Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-47 60 size or GS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-47 60 size or GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-47 60 size or GS

I would like to build a TF P-47 but I’m not sure what size to build, 60 or GS. I was planning to build the 60 size so I picked up the kit and Satio 100. I attended a Giant Scale fun fly this summer and I was impressed by a TFGS P-51 that a guy was flying. So it got me thinking maybe I should build the GS version. I would like to hear opinions from people that have flown both. Is GS version that much better than the 60 size one. Other considerations are the cost difference, building complexity and size for transporting. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Top Flite P-47 60 size or GS

I have been flying a TF 60 P47 for several years. It is a great flyer. I see no need to go to the giant scale unless you just want to spend more money (-:
Walt
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The P-47 is a great flier in any size. Wide gear, generous surfaces, and a large oval cowl for all the power you could want. Good choice. As to size, in the P-47, I like them big. I fly one that is 102" and weighs almost 50lbs. It has an impressive presence in the air and at that weight, it flies very scale like in even a 15 MPH wind. I have flown it in 15 MPH or more cross winds with no problem. Lighter smaller war birds are unrealistically bounced around in even much less wind, and look like models in the air, IMO. I just prefer my war birds larger and more realistic looking in the air. My sport and aerobatic planes can bounce around all day.

Having said all that, I think the Top Flight is a very nice bird in any size and I'm sure you will enjoy flying it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18683.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	1505784  
Old 09-23-2010, 05:12 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Steve, though I have not built a Tbolt, I did go through the same decision on an FW190. As it was my first warbird build, I figured it would cost me enough to do the .60 size, and that it would be a good place to start. In the end, I regretted not building the 1/5 size as I don't think I really saved all that much dough building the .60 sized bird...and probably regardless of type, the larger birds always seem to be a little more forgiving and a LOT easier to handle on the ground due to the larger wheel sizes, and the tendency to roll over taller grass or rougher fields easily. I say go bigger, and you'll never then find yourself saying "man, I sure like this plane, just wished I would have gone a little bigger". Any warbird is a lot of effort to do them up nicely, and the cost to benefit ratio is still in good favor at the 85" size. It gets a lot more to go 100"...so I like that 85" size a lot.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Bigger does fly better in many ways but also can cost more if you follow some folks. What I suggest you do is find out the cost of the most expensive things you will need. The cost of landing gears , retracts, wheels, engine, servos can get expensive. Now a G62 or Sachs 50 would be 2 cheap choices for engine. The electronic Ignition stuff is light so you would need lead weight up front. Do not need digital servos. Regular giant scale servos are cheaper and work just fine. As a matter of fact you can use Hitec 77BB in the wings flaps and ailerons, HS 425s or 645s in the tail. Thats what I`m using in my Meister 102" ME 109. Been using them for years before digitals were even on the seen. Just ask anyone that has been flying giant scale for more than 15 years what they used back then. We even used Futaba 148s for aileron some times with no problems. Don`t let anyone tell you that you do.
Now retracts is a different story. All depends on how scale you going and your patients. Last thing you want is to be fixing landing gears after every other flight. You can go with Sierra, CJ or Robarts. I would not go with Robarts. My friends that had them in giant size planes and anything short of a soft smooth landing cause bends and collapse gears. CJ are a bit better but you have to install then right. Sierras are like plug and play.You install and forget them. They will work 99% of the time with no problems, up and down and super strong. Just that they not cheap.
Comes down to how much you have to spend and how scale you want to go. Giant warbirds can be built on a budget you just have to be knowledgeable of the other choices out there. There are some that have the funds to spend on the expensive top of the line stuff, most of it they don`t need but they convinced themselves that they do. Guess they sleep better at night. I do too at 1/3 of the cost.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve I have both, The 63" flies great with no bad habits, I haven't flown the 85" but hope to soon. The only question is the cost to build and operate. The 63" will be much cheaper to build but the cost of a flight with glow fuel around 20 buck and the 85" the cost to build will be 2 to 3 times the 63" but then a gallon of gas is only 3 bucks. One other consideration is the 85" will be easier to detail than the 63".

Good Luck, Either one will be a blast to fly and own.

Ron
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM
91zulu

The larger planes are not harder to build compare to the 60 size. It get complex if you want it scaled out with cockpit, rivets and panel lines. Now transporting depends what you are driving. I drive a Ford Explorer and I could transport my 109 inside or I transport on the roof in a PVC cradle I made. To me not much of a pain.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 PM
smkrcflyer

Thanks for all the feedback It looks like I have a lot to think about.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Walt Thyng

Take a look at all the electric retracts coming out. I have pneumatics in mine and they are a pain. As soon as $$$$ allow I will replace them with electrics. Basically, I think you got good sound input. In the end the decision comes down to subjective issues and cost.
Walt
Old 09-24-2010, 12:18 PM
luckyb

I bought a TF 47 about 10 yrs ago used. I flew it extensively, lent it to other pilots who flew the halftime at Top Gun, and eventually gave it to a friend who refurbished it and flew it in Pro Am at Top Gun in '09. It is the GS version and is one of the best flying aircraft I've ever had my hands on.We use a G62 and Spring Air gear. We never had trouble transporting it, and I don't think you spend that much more building it than the 60 size version.I have a new one in the works and can tell you that bigger flys better. Good luck no matter which you choose.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 PM
curtusua-RCU
My Feedback: (91)

I have both and have flown both. Lots of good points here in this thread. Personally, I think the giant scale model is a little better all around but both handle well both on the ground and in the air. I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a lousy flying P-47 as long as is designed and built well... they just are wonderful airplanes and certainly one of the best warbirds in any size for newer warbird fliers. Top Flite models are very nicely done but tend to be a little on the heavy end of the scale compared with some others. My giant scale P-47 is almost 25 pounds and my 60 size is around 11, ready to fly.

Really, the bottom line is going to be cost, as you will be happy with either one. The larger size just feels better and handles the wind better. Plus, I'm getting older and I can see the GS model better! I would definitely suggest considering the Sierra gear for the large scale. I use Lado retracts on my 60 size and Robart on my GS but I wish now that I had spent the extra cash on the Sierra's for the GS as their gear is simply terrific.

BTW... both of my models are electric powered.

Good luck...
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: curtusua-RCU

I have both and have flown both. Lots of good points here in this thread. Personally, I think the giant scale model is a little better all around but both handle well both on the ground and in the air. I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a lousy flying P-47 as long as is designed and built well... they just are wonderful airplanes and certainly one of the best warbirds in any size for newer warbird fliers. Top Flite models are very nicely done but tend to be a little on the heavy end of the scale compared with some others. My giant scale P-47 is almost 25 pounds and my 60 size is around 11, ready to fly.

Really, the bottom line is going to be cost, as you will be happy with either one. The larger size just feels better and handles the wind better. Plus, I'm getting older and I can see the GS model better! I would definitely suggest considering the Sierra gear for the large scale. I use Lado retracts on my 60 size and Robart on my GS but I wish now that I had spent the extra cash on the Sierra's for the GS as their gear is simply terrific.

BTW... both of my models are electric powered.

Good luck...
I have both of these airplanes (ARF-versions) and have flown them both. I second everything that curtusua-RCU has said above.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
91zulu

Lots of good input. Don`t let the size and cost scare you away. Trust me where there is a will there is a way. You said you saw the GS P51 fly and was impressed. You get the GS P 47 you will be thrilled as it start to take shape. Now after the first flight you WILL be twice as thrilled. Also yes Springair makes very good retracts along with Shindin.

http://www.shindinmachine.com/
Old 09-25-2010, 06:04 AM
smkrcflyer

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It sounds like the GS is the way to go if I decide to spend the extra money. But it also sounds like the 60 size is a good plane. The field I fly at is very nice and well keep. Many of the club members fly jets so flying a 60 size plane there is not a problem. I'm going to take a look at my RC stuff to see what I can sell and maybe refocus my direction so I will have the funds needed for the GS. I don't need all the money to get started and I'm a slow builder so I can buy what's needed as I go. I have a Midwest AT-6 that I got used that I will be flying next year. This will be my first warbird, gas engine and retract plane so maybe flying this one will help me decide.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It sounds like the GS is the way to go if I decide to spend the extra money. But it also sounds like the 60 size is a good plane. The field I fly at is very nice and well keep. Many of the club members fly jets so flying a 60 size plane there is not a problem. I'm going to take a look at my RC stuff to see what I can sell and maybe refocus my direction so I will have the funds needed for the GS. I don't need all the money to get started and I'm a slow builder so I can buy what's needed as I go. I have a Midwest AT-6 that I got used that I will be flying next year. This will be my first warbird, gas engine and retract plane so maybe flying this one will help me decide.
The full scale AT6 was the advanced trainer for many of these fighters including the P-51 and P-47. In some respects, mine does not handle as well as the large fighters like my P-47. I think you will find going from your AT6 to a Thunderbolt is an easy thing. I suspect you will enjoy the P-47 even more. Have fun with your project and hope to see a build thread on that Jug, whichever one you build.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 PM
91zulu

Be careful with that T6. It will snap if you mishandle it. More so if its heavy over, 25 pounds.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Walt Thyng

The AT6 was an Advanced Trainer, not a Primary. It was designed to be more unstable than the primary trainers in preparation for even more maneuverable fighters.
Walt
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng

The AT6 was an Advanced Trainer, not a Primary. It was designed to be more unstable than the primary trainers in preparation for even more maneuverable fighters.
Walt
Of course, you are correct. My bad. I should have said "advanced", sorry. [sm=disappointed.gif] I edited my post.