Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Beginner Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Truggy

+1 on the ST-1. I know I own one and might be a bit biased, but I have a ton of upgrades on mine. BCE chassis, Bowties, 1/2 offset rims, wing, Jammin .28 engine, saxton steering mod, DX2 2.4Ghz, upgraded servos, MBX5T body, some pro parts, etc etc. This truck is bloody amazing and will perform equally with all these upgrades to the high end truggies.

Like I've said before, nothing will beat the ST-1 for durability. If you're bashing that's your #1 priority. My brother in law and I bashed for over 4 hours hitting a 12 foot road ramp at WOT. We jumped for hours on end and I broke absolutely 0, even landing on it's hood, front wheel, bumper, etc. Didn't even bend anything and it's still mint. The savage held up good too, but had a lot more issues than I did like bolts and crap coming loose. I'd honestly compare the savage and ST-1's durability to be the same as we've bashed together a lot.

If you're serious club racing only I'd be looking in this order:

RC8T > X2 > ST-RR > X1CRT > 8ight-T > Castor > ST-1 > Hyper ST > Lightning, etc.

For bashing:

ST-1 > X1CRT > Hyper ST > Castor > all the rest.

Just my opinion though. Remember for racing, 80% driver, 20% car/setup is what most ppl go by.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

I finished 3rd at my tracks points series with my ST-1 RTR with upgraded servos.

I beat some ST-rr's, Jammins, among others. It is not all the truck, at the beginner level it is the driver. I am very confident that I would have beaten as Caster. ST-RR drives better than a Caster.

vnmsgt, you are trying too hard to push the products that you sell by putting down other brands. The Losi you poo pooed right away, when I feel it is superior than the Caster.

And you used the term "ST-1" fanboys. This is very ironic. I feel like all the posts I read are you bowing down the the Caster, I have driven one, yes they are nice, but so are plenty of buggies/truggies on the market. Local parts support?
I have already had this argument with you and another guy about saying I bash everyones product and the end result was neither of you could produce posts that said that!! So you beat a bunch of other brands, so what. It really is more driver than anything else most of the time so you are probably pretty good at driving. So back to your topic.... Show where I "poo pooed" Losi right away. Everything I have said is either based facts or on specs of a product, what comes and does not come with a product or has been said numerous times about a product especially the Losi which I was only trying to give advice about setting the servos because ALL OVER THE NET AND AT THE TRACKS that problem happens when not set right. Was not a bash in any way. So you need to re-examine what you think is bashing because you are wrong. So here is a list of all my posts on this thread so you and everyone can read them and see where I bashed a product strictly on OPINION and that has not been heard of or found by anyone else.

All 3 are great truggies. If you plan on racing alot in the very near future I remove the ST-1 from your list of the 3. Any RTR all you should need is batteries and gas. Not sure how much you can spend but the Jammin X2 is about $510 and the Caster is about $350. Big difference in price where you could upgrade the servos pipe or even get nice spektrum radio for the difference. Both are great truggies. Just $$ and what appeals to you will make your decision. You will be happy with either.
Your nuts man! I was not trying to bash your ride. I am going off what what the truggy offers in specs and materials. The ST-1 is a OLD TANK. Yes it is durable but you might as well be racing a buggy with 1" offset truggy wheels because when that truck came out people were still doing that. I guarantee the Caster is a durable as the ST-1 and will KILL it on the track without having to do steering mods, buying a wing and wing mount, upgrading the thin cast shock towers for racing. Just about everything on the Caster is more updated and more raceable than a ST-1. Do not get me wrong, the ST-1 is tough but so many fanboys here with that and the hyper 7 saying how good they are, and for bashing and a little racing, yes they would be ok, but if you want to end up just racing most of the time, get something alot more updated. The Caster K8T RTR comes with all CNC 6061 T6 4mm alluminum shock towers, and every other piece of aluminum is CNC 6061 T6, it is wider with a longer wheelbase all better for racing. That is way better than what comes on the thunder tiger. It's just a better truggy all around. Who really cares if you can run your truck in to a steel post or a car at full speed and nothing breaks (which I rarely believe and what most ST-1 owners like to say). That does not mean anything except a person cannot drive or has a messed up radio and dead batteries. Fact is anything will break doing that and you shouldn't be doing that anyways and if it did break, its your own fault and not the truck being weak.
I was not really offended but it sounded like you just had the opinion to take it off just because I said to take the ST-1 off. You did not give a reason as to why like I did. Yes the guy is new to the hobby but like I said if he is not going to really race too much and just go out and have fun then the ST-1 would be good I think. But if he plans on racing all the time very soon then it would be better to get a more updated platform that he can keep and run instead of possibly replacing the truggy. The 8ight -T is great but make sure of one thing. If you are new at this and get this truggy make sure to have someone with some experience set your EPA's for your throttle especially so you do not go through servo's. Once you learn that then you should be good to go with the Losi and shoud like it alot right out of the box with nothing done to it.
Your right. But the Losi will blow $100 servo's easier than any other truggy out there (throttle servo) if you do not set it exactly right. I think more people have blown servo's on them then anything else, so if you know someone how runs them and knows how to set it up correctly then definetly let them do it for you. It will save you alot of money.
I do not think any RTR is all that just for the fact it is RTR. I do agree the ST-1 is probably one of the toughest out there but in all honestly how do you use hitting a stone garbage can as a reason to get it over anything else? It should never even hit that and then at WOT C'mon, he was lucky that was all he broke . I hate those excuses of people hitting cars, curbs, bricks etc, all with there ST-1's and driving away. Show me that on video a bunch of times and I will believe it. Most of the had to have been lucky and I have seen all other kinds of brands take hits like that at WOT and drive away and many that did not but like I said LUCKY! And NO the Caster RTR is not really "ready to race". Only truck that can sort of say that is the Losi. The Caster needs different wheels and tires to be track worthy out of the box, and of course servo's like any other "ready to RUN
LOL! Now a savage.... I can honestly say I have never seen one broken as in not driveable. I have seen those things all bent up, mangled, you name it and they still start right up go out and take even more beatings!!!! Amazing!
If you leave the car stock you will want to get a Wing and wing mount for the ST-1 at least (not sure of price) Glow plugs are about $5-6 each and rechargeable hump pack will be $15-20.

As far as the Caster goes you can go to online at Holeshot Hobbies, Modhobby, Stormer Hobbies, Stinger Hobbies, Extreme Hobbies Miami.

Jammin X2 and Hyper ST are 2 completely different truggies. Both are great but for RTR I would not get the Hyper because the RTR Hyper ST motor (Macstar) is VERY BAD!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM
TCH

What would most of you pick between a brand new RC8T or used 8ight-t. Backyard racing on oval track with banked turns?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

Being able to get parts local is over rated, they cost way more. online is the best way.