Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

8ight buggy to truggy conversion...anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

8ight buggy to truggy conversion...anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8ight buggy to truggy conversion...anyone?

So I have an 8ight B that is just hanging on my wall. Bought it new as a race roller but buggy is not really my thing. I've allways been a truck guy. So instead of selling it and buying a truggy I just bought, what I think, all I need for the conversion.

I bought:
Chassis, front and rear towers, arms, tie rods, front and rear CVDs, and mud guards. I still need front and rear center drive shafts and fuel tank. I have a JPX .28 that will be powering it.

Has any one converted a buggy to a truggy before? Shhould I anticipate any head aches?

Thanks,
Rafael
Old 03-06-2009, 10:32 AM
xxxkat

Default RE: 8ight buggy to truggy conversion...anyone?

It would cost way to much to do it corectly..their is way to much to change..just sell the buggy and get a truggy..you'll be money ahead.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Truggy also uses different gearing, different shafts, by the time you convert it you will spend a fortune, better to sell the buggy and just buy a Truggy..
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a cool buggy...
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
losifiend

Well since the parts are alleardy bought, and on my work bench, I'm getting this done. I compared the parts in the parts explosion manual of both and they're only the obvious parts differences that make a truck differ from a buggy that need to be swapped.

Like mentioned before, I'm only missing 3 parts. The fuel tank, the center diff spur gear, and the center drive shafts. I got everything else mentioned in my first post off of Ebay for $125 shipped. I would be lucky to see $150 from the buggy as a roller and a new truggy race roller would set me back $400, at the least. I dont see how it would be cheaper to sell the buggy and get a new truggy.

I made the post just to see if anyone else on this forum had done it. Not to recieve imput from people with speculations or get cretiqued for thinking out of the box. Specially in this tight economy.

HerrSavage, thanks. I love the look of the buggy too but I cant get used to the short and narrow wheel base. I'm used to running trucks around the track.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 AM
pyromania
My Feedback: (1)

Actually you still need to buy the F/R diff pinion since buggy and truggy use diffrent # of teeth. You want part number LOSA3507 and I'm pretty sure there are more parts you will need.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:11 PM
xxxkat

The Truggy uses different front shocks also..where did you get $400 for a race roller..I got mine for $275..new from my LHS..
Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 PM
losifiend

The truggy and buggy use the same shocks. Its the towers that are different.[link]http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-25248/LOSA5401-15MM-SHOCK-BODY/Detail[/link]
My LHS sucks and on line $399 is the cheapest...if they're even in stock since they have been discontinued since the 2.0 cam out. You got it that cheap because it was probably the last one in circulation. I got my LST2 for $399 right after the XXLST cam out since the LST2 is now discontinued as well.
[link]http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-seasonal-discount-team-losi-8ightt-truggy-race-roller-losa0802-p-24888.html?cPath=1102_1103[/link]

Pyromania, thanks. Thast the kind of stuff I was looking to for. I think I'm just going to get complete front and rear diffs from ebay chop shops. They sell for like $25 each along with housing and drive shafts.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 AM
pyromania
My Feedback: (1)

I see you're in Chino Hills. Have you ever been to airland hobbies? They are only like 20min away from you and have one of the best tracks in so-cal.