Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

What is the best RTR 1/8 scale Truggy for racing?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

What is the best RTR 1/8 scale Truggy for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Bacchus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best RTR 1/8 scale Truggy for racing?

We have 2 tracks that are close to home and the biggest class at one of them is 1/8 scale truggies. I'm looking for the best RTR kit for racing. Liking the Losi 8ight t 2.0 right now.

I'd like to have the race roller and buy radios, motors, etc separate but that is getting way too expensive. I think RTR is gonna be my best bet to keep it affordable.

1. Will the RTR's be able to compete with the folks that have the race roller's and kit type setups(basically the upper end racing gear)?

2. Suggest me the best RTR truggy and why?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Bacchus

Default RE: What is the best RTR 1/8 scale Truggy for racing?

anybody?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
jmaxey51

just get whatever you like most and dont look back. its 90% driver and 10% car, so anyone can be competitive with a RTR.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Bacchus

That is kind of my thoughts as well after really watching the races this weekend. I would only be club racing as well unless i somehow have a built in talent i didn't know about.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 PM
jmaxey51

just be prepared to buy 100+ bucks in servos for it. ALL RTRs you have to replace the steering servo but with losi, for some odd reason, the throttle servo goes too. but do not buy cheap because in the long haul it will cost you more. i know a guy that runs nothing but losi and he said get 2 hitec 7955 and youll be set, he has been running those servos for over 2 years, i think thats what he said maybe even more. they cost 100+ per servo but if you buy cheap ones for 40 or so, youll replace those 3-4 times a year costing WAY over the price of one that will last for years if endpoint set correctly.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Bacchus

Ouch another 2 hundred bucks for servos? Will the stock servos be race worthy at all at least for some time? The race roller is $699 with $150 rebate right now making it $549. The RTR is $799 with no rebate.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could take the chance and race with them a time or two, but I would deffinately be planning to replace them.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
K_B

For what it's worth, www.thebarnfloor.com has the RTR for $659. But jmaxey is right, the stock servos are junk. Some guys barely make it past break-in before the throttle servo goes. They are not at all race-worthy.

Personally, when I got into this hobby, I bought some things second hand. I bought my radio and servos used; you rarely go wrong doing that. You can also find good deals on brand new second items. I bought my car new, but bought it from some guy on the internet and did the same with the engine. Cost me half of what it would have from a shop.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR is a hell of a package for getting started.. You can worry about upgrade servos, etc.. down the road if/when the stock stuff c.raps out..
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Bacchus

Yeah i priced out building the race roller and it'd be 1500 bucks to get it up and running but it would be solid...the RTR could be done for a grand with 2 new good servos.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
romax

I have been told the big reason the losi eats servos is because they are not set up correctly which makes total sense to me . I would get someone at the local track that runs losi to help you set them up & they should last a little while . Is the steering servo metal gear ? if so it should last a little while . If not it won't last long at all .
Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR is a hell of a package for getting started.. You can worry about upgrade servos, etc.. down the road if/when the stock stuff c.raps out..
+1
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Bacchus

So the servos on the RTR are setup wrong from the factory? I would think the steering servo is metal gears. I read even people with upper end servo's were burning them up on the 8ight t because of how much the chassis flexes?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: Bacchus

So the servos on the RTR are setup wrong from the factory? I would think the steering servo is metal gears. I read even people with upper end servo's were burning them up on the 8ight t because of how much the chassis flexes?
i have heard thats the reason for the throttle but thats just what i have heard i dont know if its true or not though. and yes when i bought an RTR when i started the endpoints were set completely wrong. it wasnt centered or anything, and even my steering was set to reverse so it turned opposite way. but with the Losi RTR, it comes with an awesome radio that everything can be set up perfectly and also its a DSM which is a must for racing.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 PM
ez2bgman
My Feedback: (4)

I just bought the Eight T 2.0 RTR a few weeks ago and love it. I chose the Eight T because of the Spektrum DX3S radio and the included starter box. The truck itself is also very nice and easy to work on.

But right out of the box the throttle servo was gone. It kept twitching when full throttle was applied. I moved the factory steering servo (a Jr Z650M) to the throttle and bought a Spektrum servo, rated at 278 oz/in at 6v, for the steering. Other than a new body (Pro-Line Shift), I haven't done anything else. I plan on going with a higher weight shock oil, as the factory shock is too light for my tastes.

Bacchus,

Are you from Louisiana?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Bacchus

I am. We are going to be racing at the track in Springfield.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
ez2bgman
My Feedback: (4)

Oh ok.... I am in the New Orleans area. There is one track not too far from me. We may build an offroad track at our field to accommodate all the club members that have offroad rc vehicles too.