Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Beginner Truggy

Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 PM
TCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Truggy

I am brand new at this and have no clue what I am doing. So I suppose I will need a RTR. Mainly back yard racing on homemade tracks against some buddies that are as new in this stuff than I am. I want something that is durable as possible because I plan to take extra care of it and want to learn to drive it rather than work on it. I was thinking about the x2 RTR because all I need is gas. Read alot about the ST 1 being most durable but have to buy more stuff to be ready to ride. Also If I wanted to go with the st1 pro kit, would it be to difficult to finish the build with no experience. Also heard the caster truggy was good begginer truggy. Any help would be greatly appreceiated.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 PM
vnmsgt

Default RE: Beginner Truggy

All 3 are great truggies. If you plan on racing alot in the very near future I remove the ST-1 from your list of the 3. Any RTR all you should need is batteries and gas. Not sure how much you can spend but the Jammin X2 is about $510 and the Caster is about $350. Big difference in price where you could upgrade the servos pipe or even get nice spektrum radio for the difference. Both are great truggies. Just $$ and what appeals to you will make your decision. You will be happy with either.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
xjqkz

I'd throw Caster off of the list too, infact its worse than st-1 atleast st-1 is durable as heck.... anyways... I'd add 8t (1.0 or 2.0 if your budget allows) to the list x2 and 8t are both very competitive truggies you pretty much get what you pay for. If you are thinking about serious racing then I wouldn't suggest rtr at all 'cause you would end up replacing servos, engine and a lot of other stuff. For racing you need nice strong servos, good engine, 2.4GHz radio and lots more.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

the AE MGT mini 3.0 is not a truggy but would be a good choice from what you want and the price at tower hobbies is outstanding. i have the TT st-1 that is a good choice as well.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

forgot to add make sure you can get parts support as local as possible to you.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:42 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RC8T RTR. Look at the thread from the guys with the new backyard track on the first page. They both got new RC8T's and are loving them. (I have the kit.. - and yes, love it..)

If you don't mind having something a bit old, the Losi 8T RTR, if they're still around, is a great deal - good engine and radio right off the bat. Would need to do some research though about how not to fry the gas/brake servo....

I know this hobby is crazy expensive, but it really is the case, you're better off going higher end to start. Cuz later you'll just want something higher end anyway. Trust me..

Building these things is not rocket science btw, so don't be put off by kits.. I know though what it's like - RTR does have an undeniable appeal in some cases. I'm not as anti-RTR as most.. A kit will be very expensive though - servos, radio, engine, pipe, starter-box, etc...

I say RC8T or Jammin X2 in RTR...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: xjqkz

I'd throw Caster off of the list too, infact its worse than st-1 atleast st-1 is durable as heck.... anyways... I'd add 8t (1.0 or 2.0 if your budget allows) to the list x2 and 8t are both very competitive truggies you pretty much get what you pay for. If you are thinking about serious racing then I wouldn't suggest rtr at all 'cause you would end up replacing servos, engine and a lot of other stuff. For racing you need nice strong servos, good engine, 2.4GHz radio and lots more.
Your nuts man! I was not trying to bash your ride. I am going off what what the truggy offers in specs and materials. The ST-1 is a OLD TANK. Yes it is durable but you might as well be racing a buggy with 1" offset truggy wheels because when that truck came out people were still doing that. I guarantee the Caster is a durable as the ST-1 and will KILL it on the track without having to do steering mods, buying a wing and wing mount, upgrading the thin cast shock towers for racing. Just about everything on the Caster is more updated and more raceable than a ST-1. Do not get me wrong, the ST-1 is tough but so many fanboys here with that and the hyper 7 saying how good they are, and for bashing and a little racing, yes they would be ok, but if you want to end up just racing most of the time, get something alot more updated. The Caster K8T RTR comes with all CNC 6061 T6 4mm alluminum shock towers, and every other piece of aluminum is CNC 6061 T6, it is wider with a longer wheelbase all better for racing. That is way better than what comes on the thunder tiger. It's just a better truggy all around. Who really cares if you can run your truck in to a steel post or a car at full speed and nothing breaks (which I rarely believe and what most ST-1 owners like to say). That does not mean anything except a person cannot drive or has a messed up radio and dead batteries. Fact is anything will break doing that and you shouldn't be doing that anyways and if it did break, its your own fault and not the truck being weak.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:39 PM
xjqkz

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Your nuts man! I was not trying to bash your ride. I am going off what what the truggy offers in specs and materials. The ST-1 is a OLD TANK. Yes it is durable but you might as well be racing a buggy with 1" offset truggy wheels because when that truck came out people were still doing that. I guarantee the Caster is a durable as the ST-1 and will KILL it on the track without having to do steering mods, buying a wing and wing mount, upgrading the thin cast shock towers for racing. Just about everything on the Caster is more updated and more raceable than a ST-1. Do not get me wrong, the ST-1 is tough but so many fanboys here with that and the hyper 7 saying how good they are, and for bashing and a little racing, yes they would be ok, but if you want to end up just racing most of the time, get something alot more updated. The Caster K8T RTR comes with all CNC 6061 T6 4mm alluminum shock towers, and every other piece of aluminum is CNC 6061 T6, it is wider with a longer wheelbase all better for racing. That is way better than what comes on the thunder tiger. It's just a better truggy all around. Who really cares if you can run your truck in to a steel post or a car at full speed and nothing breaks (which I rarely believe and what most ST-1 owners like to say). That does not mean anything except a person cannot drive or has a messed up radio and dead batteries. Fact is anything will break doing that and you shouldn't be doing that anyways and if it did break, its your own fault and not the truck being weak.
I've never heard anything good about caster, didn't even know that thats what you own, but keeping in mind that this guy is new to the hobby he will be crashing a lot not everyone is a pro driver like you. Anyways if you noticed I in fact commended him to get an 8ight-t. So no reason for you to get all offended if thats what you drive and thats what makes you happy then enjoy it.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
stagga

if ur brand new to the hobby why not get sumtin cheap and run it till the wheels fall off...then upgrade to something of quality when you know what you're doing. better off trashing a cheap car than an expensive one. others here may not agree with me on this but thats the route i took and i learned a lot about tuning and repairs without spendin too much $$$. maybe even look at the 1/10th models. (although they are less durable)
Old 03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
vnmsgt

I've never heard anything good about caster, didn't even know that thats what you own, but keeping in mind that this guy is new to the hobby he will be crashing a lot not everyone is a pro driver like you. Anyways if you noticed I in fact commended him to get an 8ight-t. So no reason for you to get all offended if thats what you drive and thats what makes you happy then enjoy it.
I was not really offended but it sounded like you just had the opinion to take it off just because I said to take the ST-1 off. You did not give a reason as to why like I did. Yes the guy is new to the hobby but like I said if he is not going to really race too much and just go out and have fun then the ST-1 would be good I think. But if he plans on racing all the time very soon then it would be better to get a more updated platform that he can keep and run instead of possibly replacing the truggy. The 8ight -T is great but make sure of one thing. If you are new at this and get this truggy make sure to have someone with some experience set your EPA's for your throttle especially so you do not go through servo's. Once you learn that then you should be good to go with the Losi and shoud like it alot right out of the box with nothing done to it.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
DWkyosho

Find a Losi 8ightT while they're still available... Comes with nice equipment and a spectrum radio.
I went with the Hyper ST RTR and I'm really enjoying it! Durable and fast.
The Jammin X2 would be an awesome choice too... But make sure you get what you want (it costs less in the long run).
Good luck with your choice... plenty of great options. You can really race any of the above for club races.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 AM
xxxkat

I would take a Caster over an ST1 any day..for one the Caster is as tough as the ST1, It handles better, Caster USA is very very good on the suport. The price on the Caster is also good..that would be my choice..
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
xjqkz

set the epa or not, servos on any rtr are cheap, they cannot offer big $ servos and a cheap price on the rtr together so they cut cost on servos and mediocre engine. But for someone new to the hobby rtr's are good starters.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
vnmsgt

set the epa or not, servos on any rtr are cheap, they cannot offer big $ servos and a cheap price on the rtr together so they cut cost on servos and mediocre engine. But for someone new to the hobby rtr's are good starters.
Your right. But the Losi will blow $100 servo's easier than any other truggy out there (throttle servo) if you do not set it exactly right. I think more people have blown servo's on them then anything else, so if you know someone how runs them and knows how to set it up correctly then definetly let them do it for you. It will save you alot of money.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
HerrSavage

Are the Caster RTR truggies REALLY all that? They were going ridiculously cheap a while back in England, and I was gonna get one, but read some stuff that put me off. Don't remember what exactly though.. Maybe just that the Go 25 engine was the old one with the c.rap carb or something?? I mean, I believe the Caster, even RTR, is better than the ST-1 on the track, but bashing?? The ST-1, like the old HB Lightning Stadium, is a tough truck.. The fastest truggy I've seen was an LRP-powered ST-1, and I watched in horror as the guy misjudged and hit a stone garbage can at WOT.. It exploded in three parts, each part ending up about 25 feet apart from the other.. In the end though, not much was busted - I think just like a bent hingepin and the front of the chassis was slightly bent, but if he'd've had that pin, he probably could've had it back together and running within half an hour... I really love my RC8T and all(and my LST2's and Savage, etc..), but nothing would've come out better than that ST-1.. It was a truly violent crash.

That's all kind of beside the point though. For launching off ramps etc the ST-1 would be a good call.. For track running let's accept the Caster is better.. But is the RTR really "ready to race", or do you need to upgrade a lot of stuff right away??
Old 04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Are the Caster RTR truggies REALLY all that? They were going ridiculously cheap a while back in England, and I was gonna get one, but read some stuff that put me off. Don't remember what exactly though.. Maybe just that the Go 25 engine was the old one with the c.rap carb or something?? I mean, I believe the Caster, even RTR, is better than the ST-1 on the track, but bashing?? The ST-1, like the old HB Lightning Stadium, is a tough truck.. The fastest truggy I've seen was an LRP-powered ST-1, and I watched in horror as the guy misjudged and hit a stone garbage can at WOT.. It exploded in three parts, each part ending up about 25 feet apart from the other.. In the end though, not much was busted - I think just like a bent hingepin and the front of the chassis was slightly bent, but if he'd've had that pin, he probably could've had it back together and running within half an hour... I really love my RC8T and all(and my LST2's and Savage, etc..), but nothing would've come out better than that ST-1.. It was a truly violent crash.

That's all kind of beside the point though. For launching off ramps etc the ST-1 would be a good call.. For track running let's accept the Caster is better.. But is the RTR really "ready to race", or do you need to upgrade a lot of stuff right away??
I do not think any RTR is all that just for the fact it is RTR. I do agree the ST-1 is probably one of the toughest out there but in all honestly how do you use hitting a stone garbage can as a reason to get it over anything else? It should never even hit that and then at WOT C'mon, he was lucky that was all he broke. I hate those excuses of people hitting cars, curbs, bricks etc, all with there ST-1's and driving away. Show me that on video a bunch of times and I will believe it. Most of the had to have been lucky and I have seen all other kinds of brands take hits like that at WOT and drive away and many that did not but like I said LUCKY! And NO the Caster RTR is not really "ready to race". Only truck that can sort of say that is the Losi. The Caster needs different wheels and tires to be track worthy out of the box, and of course servo's like any other "ready to RUN"
Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
HerrSavage

If it's only a question of tires and servos, that's OK. I defo hear good things about the Caster when it comes to racing..

As for big crashes, well, I'm just saying, of all the RC-ing I've seen with my own eyes, the ST-1 impressed me as far as toughness.. But who knows - my Savage 25 was totally tough, but then I've broken my Savage XSS doing baby jumps from like two feet up..(sorry axx p o s ...)
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
vnmsgt

If it's only a question of tires and servos, that's OK. I defo hear good things about the Caster when it comes to racing..

As for big crashes, well, I'm just saying, of all the RC-ing I've seen with my own eyes, the ST-1 impressed me as far as toughness.. But who knows - my Savage 25 was totally tough, but then I've broken my Savage XSS doing baby jumps from like two feet up..(sorry axx p o s ...)
LOL! Now a savage.... I can honestly say I have never seen one broken as in not driveable. I have seen those things all bent up, mangled, you name it and they still start right up go out and take even more beatings!!!! Amazing!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
TCH

A Main Hobbies has a st-1 rtr for $299. What would it cost me total to be fully ready to go as far as batteries and glow plug and such. Also, having trouble find places that sell the caster? Any suggestions.
What are some more sites that are good to look for this kind of stuff. Also, is the Jammin x2 and the Hyper ST pretty much the same truggy? Thanks for everyones help.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
stagga

from what i hear the jammin X2 is more of a light weight racer truggy and the hyper st is a durable but heavy truggy (not as competitive as a racer) the quality of both is as good as top name brands
Old 04-02-2009, 11:33 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: TCH

A Main Hobbies has a st-1 rtr for $299. What would it cost me total to be fully ready to go as far as batteries and glow plug and such. Also, having trouble find places that sell the caster? Any suggestions.
What are some more sites that are good to look for this kind of stuff. Also, is the Jammin x2 and the Hyper ST pretty much the same truggy? Thanks for everyones help.
If you leave the car stock you will want to get a Wing and wing mount for the ST-1 at least (not sure of price) Glow plugs are about $5-6 each and rechargeable hump pack will be $15-20.

As far as the Caster goes you can go to online at Holeshot Hobbies, Modhobby, Stormer Hobbies, Stinger Hobbies, Extreme Hobbies Miami.

Jammin X2 and Hyper ST are 2 completely different truggies. Both are great but for RTR I would not get the Hyper because the RTR Hyper ST motor (Macstar) is VERY BAD!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
The Hedgehog

I do not think any RTR is all that just for the fact it is RTR. I do agree the ST-1 is probably one of the toughest out there but in all honestly how do you use hitting a stone garbage can as a reason to get it over anything else? It should never even hit that and then at WOT C'mon, he was lucky that was all he broke. I hate those excuses of people hitting cars, curbs, bricks etc, all with there ST-1's and driving away. Show me that on video a bunch of times and I will believe it. Most of the had to have been lucky and I have seen all other kinds of brands take hits like that at WOT and drive away and many that did not but like I said LUCKY! And NO the Caster RTR is not really "ready to race". Only truck that can sort of say that is the Losi. The Caster needs different wheels and tires to be track worthy out of the box, and of course servo's like any other "ready to RUN"
I finished 3rd at my tracks points series with my ST-1 RTR with upgraded servos.

I beat some ST-rr's, Jammins, among others. It is not all the truck, at the beginner level it is the driver. I am very confident that I would have beaten as Caster. ST-RR drives better than a Caster.

vnmsgt, you are trying too hard to push the products that you sell by putting down other brands. The Losi you poo pooed right away, when I feel it is superior than the Caster.

And you used the term "ST-1" fanboys. This is very ironic. I feel like all the posts I read are you bowing down the the Caster, I have driven one, yes they are nice, but so are plenty of buggies/truggies on the market. Local parts support?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
The Hedgehog

vnmsgt, I am not trying to bash you by any means, I understand you feel strongly about your product which is fine. But in general there are more than 1 options, and none is wrong.

I do recommend the ST-1 to TCH, it will help you learn to race for a good1-3 seasons and by then you will be wanting to upgrade to a top of the line truggy if you get into it a lot. Spend a little less on the ST-1 right now, you will be happy.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 PM
madmaxx1

the st-1 pro kit was $329 for the longest time at amain and i just noticed it jumped up to $369! must be getting popular....

i'm diggin' my st-1 so far (only have 7/8 tank's on it lol) and can't wait to give it a good thrashing!

P.S it absolutely RIPPPPPPPPPS with the os .30! which isn't fully broke in yet either
Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
spikeitaudi

ORIGINAL: TCH

Jammin X2 and Hyper ST are totally different. The X2 is newer design. The Hyper ST is an older design and heavier. The Hyper ST RTR engine I agree is crap. Might as well use it as a paperwieght. If you get the ST go with the Pro, but then you would need an engine, pipe, Electronics, and servos.

As far as sites also try nitrohouse.com and towerhobbies.com. Out of X2 and Hyper I would go X2, but be ready to pony up the $$$ cause its more expensive.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.