Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

new to truggies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:11 AM
chevy_jlewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to truggies.

im going to the local hobby shop tomorrow and seeing what they recomend for a RTR truggy. i belive they sell the losi and the AE rtr's but they have to order them because they are more into planes and traxxas vehicles and parts. i have basically all but bought the 8ight-t 2.0 rtr. i was thinking about buying it from amain. i was wondering if there is anywhere else with a cheaper price. the lhs will take longer to get it then online will. the main thing i am asking is where is a good place to buy parts for. i will be racing starting next year at a local 1/8th scale track. the racing ends 2 weeks from now so i will have the fall and winter to work on my truggy and get it broken in and dialed in for the track. its a fun track the way it is set up. i drive my jatos there often. i want a rtr becase i am a beginner and am not as comfortable yet picking an engine and servos and radio out yet. maybe for my next purchase i will. but i am really exicited about getting into racing and would just like your input.

am i going about this all wrong or is getting a 8ight-t now the right choice? thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: new to truggies.

Check out www.losipartshouse.com .. Put the stuff in your cart to see the real price..

The 8T2.0 RTR is an awesome package.. The 28 is a bit thirsty for racing, but it makes up for it in ease of use and good power. For somebody new to racing, it's a good idea to have semething easy to break in that keeps a tune and doesn't cause headaches.., because there's so much other stuff to worry about when racing..

If you've got the whole winter to prepare, one option could be to sell the stock engine, and get a Mach 427 with closed backplate. People will chime in and tell you have to have an RB, Novarossi, etc.., but for racing truggies the Mach is really very good. Plus it's dirt cheap.. There simply are no engines that are easier to break in and tune. A Mach 427 is basically a scaled down version of the stock RTR engine in the Losi.. You just get slightly less torque but much better run time..(Top end is similar..) I get 10 minutes in truggy during racing conditions. Just a thought - but I can't recommend Machs highly enough.. You can run the stock engine, but they're quite thirsty.. I'm breaking in my fourth Mach right now, and also run an LRP Spec 3(identical to Losi 454), which I totally love in my basher LST2, but it is a fuel pig.. And runtime will become more important in racing once you get into it.. For starters the thirsty 28 will be good - it's very user-friendly and VERY powerful in such a light truggy..(fun as h.ell probably.. ) But eventually you'll want a race 21(though I find the Mach can hang with most of them, AND gets similar run time...For half the price or less than"...)

Anyway, just a thought. I say go for the 8T 2.0 RTR.. Awesome truck..

Parts you can get at amain, losipartshouse, or ebay.com (there are some good chop shops..)
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
chevy_jlewis

disregard. im going electric after spending a few hours at the track.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM
K_B

LOL! Having nitro troubles I take it?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 PM
chevy_jlewis

no. i think i am going to stay nitro because it is more what i know. i have been looking at electric and i think i want to stay nitro. maybe one day i will go electric, but the rc8t rtr is more for me then building a kit (nitro or gas) and my local hobby shop carries parts for it and doesnt for the losi. and another thing with electric that bothers me is that at my local track they race only 8th scale nitro. the brushless losi eight i saw today was awsome because of the instant power but im not into figureing out all of the electrical stuff with the motors and batteries and chargers and all that garbage. nitro is here to stay in my opinion and to each his own. and i am sticking with nitro powered truggys for the time being. rc8t rtr cant be too much different than the losi 8 rtr. except for the price tag and the radio. i need somthing i can get parts for if it breaks not somthing that is the most popular
Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 PM
madbrad70

ORIGINAL: chevy_jlewis

disregard. im going electric after spending a few hours at the track.
So you meant your going with nitro ?

I like nitro more because it more like racing with pit stratigies and having to know how to tune your motor on top of being a good driver . Plus you cant fo a 30 minute main on batteries.