Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

electric truggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
marlcidlosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric truggy

does anyone know or heard if any companies plan on making any new truggies electric?? I know that assicated has pretty much the only one and its srtipped down. I want a truggy but do not want gas. Looking form help with getting an eletric one.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 PM
K_B

Default RE: electric truggy

Caster Racing makes a couple... both a "pro" kit and an RTR

http://casterracingusa.com/home.php?cat=1

Or you can get something like the RC8T or the Losi 8T and get their factory conversion kits. Losi makes the 8ight-E that comes almost ready to run with the ESC and motor, but I don't think they have a truggy version yet.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:15 PM
luvdisstuff
My Feedback: (2)

Or you can get a vendetta st ehich is a solid truggy. Ive been told that if you put duratrax stell cvd's on it is practically indestuctable. There are a bunch of truggys out there. What scale are you looking for?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:30 PM
rebelracer246

ive seen a losi 8ight-e it was origanly a 8ight-t 2.0 race roller but they got the conversion and a castle 2200kv system and it was really fast and had good low end
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Hyper ST-E Guy

marlcidlosi,

Out of the box RC8Te is the only option. Its not a seperate electric design, rather just inlcudes all the parts to accomidate electric componets. You can achieve the same result with any other Truggy by converting yourself. The easy setup is the RC8Te, just buy the electronics etc. If you don't want an RC8T then buy the Truggy of your choice and convert. The RC8Te design/layout is no different than any single tray conversion that you can't do yourself. If you want, you can even take it a step further and run split tray and flip the motor to the front thus achieving optimum balance. Do a search and look at Longbill76 conversions. He requents the local tracks here in NorCal and is doing some progressive custom conversions. A-Main Hobbies has the best selection of out of the box Conversion Kits by various MFR's and of course there's RC Monster.

Here are a few pic's of an oldie but goddie Truggy conversion. I used parts from three different MFR's to accomidate the conversion while shedding weight. Not sure if your familiar with the Hyper ST but out of the box it is a brick compared to many of the newer Truggy Kits. With the replacement parts I used it now has a comparable weight to many of the new kits. The Hyper has always handled great and is an easy Truggy to acclimate too and allows for very aggressive driving. It's even better now that I put it on a diet and has insane electric power..... Too Much Power!!!

Best of luck and happy racing,

Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM
hakmazter

and to think he was asking about not a conversion.....

Caster Racing is currently your only option for an out of the box truggy and it was actually designed by engineers to be actually balanced, not some cobbled together conversion. It does use the majority of the nitro truggy parts, but it is of its own design. There is a huge thread on here about it.

They have rtr ones with 2.4 radios now....
Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Hyper ST-E Guy

\\-
ORIGINAL: hakmazter

and to think he was asking about not a conversion.....

Caster Racing is currently your only option for an out of the box truggy and it was actually designed by engineers to be actually balanced, not some cobbled together conversion. It does use the majority of the nitro truggy parts, but it is of its own design. There is a huge thread on here about it.

They have rtr ones with 2.4 radios now....
That's right, forgot about the 1/8 EP Truggy Fusion F8T PRO and RTR version. Caster has done a great job with this out of the box electric truggy. I would look into this truggy, visit www.casterracing.com/en/product_list.asp here you will find all Caster Racing electric truggy options. Caster cars build quality is good, have a sponsored driver at local track and races the buggy and it does really well. Not sure how easy it is to get parts, but I know price is fair. If your looking for an RTR , I would do my research and see if the build quality of the ESC and motor are reliable. Typically RTR RC's end up costing you more money in the near future. My opinion, I would buy a PRO Kit and you can decide what type of electric components you want and should get plenty of reliable runtime at optimum performance.

Hakmazter, man you are brutal!! "Cobbled Together" ouch!! Converting may not be for everyone but there are plenty of parts to effectivly convert your own RC of choice. Not sure what kind of coversions are showing up at your local track(s) but here in NorCal there are some really clean and well thoughtout conversions. Yes, I'm sure we are all awaiting our MFR of choice fully electric kits, but unitl then what are we going to do, sit around and wait for our MFR of choice to release a kit?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 AM
bhcvc

In looking at the F8T, I don't see anything that unique in it's design. The components sit on aluminum plates along the centerline of the chassis (somewhat high). In doing a conversion, some creative sheetmetal would do the same task in centering the weight distribution of your electronics left-to-right. A well thought out conversion can be just as balanced. The F8T still uses the same conversion principles such as replacing the rear center diff bulkhead with a motor mount.

There's a sale at Caster Racing USA right now on the kits and RTR. $450 for the kit. $550 for the RTR. The ESC is an 80A Hobbywing, which I will attest is a great ESC. However, most people will think it's too "small" (not physically, but current-wise) for a truggy (though IMO it works fine). The motor from the pictures look to be a Feigao. A fairly low-cost BL combo.

I'm one of those who didn't wait for mfrs to offer electric versions of their nitro trucks. I converted my TTR ST-1 and have been having fun running that for a little while now. It's not that hard and doing a conversion opens up your options greatly.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Hyper ST-E Guy

From what I hear at the track and threads the greatest problem(s) with Caster is material quality and weight. These two issues are what seperates Kyosho, Mugen, X-ray from the rest of the bunch. If you are fully sponsored who cares how duabale your car is because parts are there at your demand. As for the everyday club guy/basher things can get very expensive real fast. In my opinion if Iwere looking to buy a quality kit I would steer away from Caster and similar MFR's. Not bashing those who use Caster etc., I'm not saying they are a poor RC, just not to my overall quality. Where we stand today, it is better to convert your own RC because one, not many out of box kits and there are many options for conversion parts from many of the top leading MFR's. Hey there are a few parts on the Caster that I woud consider on my next conversion. As for the Thunder Tiger, have any pic's? It has similar dimensions as the Hyper ST. Man I can imagine how many RC Universe members are thinking......, these guys still use those old truggies?? They were like the second generation truggies. For all you Caster Racers, keep it coming, I'm with you guys, and for those that like to challenge themselves and make a one-off custom conversion, handle your business and turn some heads.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
bhcvc

Here's pics of my ST-1:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8712789

Yeah, I read a lot about "old" truggies and designs, but no one's yet listed what changes the "new" truggies and designs are, so I don't know how I'm at a disadvantage. To me, it's more driving skill than anything and I still just run on the track for fun, so I doubt I'd even notice a difference between "old" and "new" truggies. I did notice the ST-1 is quite a bit narrower than newer truggies.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 AM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

i have a Losi 8ight-t 1.0 converted to Bushless. Its got the Tekno conversion kit which come with a chassis and everything u need to convert on sale at @69.99 on amain. The Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2200kv combo @249.99 ebay and a few 4s1p lipo packs, its geared 48t spur / 15t pinion and kills nitros at the track. The pics below are me using the Losi Electric conversion @79.99 on amain, i highly recommend the Tekno kits, they are alot better.

If you want to know more about brushless conversion i suggest going to www.rcmonster.com its the only place that is really on top of BL conversions.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 AM
mentat

Also Hobbycity has great deal on lipos packs about 50-60 for a decent 4s1p 25c 5000mAh pack

Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 AM
jzemaxx

The RC8T-E is the way to go. Or convert a Lost with the Losi conversion kit that is available.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
mentat

The losi conversion kit is JUNK. I have both the Losi kit and the tekno kit, the Tekno is by far superior. you can get the 8ight-t 1.0 Tekno kit on amain for 69.99 on sale right now and it comes with a chassis, the losi kit is 79.99 and it does NOT come with a chassis.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...m-Novak-Motors

DO NOT GET THE LOSI KIT.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
hakmazter

That tells me that amain is blowing them out for some reason.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjVHbbCeW70[/youtube]
Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 PM
mentat

yeah they are, its because its on the older kits that they are selling for 69.99 teh 8ight-t 2.0 is 129ish the kit it top notch plus u get a chassis, you just cant beat that. Besides the Tekno kits are high quality. im not knocking Losi, i love losi kits. Just the conversion has to be changed around. example, the plastic spur gear that comes with the kit has to be sanded because its to wide. that just one example. also you cant use a large metal spur gear because it rubs the chassis, u have to cut a hole on the chassis with the losi kit to allow other spur gears. Example being the stock 8ight-t 48t metal gear that comes with the race roller kit. ity wont fit unless u dremel a hole in the chassis to allow clearance. the tekno kit u do not have to do that
Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
egnix

Howdy there.   First time posting here, but not new to R/C...

I haven't raced since the JrX2 days, but I'm getting more and more interested in a 1/8th truggy now that they're expanding into the world of electric motors (I've never been interested in nitro).

Does anyone have a handle one whether there will be more electric truggy kits in the near future or will we just have conversions for a while?  For me it makes more sense to buy a purpose-built electric truggy than to buy a nitro kit and convert it.  It seems like the RC8TE and the Caster are the only real "options" at the moment, but even then they both sound like they're not that much different than their nitro-counterparts.  Or maybe that doesn't matter?  Would a ground-up electric kit be much different than the RC8TE or the Caster? 

Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
mentat

i would say that this coming year u will start to see some base brushless truggies and other kits around. as far as building one, i would recommend a which ever kit u fancy and get a tekno conversion kit, they are really nice and u get a chassis. Losi is also making a kit, but I would rather spend the money on a tekno. There are tons of options. Also www.rcmonster.com is a great place to get stuff and their forums are top notch for BL info. welcome back!

www.tekno.com
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 PM
INTEGRA

the Losi kit is NOT junk by any means.....the fact you HAVE to replace the chassis which is one of the most important parts to the 8ight lineup is a Joke...not to mention its a Big freekin pancake with the chassis on....Dual pack set-up is not needed.

the gearing is more then optimal with 43 44 and 45T spur's...they are NOT too wide and work just fine on the losi kit....dremeling the chassis is a last resort...shim the center diff up 1-2mm and it will clear just fine...but that's if you HAVE to run the 47-48T spur.

also mentat Zippy's are NOT 50-60$ Nor are the Rhino's