Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

losi 8ight vs. lstxxl

Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
karlracing
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losi 8ight vs. lstxxl

head to head can the lst xxl with truggy tires keep up with the 8ight in a race? im looking for a basher / future racer and the xxl is like 150 cheaper then the 8ight. also, where is the cheapest place to buy them?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: losi 8ight vs. lstxxl

Apples and oranges.. Generally, buggies are faster than truggies are faster than MT's.. Different things.

IMHO, you need to KNOW for sure if and when you want to race.

The XXL is an awesome truck for having fun, bashing around, etc..

But if you want to get into organized racing, get a buggy or truggy. The MT racing scene, unfortunately, has mostly died.

Also keep in mind, you could probably buy three XXL's for the price of all the gear and other expenses you need for a season of serious racing in buggy or truggy.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
K_B

One big plus for a truggy is the ease of maintenance. MTs are generally a pain to work on with alot more stuff to go wrong with all the extra moving parts (2-speed tranny full of gears). Truggy drivetrain is super simple and easy to work on and very reliable.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
karlracing

how will truggys hold up to 8ft jumps? im actually looking at the ofna jammin x2 kit on ebay for 350, i could build it pretty good fot the 800 they want for the losi and use my xs3 radio
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
jmaxey51

a jammin will hold up to almost anything. i have hit trees wide open with my X1 and X2 truggy and still never broke a thing. im selling all of my Jammin stuff both my X2 truggy and buggy. but they are extremely durable i have ran them for over a year and i only broke one thing on each, one arm a piece and thats all. i go to races with ZERO extra parts and never have to worry about breaking. if you get an X2 buggy the shock towers are junk and youll need to replace with the aluminum ones. i used to use them to bash all week then race on the weekend and they always held up. worth every penny IMO. but like i said im switching because im now out driving them but they are great starter buggy or truggy you can run them and keep up with the best. i run pro buggy and truggy with them and do really good with them but ive gotten to the point that i need something a little better. so im going with odonnell.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
karlracing

im wondering about jumps, the truggy is gonna bottom out and hit pretty hard compared to the mt
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
jmaxey51

the MT will be worse with jumping i know that for a fact. they might be taller but they do NOT handle jumps half as good as a truggy or buggy. MT break more than anything. i see them hit a jump barely coming up short and they broke. a truggy will hit bigger jumps land terrible and just flip and keep on going. MT are dead because you have to work and spend more money on them more than actually driving them. if you get an MT you will need to buy two plus parts to keep it running IMO.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM
dominicevans

ORIGINAL: karlracing

im wondering about jumps, the truggy is gonna bottom out and hit pretty hard compared to the mt
actually thats a good thing!! they are designed to bottom out (chassis slap to be exact) its to spread out the impact through out the chassis which has a large surface and can take more abuse instead of putting all that stress on the suspension parts like an MT would..breaking shocks etc
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

the MT will be worse with jumping i know that for a fact. they might be taller but they do NOT handle jumps half as good as a truggy or buggy. MT break more than anything. i see them hit a jump barely coming up short and they broke. a truggy will hit bigger jumps land terrible and just flip and keep on going. MT are dead because you have to work and spend more money on them more than actually driving them. if you get an MT you will need to buy two plus parts to keep it running IMO.

Needless to say, that is so exaggerated it's not even true. Maybe you've seen guys with no clue how to drive smashing their MT's into walls or something.

But a good MT can jump, and jump well.

Furthermore, truggies are NOT all that robust and maintenance-free.. They are not immune to developing slop in the steering, the hubs can and do break, or are just annoying when the screws holding them in come out(however perfectly you assembled everything, and yes, with thread lock..), which can end your day as much as a broken a-arm - something else they are not immune to. People say truggies are tough because they don't break on a well-groomed track, and survive some cartwheels, etc.. Which is fine - truggies are built for the track. But a skatepark or other rough-ish bashing spot is a different story. For one, a bad upside landing on an awkwardly sticking up rock or coping on the unprotected cooling head - especially if it's a high end race engine, would be painful. Wouldn't happen to my LST2 with roll-bar preventing precisely that. I have never broken a shock on my LST2 in three years - or much else really besides a cheap steering servo here or there.. I won't be bashing my RC8T the way I do/would my LST2 either, when a new set of RC8T shocks costs €100+, and I can get LST2 shocks for less than half that..

Would I bash a truggy? Maybe.. Maybe like an RTR Jammin X2 or RC8T.. But most truggies are kits with high end stuff costing twice what an XXL costs.. Who's gonna launch their high end race truggy with carbon fiber, RB engine, €200 in servos, etc.. off ramps at WOT trying double-back flips, landing be damned??...

Truggies and MT's both have their place. But what's being said here about MT's is just bunk.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 AM
snoking16

im going to have to disagree with that...Truggies are lighter then MT's they have less force acting on the parts when falling from the same distance. I have bashed the crap out of mt ST-1 in skate parks and everywhere else. I have never raced my truggy. All i do is bash it. They are easier to work on. All trucks have there problems. You can break any part if you bash it too hard, regardless if it is a truggy or a MT. The way a truggy is designed to have the entire truck absorb shocks is a great way to prevent broken shocks, towers, hubs, a arms and all other suspension parts. And you would have to be crazy to go bash a $1000 race truggy. I have had many MT's in the past and i probably will never buy another one. Out of the box an RTR truggy is going to bash better then an RTR MT. Even with a lower Center of gravity and less ground clearence. the flat chassis of a truggy skips over the rough stuff. it also protects the rest of your gear from impacts. There is no need to upgrade skid plates and servo protectors or do the gas tank mods like you have to with a savage. They handle better and fly better in the air. They are more balanced and IMO just a better design. i will agree with you on the fact that there is no roll cage with truggies. Thats why i have my basher ST-1 and just got a Kyosho Inferno that im currently getting set up to start racing. You can Buy an RTR Thunder tiger ST-1 for $350ish and it will outperform any stock MT on the track, in the park and any other application, other then rock climbing.

Everything i have stated above is coming from personal experience.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 AM
HerrSavage

Everything you said about MT's may apply to Savages, but not necessarily all other MT's...

Being able to run enormous 40-series tires with an MT - something you can't do with a truggy..., plus the extra ground clearance DOES allow you to get over rougher terrain, higher grass, etc... with an MT than with a truggy...

Plus wheelying is a lot easier..

Agreed though that, for a bashing truggy, truck, whatever.., the ST-1 is a good call.. Cheap, tough, reliable.. But not significantly moreso than my LST2, if at all.. But yes, being honest, I do have some upgrades on my LST2(roll-bar, front hard ano servo plate to protect servos, and RPM arms..), so all in all it wasn't cheap - coulda' bought two ST-1's... (though, don't forget, you get a bettter radio and, arguably.., engine with the Losis...) But it's been going strong for nearly three years. Best purchase I've made in RC.. Just an excellent all-around product.. Tough, reliable, low maintenance.. Replacing servos is a PIA, so yes, the "harder to work on" thing does apply a bit.. But having those d.amn C-hub screws wobble out, or developing crazy slop in the steering - on ALL my truggies(four brands so far..) is no less a PIA to be honest..

Everybody has their own take. Mine is, MT for the park, gravel-pit, skate-park, etc.. Truggy for the track. Unless you're talking a very cheap RTR truggy with low repair/part costs - like an ST-1... There's a lot of upgrade stuff out there for an ST-1 too - not just talking engines, pipes, servos, etc.. Btw, I think it could be argued that a truggy is more in need of high end servo upgrades than an MT.. I just stock up on cheap Z590's for my LST2 because they're cheap and direct replacements.. With an ST-1(or an any RTR truggy..) servos would be the first things I'd be looking to upgrade. And that can easily be 150 bucks...

Yes, lots of people over the years have dumped way too much money into unnecessary MT hopups, so you end up with $1000 Savages that still tip over and blow diffs.. But that doesn't automatically mean all MT's are junk - or that all MT's automatically need expensive upgrades. Roll-bar for the LST2/XXL, new shock oil and springs, and maybe a wing kit, and off you go. RPM's aren't necessary.. Just maybe a set of backups.. Ebay for 20 bucks..

One other thing to keep in mind, LST XXL/LST2 parts are dirt-cheap on e-bay.. So a new bumper(part most likely to break on an LST2.. - the little support between bumper and bulkhead) or something costs like 5 bucks..
Old 02-23-2010, 03:10 AM
snoking16

everyone has their prefs... Yes, parts a dirst cheap for most MT's. but its the fact that there are more parts to break and end your session that i dont like. I have never had the C-hub problem so i cant relate there. The new LST XXL does look like a bad ass RTR. If i were to come into some money and wanted to buy a MT again it would definatly be that bad boy.

I think we are on the same page as far as pros and cons for both truggies and MTs. Between the two of us we have pretty much discussed it all.

Hope we helped you guys that are on the fence about which to buy. When it comes down to it, its all preference. If you are going to be bashing in mostly tall grass where you would need the ground clearence then i would go with a MT. as far as rough terrain goes, i still think a truggy will do just as good as a MT at high speeds due to the chassis acting like one huge skid plate. At lower speeds the MT would win out because it does have the ground clearence.

It was nice debating things with you HerrSavage.

its good to know some of us can have civil convos on here without getting all high and mighty.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 AM
HerrSavage

Same to ya...

One last thing. If you're ever out running with mixed MT's and truggies, think of it this way - the MT's look burlier and less agile.. But IMO that makes them a bit more fun at high speed. Harder to control, and more fun trying.. Though I should also say, my racer LST2 is pretty truggy-like in the handling dept..

A truggy is zippy and has laser-like agility in comparison.. It won't wheely(unless you lock the center diff, or have a crazy modified engine..), and is all around just more predictable and easier to control. There's a little bit more concentration required keeping an MT on all fours, and I anyway find that fun. Even - or especially Savages - when they stay together anyway..(sold my last one pretty much in disgust at the horrible quality...)

I actually prefer buggies to truggies for running on tracks.. [X(]

Not only do they just drive better.. But there's too much "too cool for school" attitude among truggy racers and the whole truggy scene I find.. Plus the truggy scene isn't even settled yet IMO. Constantly new designs and styles coming out - they don't even seem to have settled on an official tire size yet..., so you're made to feel that after six months your $1500 worth of gear is already obsolete..(It's not of course.. But that's kind of that prevailing attitude when it comes to truggies..) With buggies it's more neutral I find.. - just run your stuff as well as you can - with everyone from beginners to experts, and with MT's, yeah, it's more a just-for-fun kind of vibe that I like..

'Course, if you're just bashing, none of that matters..
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
dominicevans

please stop stating "wheelie" as a positive. It only slows you down and gives you less control.
Beside how good is the xxl at wheeling?

The only upside to an MT is the larger wheels and the ground clearance

you have been hating on truggies waaay too much since you sold yours.. I admit i don't have much experience with Truggies but you had a bad experience with an RC8t(I think) and then you start hating on all truggies. Whats up with that?

also you seem to always make generalisations when it comes to truggys but no MT's? All truggies are quite different in build quality etc although they may appear similar
Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 AM
HerrSavage

I still have my RC8T, and will probably continue to race it. It's a great truggy - love it.. My problem with truggies is just the whole scene itself, how overseriously people take it*, and how stupidly expensive it all is to race them, and that the manufacturers won't settle on a body style, or tire size, or whatever else.. So you're made to feel your huge stupidly expensive investment is obsolete after six months.. I still have my RC8T cuz nobody wants to buy it. It's sssoooo outdated and everything since AE came out with TWO new versions of it..

* Who gives a shxx about having less "control" wheelying? When out in the park messing around wheelies can be .................................. fun. Remember what that is?

My point exactly.. RC, whereas it used to be all about fun and slapmafro crazy bashing videos for ex., has been taken over by people who actually enjoy (apparently..) changing their shock and diff oils between heats, and busting out microscopes and tweezers and shixx to make the most minor of adjustments, etc etc..

I don't "hate on" truggies btw. I just think they have their place - and that's on a track, for the most part. And my comments are intended to restore balance to what IMO is the FALSE idea often stated (and regurgitated... ) here that MT's are totally useless.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

mt dont have boxstarters and most people who drive mt's would kill for one.