..I got rid of my 8T quickly and can say that the Quality of the Mugen is much better..Honestly if you race you should carry spare parts for when you break..I always buy a "spare" truggy for parts..always..
Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Th3pwn3r

It's kind of funny because there's at least 10 guys at my local track that are running Losi 8ight Ts and I've never heard about one problem with any of their diff cases so it must be a hit or miss thing. Oh and if you're a good enough racer you might not need spare parts unless someone hits you =/ As far as things wearing out, anything will, just some things wear out faster than others. It also might be due to poor maintenance. Some people have cars that last well over 250,000 miles and some people's cars don't even last over 100,000, it's all how you take care of your things.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: Th3pwn3r

Oh and if you're a good enough racer you might not need spare parts unless someone hits you =/ As far as things wearing out, anything will, just some things wear out faster than others. It also might be due to poor maintenance.
Nice..You dont even know me and you assume I cant drive or wrench..
Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 PM
UG0TB4NN3D

Well, I'm buying my dad a truggy, too, so I can either buy an MBX5T for him, or for me, but either way, there have to be two truggies in the outcome. Lol.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

Well then buy both truggys
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Th3pwn3r

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: Th3pwn3r

Oh and if you're a good enough racer you might not need spare parts unless someone hits you =/ As far as things wearing out, anything will, just some things wear out faster than others. It also might be due to poor maintenance.
Nice..You dont even know me and you assume I cant drive or wrench..
You've misinterpreted things. I never pointed a finger at you DIRECTLY so calm down. You could very well be the best racer in the world and the best mechanic, I don't know you personally or at all. A key word to look for in my post is "might". Even if I knew you were a terrible mechanic or driver I wouldn't bash you about it because it might hurt your E-feelings ^_^

Back on topic, I'm sure whatever high end truggy you buy be it the 8ight,Mugen or even look into the RR I'm sure you'll be pleased with any choice you make as they are all great performing truggies. Whether you can drive it great or not only you know but they all have the potential and so do you.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Oasis TR

..I've never misrepresented anything..My experience is that my Losi seemed to have a "few problems"..I have never said that the Losi was not a good truggy either..I have also seen some of the best truggy racers in the world break their "toys"..and nobody hit them..So breakage does happen..lol..
Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 AM
stokebloke

Ugotbanned asked..................any weak points in the MBX5T?MY reply was.. The upper hinge pins wear quite fast and tend to elongate the holes in the upper arms and i have read that the driveshafts are a little weak...but as of yet i have had zero problems with mine....also again from what i have read is that the crt likes to be pushed quite hard if this is the case then i am sure you would love the pro spec
Here's some pics of mine
first the eight t race roller that i sold IMHO the spots i found to be weak were the front hubs(plastic)steering arms popped off,rear hubs(plastic)broke a few of these along with bending the outer hinge pins,front centre driveshaft wars very fast think it is due to the engine being sat more forward and the angle of the front driveshaft going into the cup....the most common issue of the brake/throttle servo burning out DID NOT happen to me but i did spend a lot of time setting it up and even dremeling the upper centre area,also the rear diffs appear to have problem's they go very slack in the cases after a couple of gallons and i have read that it eventually will cause problems with the diff itself
so as you can see i pointed out weak points on both trucks but thought the mugen was a superior truggy...hence selling the eight t ...oh and by the way i dremelled the centre diff top plate as i was using a ninja at the time and the carb sat to far forward and the carby arm would catch the top plate!!!!!!!!!!Nice design
Old 02-19-2008, 12:57 AM
losiben888

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

..I've never misrepresented anything..My experience is that my Losi seemed to have a "few problems"..I have never said that the Losi was not a good truggy either..I have also seen some of the best truggy racers in the world break their "toys"..and nobody hit them..So breakage does happen..lol..
I think people quickly forget that the 8ight B & T have only been out for a year or so, they are new technology and there will always be a few issues that need to be remidied. No doubt there will be updates and new versions eventually and they will just get better and better.
I have both and couldn't be happier with them, I dont have any issues with wear and tear and they take everything that I can dish out.
Parts are fairly cheap, they are easy to work on and the diffs and shocks are the same for both the B & T.
It is hard to compare the Mugen because there has been previous versions that have been ironed out and made better.
For a new design and vehicle the 8ight is just awesome.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
slayerphonics

Interesting, for me if i'm not pushing the 8ight balls out it doesn't drive worth crap,

8ight is a tough truck, here is a pic showing the durability of the A-arms

Sheered the end of the pin off and broke the front brace.. a-arm was hardly touched, I've bought the replacment parts cost all of 10 dollars and it was fixed in 5 mins, thats the only thing i've broken. Maybe because i'm a good driver? I don't do WOT into walls. Its a tough truck

Here is a photo of the jump i speared when I broke that pin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36770.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	882981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36764.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	882982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83427.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	882983  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.