Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Retracts: Dave Brown, Great Planes or other

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Mechanical Retracts: Dave Brown, Great Planes or other

Old 07-28-2003, 07:11 PM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Retracts: Dave Brown, Great Planes or other

I'm replacing the junk I got in my Kit with something a little better... But which. The one's I have suffer from too much slop with the 3.25" wheels and have no adjustment screws.
The gent on the phone from DBP says they are good up to 15lbs. and no one has ever complained about any slop. They are also 90* where i have need for 85.... so i can go -5 into the wing. Don't know too much about the Great planes or hobbico's

I'm just looking for guys who have used either (or a third brand)and can give some pros/cons

I have a model tech p-47. it's gonna weigh in between 9-11.5 lbs
To soon into the kit bashing to know exact weight. I fly off grass and can land well (under power) am border line OK deadstick. Though I won't be flying this ship until next season so i have time to learn to land better. (only been flying since april).

Thanks for your help
~ray
Old 07-29-2003, 03:59 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Planes .60 size mechanical retracts are pretty good. They are 85° and have very little play. Plus, the struts are durable and don't bend very easily. However, 11.5 lbs. is on the borderline of being too heavy for these retracts. Check out the same retracts being used on the 11 lbs. GiantScalePlanes.com Spitfire: http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...w&reviewid=117
Old 07-29-2003, 06:40 PM
WarpdSpazm

Thanks.... I've already ordered the Dave Brown Southern Pros. Some other guys replied in another post about them being real good... Also got to speak with DBP about the retracts. they say go up to 15 lbs. THough he spoke of a man that runs them on a 22 pounder! 40 bucks from my LHS is pretty good for the pair, since i already have my retract servos (1 per retract)...

Thanks for the info
Old 07-29-2003, 07:57 PM
GEMcLean
My Feedback: (3)

Browns are an excellent choice for that size model. I have been flying with them for over 20 years in both Pattern and Sport Scale ships. Very solid and reliable. The only problem is the struts need to be bent back on a regular basis, but that just becomes part of the pre-flight.

Good Flyin'!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:03 PM
WarpdSpazm

If things go well with the maiden and other test flights, she'll get a set of oleo's to replace them... My LHS owner and good friend is a quality machinist and more than happy to do (and teach me the ropes of) some custom fabrication.