Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli Bearcat.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli Bearcat.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:11 PM
warbirdz1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Bearcat.....

Who's built/flown the Ziroli Bearcat?.....What did you like or not like about the plane?.......What kind of powerplant did you use?........and what paints schemes did you use?....... I'm interested in building one as I have seen several around that appeared to have good flying qualities and landed very nicely........Its also just slightly smaller than most of the 1/5 scale models which makes it easy to take out to the field.....Thanks in Advance for your opinions......Bill.....
Old 07-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Bama
My Feedback: (18)

Default Ziroli Bearcat

Hey,
I have one that is built and glassed and waiting on paint. I am using a Sachs 5.8 for power, but anything from a 4.2 up should fly it well. I am using the 5.8 because I have it. It was pretty easy to do some nice little scale mods to. I made a sliding canopy, hid all my switches, and built functional scale exhaust.

Since I can't tell you about flying it yet, I can say that it was not a bad build. It has been waiting on paint for over a year now, but I have built a house and shop during that time.(That is actually building it, not having it built) So, I hope to get back on it soon.

I too have heard good things about its flight characteristics. I hope to find out soon. I am going with the Red Rippers 100 paint scheme. It is all blue with a little red here and there and white markings.

Alan
Old 07-29-2003, 08:59 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ziroli Bearcat .. Evos hangar

You guys are making me drool .. I have a Madden-cut Ziroli Bearcat waiting for its turn at the building board... and I'll bet it will be a rocket with a 5.8 on it ...

There is an amazing website with a lot of info on the Z-bearcat done up in sorta RareBear form (but he did not shorten the wing) ... check it out:

http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/home.html

This guy is major-league serious!!!

Dave
Old 07-30-2003, 01:44 PM
luckyb001
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Bill, I like the Bearcat but from what I have seen they are kinda slow Mike
Old 07-31-2003, 01:50 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had a Q-65. Flew great. I had the Tiano scale articulating gera...pain in the rear. Had to adjust drag link about every other flight. But, was a joy to fly.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:06 PM
John in Boston
My Feedback: (1)

The aeronautical divinities FORCED me to buy that F8F Bearcat plan!!! THEY made me do it. Actually, a good buddy of mine's father flew them with the USN Reserves out of NAS Glenview way back in the late 1940s.

Yeah...very recently I bought the plan online from a nice guy up in Canada, and hopefully it'll be arriving soon. I have never built a plane of this large size...I am new to the Giant Scale scene. If I go through with it, I'd definitely buy the many bits that the Ziroli company offers, plus the laser-cut wood package from one of the popular suppliers.

Meanwhile, the 1:1 scale Bearcat is one of those planes that just LOOKS RIGHT/ FLYS RIGHT, so it's no surprise that the model should do as well! And Nick Ziroli's work is respected everywhere.

The wide-track landing gear, the nice roomy engine cowl, generous lifting surfaces and reasonable moments (for a perhaps "stubby" overall planform)... all these things contribute toward a model with maybe surprisingly good handling qualities, both in the air and on the ground.

And every pilot who ever flew the 1:1 scale Bearcat just LOVED that plane !!! Good luck with your project.