Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
slayerphonics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear

What do you guys find with tire wear? Racing on hard packed clay. Do you find that softer or harder compound tires wear faster?
I've been told that softer tires wear less because the tread lays over. What do you guys experience?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
K_B

Default RE: Tire wear

If the tread is laying over, then I'd say you're using the wrong tread pattern. For example, I would imagine the tread on an M3 BowTie on a bluegroove track would lay over like you describe and I would also venture to say that traction would be inconsistent.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
madmax22

softer deffinitly wear faster on my Touring car. on these, i think softer wear fast, medium-hard wear to fast for me... but i dont have $80 to spend on tires every month.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
slayerphonics

Thats what I was thinking, but others seem to say. Even say a crimefighter tire with a soft compound, that letting the tread lay over gives more tire on the ground and doesn't wear the top of the tread down as fast. Where as using a harder compound the tread stays vertical and you wear the top of the tread down faster.

I just don't really have the dough to experiment with this. 80 bucks a set is ruff
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
trx2.5maxx

i am really digging your aka tires slayer they seem to hook up really well at our track.what compound are you running?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

I just don't really have the dough to experiment with this. 80 bucks a set is ruff
Amen...

My thought is that it probably doesn't wear fast like you say and keeps the edges clean, but it sure wouldn't be using the tire to it's full potential. I'm switching from BowTies/Crimefighters to CityBlocks/I-Beams because I hear that they wear so much better. Plus, Proline foams are crap. I may try the Revolvers too. But again, I don't have a money tree out back to pay for all these damn tires.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
INTEGRA

everything boils down to the kind of dirt...the amount of traction....and the temp.....there's alot of factor's when choosing a compound to run in the dirt.....Scott Huges has a good grasp on the concept of which tire/compound for which track.....ive read a couple of his article's and it all makes sence.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 AM
losi101

I've been looking into trying some AKA tires this year but I can't figure out what size tire it its. Are they 3.7(lpr). I need to know before I order them because I already have the wheels I'm going to run.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: losi101

I've been looking into trying some AKA tires this year but I can't figure out what size tire it its. Are they 3.7(lpr). I need to know before I order them because I already have the wheels I'm going to run.

yes they are 3.7 LPR sized tires....If you need zero off go with the aka wheels....if 1/2 off is whats needed....go losi lightweight or i guess you can use proline...im just not a huge fan of anything proline.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
losi101

I run jconcept rulux half ups.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:17 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: losi101

I run jconcept rulux half ups.

those will work just fine.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
losi101

Awsome. I used to run those blue groove wheels 1/2 offsets but they only come in the MTR size. I moved on to something LPR so i could have more tire choices.