Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

St1 to racer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:47 PM
DS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St1 to racer

Ok guys you saw my post before, well now im looking to make the st-1 a racer. I dont car about comsmetic features right now, all i need are the inseides. So i need 2 servos, nice set of clutch shoes if needed, need more acceleration.. a pipe, right?, 1/2 offset wheels..the best for all kinds of tracks. Also di=o they still make a bce chassis for the st-1? If anything else is need link it from amainhobbies, thanks derek.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:16 PM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: St1 to racer

If you are dropping a couple hundred dollars right there, (200 on servos, 75 on tires, 100 on pipe) you definitely should look at a used roller of osmething else.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 PM
misasi

Ace R/C DS1015 Super Torque Digital Servo, LRP truggy wheels/tires, jammin big bore shocks, plenty of diff oils to find the right setup same goes for shock oil too, new engine and pipe for sure[if your getting a race engine you will also need a startbox], if you are using the stock radio you might as well replace that too. your looking at an easy $500
Old 10-05-2008, 04:56 PM
INTEGRA

BUY A KIT.....dont waste another Penny on that ST1

do i hear an echo in here?
Old 10-05-2008, 05:33 PM
DS

Are you sure guys, im only racing like 2 or 3 times a month. So no matter how much i throw into its not worth it
Old 10-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

What they aren't saying and seem to miss is if you buy a kit then you still need to spend another $500 for engine, pipe servos, radio. I would put the money into the ST-1 run it for a year get your skills up then see if you need to upgrade to a better truck.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:18 PM
DS

thats what im saying it was my first race, but anyway here is what im looking at so far in upgrades, Idk what to do. Also is the bce chassis worth it? Anything else im missing?
-pipe, Is midrange the best? $50
-2 servos $150
-tires, $50
-Diffs, $10
Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
The Hedgehog

Where are you getting LPR tires and rims for 50 bucks?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:03 PM
misasi

st1_racer does your track use a transponder system?

Anyways im a firm believer its all about setup. it all depends on how serious the racers are at your track. the new kits are better then the st1. but if you tune the truck to your driving style it can still compete. out of the box the kits are setup much better for racing opposed to the st1 having a more generic setup. My track is just starting out and my st1 can easily beat the losi at our track [in a clean race]. why? because i have more speed through the corners. on the back straight the mach does make up alot of ground but not enough.

i think people here have to much spare money, and instead of working on their skills and truck setup, blame the truck and buy the latest kit.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
sdp30

At this point you would probably be better off buying a Losi 8t rtr. I say RTR because you will get a decent radio and a good truggy right out of the box. it will save you money in the long run. I would race it stock and then up grade the parts as you need.
This way in my opinion you still have a better racer that is way more upgradable than your TT st1.
If your St1 is still in good shape you might be able to sell for a decent price buy the 8t RTR and not really lose a whole lot of money when its all said and done.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:07 PM
sorchyracing

ORIGINAL: misasi

st1_racer does your track use a transponder system?

Anyways im a firm believer its all about setup. it all depends on how serious the racers are at your track. the new kits are better then the st1. but if you tune the truck to your driving style it can still compete. out of the box the kits are setup much better for racing opposed to the st1 having a more generic setup. My track is just starting out and my st1 can easily beat the losi at our track [in a clean race]. why? because i have more speed through the corners. on the back straight the mach does make up alot of ground but not enough.

i think people here have to much spare money, and instead of working on their skills and truck setup, blame the truck and buy the latest kit.
I agree I have seen st-1s be competitive . also if you buy servos, pipe , engine , all oils and radio will all work in any other truggy out there so since you already have the chassis buy all that stuff and work on your setup and you can be competitive . and you can buy a kit later if you feel you need to upgrage all that stuff will cross over just don't spend to much on chassis parts just what you need
Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: st1_racer

thats what im saying it was my first race, but anyway here is what im looking at so far in upgrades, Idk what to do. Also is the bce chassis worth it? Anything else im missing?
-pipe, Is midrange the best? $50
-2 servos $150
-tires, $50
-Diffs, $10

Why do you need 2 servo's unless both servo's that came with your ST-1 went bad you should only need to upgrade the steering servo the throttle and brake servo should be fine and if it goes out put the old steering servo in its place.

Diffs do you mean diff oil if so then yes you need some its been a little while since I had my St-1 new but I think the RTR comes with grease in the diff.

Tires and wheels find some inexpensive 1/2 offset wheels and get some Crime fighters for racing and some Badlands for bashing. Ofna makes a good 1/2 offset wheel.

What is the bce chassis??? could you post a link?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
xjqkz

ORIGINAL: Pathous

What they aren't saying and seem to miss is if you buy a kit then you still need to spend another $500 for engine, pipe servos, radio. I would put the money into the ST-1 run it for a year get your skills up then see if you need to upgrade to a better truck.

Once you have this setup then down the road if you do wanna upgrade to the latest kit you can use the servos/pip/motor in that kit.

I'd recommend ds 1015 for the steering, its pretty much the best servo on the market.

As far as the truck, I'm a firm believer in: Winning a race = 90% driving skills + 10% car. (provided everything else... as in servos, pipe, motor .... equal)
Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 AM
DS

rcuniverse for tires, now whats the best pipe for the trr engine, a short, midrange, long pipe. I will probably get that servo for steering
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 AM
The Winner

KIT KIT KIT! I have not yet race but i have a kyosho st-rr kit!!! the RTR dont worth the money and you much spend a lot of money! also the RTR'S are from coyntries such as china,taiwan, etc and kits are from JAPAN!!! buy the ST-1 PRO KIT, put a lrp spec3 engine, Pro-line LPR with half offset, a good pipe, a cheap starter box and you go!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM
misasi

ORIGINAL: st1_racer

rcuniverse for tires, now whats the best pipe for the trr engine, a short, midrange, long pipe. I will probably get that servo for steering

My track is short with alot of turns so im running a bottom end pipe. However the top end on the TTR motor is utter garbage so you might want to use a top end pipe if you have alot of straights. At my track the losi 8 runs me down on the straights but if im on my game i make up that time in the corners.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
INTEGRA

a St-1 beat a losi in the corner's...HAH....TOO funny. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
beenbreto

IMO its all about the driver, Look at what happened in the worlds Hot Bodies? WOW not trying to start any beef But the RC8 Losi 8 fell with the rest Due to hot bodies! I myself and getting my ST-1 Ready to race just like ST 1 racer is. Upgrading the hell out of it but like misasi said "Set up is KEY!"
Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
misasi

Why is that hard to believe? shorter wheel base = better turning.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
The Hedgehog

I ran an ST-1 this entire race season. Beat a lot of Losi's, ST-RR's and Jammin's and am in line for finishing second overall in the truggy class. However, this was due to my driving. Put me in the hands of a different truggy and my lap times are better.

The ST-1 does not turn well compared to other race truggies even with the steering mod. A RC8T turns twice as well and allow you to take slightly different lines (better).

It is the perfect basher truggy and beginning racer truggy. I bought this before I even know I was going to beinvolved in nitro racing. If I had to go back I would have used that money towards a better setup, this is all we are trying to help out with.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 PM
marshon50
My Feedback: (2)

I personally own and race a BCE chassis ST-1. I too upgraded my RTR to a racer and am speaking from experience. I'm assuming you've already done the Saxton steering mod so the first thing I'd upgrade is the radio and servos. Buying digital servos w/ the RTR radio is pointless so get a radio first. I use the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_119/products_id/12290]Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz[/link]($190) but would also recommend the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_119/products_id/16275]Airtronics MX-3 FHSS[/link]($150) from a cost savings perspective, although I've never used it. Next is steering servo, I use the HT 5995 TG (it's been replaced by [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/25352]this[/link]) and would also recommend the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/5733]Ace DS 1015[/link]. If you want and can afford to replace your throttle servo use the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/5994]Ace DS 1313[/link], it's what I use. Or to save some $$$ use the stock steering servo in the throttle position. So for radio gear you're looking between $385 to $250 from my recommendations.

If your budget isn't blown, the next thing to buy would be tires. For racing the right tires are the most important thing. Find out what most people run on the track you'll be racing at and buy those tires, LPR sized with LPR 1/2 offset rims. To buy a set of four new [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_58/products_id/21629]Pro-Line White Pre-Mounted Crime Fighter LPR Half Offset M2 Monster Truck Tires[/link] is $74 although you could get it for around $50 if you check BST forums.

I wouldn't buy an engine yet. Learn to drive w/ the one you've got and save $$$. If you have to do something to upgrade the power plant, then put on a better pipe, the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_32/products_id/4637]TTR 2035[/link]. This is one of the better pipes for the money and great on the OS Vspec which is the engine I'd upgrade to at a later date. I'm an OS guy and the VSpec is my choice (actually I now run the OS 28XZ in my truggy, Vspec in my buggy) but there are many good engine choices out there.

At this point you'll have a fairly competitive race vehicle. I wouldn't bother upgrading to the BCE chassis ever; even though it's a great product the cost is too high ($130). Why did I do it? Well for me my driving was being hurt by the vehicle, not my skills, so the upgraded chassis was cheaper than the new AE RC8T for the remainder of this race year. That is the truggy that I'll buy next season and I have spares for it already as the TTR ST-1 diffs are exactly the same. Hopefully the price will have come down some by then too, especially w/ the frequency of new truggies hitting the shelves.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. I love my ST-1 and it's a very durable truck. Even when I buy the AE RC8T I'm gonna keep the ST-1 and may convert it to electric.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 PM
marshon50

I forgot to post the link to [link=http://www.bcespeed.com/]BCE[/link]. The TTR ST-1 isn't listed but I'm sure you can get it if you want it. As an FYI turnaround times leave a lot to be desired IMO, but the product fit and finish is top notch.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 PM
beenbreto

Saxton steering mod? Instructions please! Were to buy etc!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
marshon50

Basically you're cutting down the ackerman plate and connecting the front steering hubs directly to the steering rack. Check out [link=http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17753]Truggyracers[/link]for a detailed description. The only parts you need are longer turnbuckles, 82mm if I remember correctly from Hot Bodies.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48799.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1047013  
Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM
DS

This pipe http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4637 or this one http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9003 Also this as steering, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5733 Noe so far i thats what i picked out. Now does the thunder tiger need better clutch shoes? And is the stock clutch bell good, for a track with one straight away and tons of turns and out of those turns are come jumps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.