Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP T-28C

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
cloud_master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP T-28C

I believe it is the right half but can't be sure until I look when I get home now. I did already recover the half with the real deal (Solartex), however getting it painted to match may be another hurdle.

I have an email into Al @ Robart in regards to the lack of lines. Also, I believe I was shorted 2 pair of quick disconnects. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't 2 pair of disconnects be needed for each wing half? I asked him about that in the email as well. I'm a pneumatic retract newbie, so I found some instructions on their website and printed them off.

I must have had one to many brandy and cokes last night, cuz I accidentally mixed 5 min epoxy hardner and 15 min epoxy hardner for my flap hinges. I was wondering why it wasn't dry by this morning, then noticed the two bottles I had sitting on the table. Arggg.........

I'll have to try and clean that hardner out with some alcohol or something before reglueing.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandy and Coke?[&o]

You do need a pair of quick disconnects. The picture below shows what came with my "kit". The disconnects, both male and female halves, are shown locked together here. I don't know what half the other stuff in the photo is for yet.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35364.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1726873  
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Daniel-EL

ORIGINAL: SAM-RCU

The gray foam tubbing goes inside the wheels to stiffen them up.
Thanks for the info. Do you find it necessary to use the tire "stuffing" with this model?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 AM
cloud_master

From what I understand, one quick disconnect for the air in, one for the air out on each wing. Al @ Robart was saying something about teeing them together. I have no idea what he is talking about. I've looked at the install diagram, and I don't think he knows either...........

It was the left half that I recovered btw.......
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah, the gear isn't real scale. I'm out of town or I'd tell you more, but some compromises have to be made in order for the gear to fit in the designed area. I blocked the front gear, but exactly how much I raised it, I can't remember. I think it was about 7/16", but not sure. Basically, I raised the front until the elevator was level. It looks sort of like it is running down hill, but I think it is actually neutral. I also had to do some trimming on the fiberglass to get the gear, mounts and bolts on the front in place. There really wasn't any provisions for mounting anything up front except an oval hole cut out of the fuse, so I fabbed some wooden blocks to bolt to the gear. Also, because the gear has to be slid forward, the front of the blocks are sort of hanging out in space. Anyway, I don't know how to explain it very well, but I put a block under each side of the front gear and bolted the gear to the blocks. The blocks are bolted to a piece of plywood which is in turn bolt and glued to the airplane.

Does that make sense?

As far as the scissors are concerned, I think I tried front scissor being on the back of the leg, but because my gear are converted to electric, it hit the power cord exiting the electric motor. I rotated it, even though it isn't scale, so I didn't eventually break the motor.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
wherewaldo

has anyone found a good solution on how to clean the white solartex fabric or is there some product that can be applied to it to make it easier to clean,,,,but still has a matt finish....any info appreciated...thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Magnum RC

I would recommend you use a mild detergent and after you get it clean, spray the entire aircraft with a flat polyurathane clear that is water soluble. It seems the chemicals will compromise the paint if alchohol will do it.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Magnum RC

Oops, duplicate... please remove
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 AM
wherewaldo

hey guys
I am installing an asp 400 on my t-28 , this radial is a bit heavier than the gas engines , do you think i should beef up the mount on the nose gear?
Also I have to build the firewall out about 1.5 to 2 in to clear so the prop can clear the cowl...has anyone done this kind of installatiion?
thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Daniel-EL

I'm using standoffs and washers from [link=http://www.pspmfg.com/RCEngineMountingHardware.html]PSP[/link] to mount my OS-FR300.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM
wherewaldo

here is a pic of my asp 400 with keleo exhaust ,  am installing in the t-28[img]031[/img]
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 AM
cloud_master

What's the latest and greatest everyone that is building one of these?  I'm still putzing with mine yet.  Putting servos in and such.  I'm picking up a DA-50 for this bird when i'm at Toledo next weekend.  Anybody else fly there's yet?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM
cloud_master

How has everyone hooked up the nose wheel steering?  Separate servo?  Linked to rudder servo?

No one has maidened yet?? 
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM
wherewaldo

i am strengthening my nose wheel area so it can handle the asp 400 radial.
probably will use a separate servo for the nose wheel hooked up together with the rudder. Check out this picture if I am building it out 1 and a half inches to accommodate the clearance from the cowl. I squared it up to the firewall, does this degree of incidence look acceptable?? because it is flush with the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13435.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1748722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38867.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1748723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70349.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1748724  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
wherewaldo

also i have sprayed the wings with topflite lustrekote flat ....so i can handle them and still clean them afterwards....has anyone else done something similar? this coating  is tough to clean if not treated
Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
cloud_master

I've been wanting to spray the wings and tail with something, just havn't grown the balls to do it yet.  How did yours turn out?  I'm nervous spraying it over the decals and such and not having adverse reactions........
Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 AM
wherewaldo

mine turned out great! i sprayed the flat clear coat over all the solertex surfaces....3 light coats as per direction on the canwww3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P....is where you can get it ....no problem over decals
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM
cloud_master

ORIGINAL: wherewaldo

mine turned out great! i sprayed the flat clear coat over all the solertex surfaces....3 light coats as per direction on the canwww3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P....is where you can get it ....no problem over decals

Did you have any problems over the areas you already tried to clean your dirty fingerprints off? I've already tried cleaning mine with various things. Ended up just using soap and water and a rag in the end. I'm worried the paint won't stick.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 AM
wherewaldo

i had one finger print i had to clean off.....mild soap and warm water worked well....the paint stuck fine over that area....you should have no problems
now with the coating on  any prints now basically wipe off easily!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
cloud_master

Are you planning on spraying the fueslage with the clear coat as well?

How close are you to a maiden flight?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Magnum RC

IF anyone is almost ready to maiden their plane, I have had the pleasure of observing two of these fly for the first time... They have a unique idiosyncracy. Even if the plane is level, it will not fly itself off of the runway, the pilot must rotate it. Also, the analysis of the flight suggests that if you are flying off of grass, the effect is worse than off of pavement. It seems that the nose dips a little while gaining speed on the runway causing aslightnegative angle of attack.I attribute this to the additional drag on the nosegear. The pilot must use more elevator than expected to rotate the plane making it react quickly to the rotate and liftoff, the pilot must be ready for this and compensate or one might suffer the fate of the second maiden. He was going full out and yanked on the elevator in a slight panic (he was running out of runway) and caused the plane to rotate almost vertical thus losing his airspeed and subsequently crashed. The previous observation was the same only he recovered his plane and had a successful flight. Recommend using an experienced pilot on the first flight until you get used to this little quirp. The plane is too expensive to lose over a silly thing like this. Just FYI....
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So much for KMP's testing of new products before they are marketed to the general public.
Sounds like an incidence problem to me
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
cloud_master

10 degrees of flaps on take off may be the answer as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Magnum RC

Well, if you look on their website, the T-28 video shows a perfect takeoff and landing.. what's more, the flight is impeccable. Once the plane is in the air, it handles great. I don't think there is a incidence problem, it is a trike gear with a heavy engine up front. The nosegear, (just guessing) contracts on takeoff in dealing with that weight changing the angle of attack to slightly negative. The plane flys great otherwise, the only reason I piped up was so the rest of you can be aware of this little quirp without experiencing it as a surprise. Both of the planes I seen were the earlier version as a one piece wing. One thing is for sure, it needs airspeed before liftoff. The successful flight I seen was great. The pilot even let me fly it. I kept waiting for the wings to get light, ran out of runway and so I pulled back hard and it jerked off the ground. Once I was aware, the next takeoff was uneventful because I knew the stab had to start flying to get it off.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
wherewaldo

hey cloud master....no i did not spray the fuse ....the fiber glass that it is made of cleans up well....i am not ready for a maiden yet ...probably June...
i am concentrating on the 88.5 kmp spitfire right now which is ready and should maiden ....weather permiting 1 week this Sunday! ...i sprayed the wings and tail as well..no problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.