RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   RACING TRUGGY? LOSI, XRAY, MUGEN? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/6747372-racing-truggy-losi-xray-mugen.html)

jdmille500 12-12-2007 11:44 AM

RACING TRUGGY? LOSI, XRAY, MUGEN?

If money is no issue and your wanting to get into the racing arena, which truggy do you go with. what is the the top rated truggy right out of the box? is the weight of the truggy a huge deal? because that is what is pushing me towards the losi 8ight? does the light weight of the losi make the truck less durable? i dont want to have to replace parts every time out.

the hyper st pro looks awesome but ive read mixed reviews...

also lets take the losi 8ight-t for example. what is the advantage to buying a kit or a RTR?

metroman 12-12-2007 11:57 AM

RE: RACING TRUGGY? LOSI, XRAY, MUGEN?

Go with the Kyosho St-RR, they probably got the best shocks on the market.

HerrSavage 12-12-2007 11:59 AM

If I were defo gonna plunge into the racing scene, and if you don't already have a good radio, no doubt I'd get the 8T RTR...

jdmille500 12-12-2007 01:16 PM

i dont have the radio and electronics yet.

luisev 12-12-2007 02:18 PM

Weight is definitely a factor, but don't let that alone sway you in your decision. The CRT is an awesome truggy, but it's an older design and heavier than most. The CRT is still a top performing truggy, yet newer designs are making great strides and the new CRT will have some of these newer features. Once the newer CRT is available the older CRT should come down in price making it a good choice for the casual racer.

The Losi 8ight T is an awesome truggy and shares it's features with the 8ight Buggy. I recently switched from the 8ight B to the 8ight T and I can't wait to take it to the track. Either 8ight is very well made and extremely durable... Just look at the lower arms on the 8ight T and you can see just how beefy the parts are. Over the course of a year my 8ight B never had any issues with breakage other than the RTR Plastic Shock Caps. I switched them to the Kit parts and all was well.

Main difference between RTR and pro kits is that electronics and an engine will come with the RTR. Currently the 8ight T RTR is the only complete kit that comes with a 2.4ghz crystal less type radio. I purchased the kit as I already had electronics. If I didn't have a radio, I would have purchased the RTR and as money and time permitted I would upgrade the RTR with the pro kit parts.

hkenvy91 12-12-2007 02:36 PM

yeah but with the eight-t the servos that come with the spektrum suck and wont serve the truck the justice it deserves

luisev 12-12-2007 02:58 PM

They do work and I've seen club racers race with them and succeed. As mentioned above... as money and time permits... upgrade what's necessary.

jdmille500 12-12-2007 04:00 PM

im def leaning towards the losi 8ight. just didnt know if it was worth the extra money to go kit? does the kit make a huge difference? what difference is it, weight, durabiliy, handling?

my thought are, if im going to need to upgrade the servos, why not go ahead and get the ones it needs?

JSRacer 12-12-2007 04:26 PM

A Main Hobbies has reviews on the truggies that they sell. The Mugen MBX5T Prospec has 14 reviews and every one of them is 5 stars. I have a Mugen MBX5T and absolutely love it! Very tough, light, and handles so well that I surprise myself sometimes. 'Is that me driving?' :)

jdmille500 12-12-2007 04:44 PM

what servos do you suggest for a truggy?

hkenvy91 12-12-2007 05:05 PM

well i run jr9100's but that is extremely high end servo's!:)

start with anything that has 80-100oz for throttle and around 200 oz for steering! that will make them come to life

hkenvy91 12-12-2007 05:07 PM

if you plan to race , i suggest the kit as premium parts come on them, stuff that you will eventually upgrade to anyhow

ORIGINAL: jdmille500

im def leaning towards the losi 8ight. just didnt know if it was worth the extra money to go kit? does the kit make a huge difference? what difference is it, weight, durabiliy, handling?

my thought are, if im going to need to upgrade the servos, why not go ahead and get the ones it needs?

dr.bjm 12-12-2007 05:08 PM

I just got my 8T RTR yesterday and am very impressed. I took the 590M servo it comes with for steering and moved it to the throttle and added an ACE 1313 for steering. I think the JR 650M servo is enough with 140oz of torque and those are only about $45.

Jatohulk 12-12-2007 05:21 PM

Are you telling me that the Losi 8T is better than the Xray XT8 no way not in a million years. If you want a great truggy with great craftmanship get the Xray XT8. Look I live in FL no one here supports that Xray XT8 why because it expensive ppl want the best but do not want to pay for it. I order all my things by internet. I have the XRay NT1 on-road, Xray XT8 Truggy, Losi LST2 Monster Truck. Once you buy a Xray you will never go to other brand again. My XT8 has a Ninja .28 Turbo compition engine on it and I love it.. Everyone will tell you something different because everyone like different things. It took me 1 years to do my research and look around to get a nice RC Truggy. So read up on it as much as you can from different car and then pick one. But I know that no one can say anything bad about XRay Brand. Xray is a top brand. THe only thing ppl will say oh Xray is too Expensive thats it..

dr.bjm 12-12-2007 05:29 PM

Maybe it's just me but I feel that when you are talking about Xray, mugen, 8T, the factors that will make it "the best truggy" are going to come down to your setups i.e. the motor, linkages, diffs, oil weights, and most important the DRIVER. It's too bad RC's shops aren't like car dealerships where you can test drive them all to pick which one you want. If you are in the top truggy brands it just comes down to personal opinion. I think it is really strange to see people always badmouthing others decisions on what to buy and the whole mine is better than yours thing. Get what you like and learn that truggy to the best of your abilities.

Jatohulk 12-12-2007 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: dr.bjm

Maybe it's just me but I feel that when you are talking about Xray, mugen, 8T, the factors that will make it "the best truggy" are going to come down to your setups i.e. the motor, linkages, diffs, oil weights, and most important the DRIVER. It's too bad RC's shops aren't like car dealerships where you can test drive them all to pick which one you want. If you are in the top truggy brands it just comes down to personal opinion. I think it is really strange to see people always badmouthing others decisions on what to buy and the whole mine is better than yours thing. Get what you like and learn that truggy to the best of your abilities.
Dr. I can not have said it better. Good one. You are so right.. Hell if you are a pro drive you can race with a HPI HellFire and still win races...

jdmille500 12-12-2007 06:50 PM

so your saying you can get a hellfire at Toys 'R' us...[:@]

hkenvy91 12-12-2007 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Jatohulk

Are you telling me that the Losi 8T is better than the Xray XT8 no way not in a million years. If you want a great truggy with great craftmanship get the Xray XT8. Look I live in FL no one here supports that Xray XT8 why because it expensive ppl want the best but do not want to pay for it. I order all my things by internet. I have the XRay NT1 on-road, Xray XT8 Truggy, Losi LST2 Monster Truck. Once you buy a Xray you will never go to other brand again. My XT8 has a Ninja .28 Turbo compition engine on it and I love it.. Everyone will tell you something different because everyone like different things. It took me 1 years to do my research and look around to get a nice RC Truggy. So read up on it as much as you can from different car and then pick one. But I know that no one can say anything bad about XRay Brand. Xray is a top brand. THe only thing ppl will say oh Xray is too Expensive thats it..
i agree with you their jato i have a kyosho st-rr and they are both<xray/kyosho> hands down in fit and finish, a finer product than the eight trucks

but you do pay for it!!:)

chrobar 12-12-2007 07:29 PM

Consider maybe the CEN Matrix TR Arena. It is much cheaper than the kits you are looking at, but they keep up or exceed the competition. It's a perfect truck if you plan to race. There is a great thread on it at truggyracers.com you can check out the website as well.
Tom

gtsum 12-12-2007 08:51 PM

There is no clear answer to your question. Different trucks work better for certain people then others do, so the best thing is to drive a couple of them and then decide..that being said, the trucks do have different personalities for sure (and do NOT go RTR...you will be better off in the long run going with a kit):

Losi 8ight - light, fast, jumps great, good shocks - they can be extremely fast on the track, but they tend to be a little more squirrely then some of the other trucks. Several local racers have all said the same thing....they are very fast with it for 2-4 laps, and then they have a couple laps where the truck gets away from them and the times go way up...basically, it is harder to be consistant with this truck imo...Also, it likes to develop slop pretty quickly

Mugen - durable, proven winner, fast, tons of aftermarket support - the Mugen drives very differently then the 8ight...the Mugen likes to be driven hard and slid around the corners...you need to "drive" the 8ight to be fast...you can throw the Mugen around a lot easier and it is more foregiving

Xray - highest quality parts, fit and finish you will find - no slop at all (even after a hard season of racing) - kind of a cross between the 8ight and the Mugen...it can be pushed hard (like the Mugen), but it can and will also turn under any truck out there (has more steering then both the Mugen and the 8ight) - very durable as well. Factory support is great as well...

Kyosho ST-RR - newest ride out and it is nice..best shocks on the market (by far imo), longer wheelbase, chromolly gears. Likes to be driven loose, and if you are good enough driver, you will likely be pretty fast with it

These are my experiences with the trucks, so take them for what it is worth...I have the xray and have 6 gallons on it - no slop at all and it is very tough. The xray has more adjustability as well, but this can get you in a mess if you start changing too many things. The weak part of the xray is the stock shocks...they plain and simple do not work near as well as others - I solved that by putting the Kyosho Big Bores on it. You can and will win with all the trucks above...it really just depends on what you are looking for, so good luck!

jdmille500 12-12-2007 09:07 PM

take any of these truggies for example. lets say i get one of the truggy kits. if i was to race the the buggy kit version, with the same level drivers (intermediate). how would the truggy do against the buggy? both having the best electronics. at that level of competetion is there a big difference, or will there not be a bid difference until you get to the pro level?

Jatohulk 12-12-2007 11:21 PM

ORIGINAL: jdmille500

take any of these truggies for example. lets say i get one of the truggy kits. if i was to race the the buggy kit version, with the same level drivers (intermediate). how would the truggy do against the buggy? both having the best electronics. at that level of competetion is there a big difference, or will there not be a bid difference until you get to the pro level?
Ok now you are talking about too different thing. A truggy is easier to drive more forgiving but a buggy is hard to drive.

ttoks 12-13-2007 01:35 AM

this is what it coes down to when your talking about truggies, this is NOT monster trucks, all the the top truggies are well built machines, and the gains you will see switching between one to the other will be minimal at beast, particularly if your new to racing, now this is just my opinion but one you like the look of one over the others just because it look's good, take that truggy, if it apeals to you thats what matters, it's not like monster truck where every design is drastically different.

if you want the 8ight T, go the 8ight T, but yes the PRO versions are worth the extra coin, particually if your racing, for example the 8ight T race roller comes with better quality alloy for the chassis, shock caps and shock towers, hard anordised shock shafts and wheel hexes, a machined engine mount the mounts then engine low enough to use bump start, and a whole range of tuning options like sway bars that the RTR doesn't come with, and then you can choose what radio, servos and engine you want in it which allows you to customize it, each PRO kit has little things that are very handy for racing and fine tuning your machine that the standard version's don't come with.

slayerphonics 12-13-2007 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: hkenvy91

yeah but with the eight-t the servos that come with the spektrum suck and wont serve the truck the justice it deserves
Team losi - Replaced the spektrum steering servo to a JR 590 or something like they still use the spektrum servo for the throttle

slayerphonics 12-13-2007 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: ttoks

this is what it coes down to when your talking about truggies, this is NOT monster trucks, all the the top truggies are well built machines, and the gains you will see switching between one to the other will be minimal at beast, particularly if your new to racing, now this is just my opinion but one you like the look of one over the others just because it look's good, take that truggy, if it apeals to you thats what matters, it's not like monster truck where every design is drastically different.

if you want the 8ight T, go the 8ight T, but yes the PRO versions are worth the extra coin, particually if your racing, for example the 8ight T race roller comes with better quality alloy for the chassis, shock caps and shock towers, hard anordised shock shafts and wheel hexes, a machined engine mount the mounts then engine low enough to use bump start, and a whole range of tuning options like sway bars that the RTR doesn't come with, and then you can choose what radio, servos and engine you want in it which allows you to customize it, each PRO kit has little things that are very handy for racing and fine tuning your machine that the standard version's don't come with.
A better alloy for the chassis in the prokit? doesn't make sense, do you have proof that losi uses a diffrent composite of material on their RTRs?