Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Heinkel HE 72 build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Heinkel HE 72 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 AM
desilejf
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heinkel HE 72 build

I have been researching this project since 2002 and in the hope that there may be some valuable information on the subject I have yet to uncover I decided that letting people know about the project would be beneficial. The base kit was from Wolfgang Siedel the manufacturer of many beautiful radial engines, yes the power will be a 770 Siedel radial.
My subject is airframe D-EHYZ which I believe was a really dressed up version of the Edel Kadett or the B-3 version known as the HE 72D. In my search for illusive documentary evidence I was put in contact with several men who flew this aircraft in the late 40's. These men provided me with anything I requested and when I searched for the propeller logo I was presented with a very rare postcard sent internally in Germany in 1936 with a head on view of D-EHYZ and the prop logo was a simple HEINE. Heine build wood props even for the early ME 109's.
Specificly I need cockpit detail information, it appears from all the data I have that Heinkel used a pale grey color inside their birds but it could also be a pale green. I will post as I go and I am not a fast builder so all my small details take time.
Any amplifying information would be very helpful. I believe the internet has been farmed pretty thoroughly but I could have missed things and many things that were available in 2002 are not on the net now that I can find.
The subject was silver and black and there was no silver paint at that time so I will use aluminum paste and dope which is in my opinion the most beautiful silver paint work ever produced.

This is not really a kit build as the kit isnt competitive and I am building many components from scratch to match the data I have. The wingtips have already been redone in reed from Proctor Ent as has the metal work on the empenage. The gear is close to scale, and ruined a few cobalt bits during construction.
I have done all the wheel pants and the ring cowl in fiberglass, which took me all last week to accomplish.
I have uploaded a few pics of my progress and as you can see there is quite a bit of aluminum involved, all aircraft grade with the exception of the gear coverings which are K&S airfoil shaped pieces.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 AM
desilejf

Default RE: Heinkel HE 72 build

Lets me work on the pics again.
This was one of Germanys front line trainers during the war and flew much like a DH82 Moth.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to following this one!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 AM
desilejf

I am hoping that the files uploaded and will post this time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14307.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1514568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88064.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1514569  
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM
glazier808

Nice!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:31 AM
desilejf

The actual subject which is a photograph of a photograph. These came from a book someone had in Germany.
I have various phootgraphs from the same source of D-EHYZ after it was taken by the military and the cowl was removed and various training markings were applied but this very dressed up factory fresh version appeals to me more than the later configuration

Name:	Wu62272.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1514575  
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 AM
desilejf

Finished the stub wings where the lower wing panels plug in and also installed the rudder and elevator servos. I tried using Gorilla glue to bond the aircraft aluminum to the ply bulkheads but JB Weld is far superior. Mostly this airframe is bolted together but the longerons are all glued in place. I have successfully hidden the rudder and elevator linkage and have the steerable tail skid functional. I am going to set this up with a steerable tail wheel for competitive flying and only use the skid for static and asphalt.
The rear seat will not sit at the correct height since I installed the servos directly under that for access. I will lower that today and hope I dont interfere with the rudder linkage.
Everything so far has been isolated from metal to metal contact to try and prevent stray noise from interfering with the radio, I have considered ground straps if I am concerned about any areas as I proceed.

Certainly hope this gets much more interesting to readers as I progress.

Name:	Ki18604.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1514585  
Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM
desilejf

Worked on the landing gear the last couple of days. The original bent wire gear was not scale and I wanted to follow the material and three views I have. I machined the main carrier to fit inside the fuselage and the visible Phillips heads hold two pieces of 4130 chrome molly plate. I machined shoulders on both sides of the machined part so the 4130 had no place to go in the event of a hard landing. Where the 4130 exits the fuselage and accepts the upper strut I tig welded a top piece on for added stiffness.
The articulated parts of the gear all fit together with pins and cotter keys and are much neater than the screws I have in place while working. The main oleo struts are stainless tubing that are slip fit. Getting the stainless to fit nicely and move smoothly was tedious but it seems to work very well. Century Jet supplied various springs so I could get a rate that I feel will work, they may be a bit light but I will just have to fly the bird to know for sure.

The main gear fairing is balsa with aluminum covering, I used litho plate. After bending the edge of one side on the brake I simply measured the balsa parts and cut the plate then bent it around the balsa and put the raw edge under the fold I had made and it was a tight fit, a little CA and everything seems to be in order. I primed the legs just to get a feel for any further work or imperfections that I want to eliminate.

Name:	Mk26374.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1516964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13483.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1516965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59567.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1516966  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 PM
desilejf

Like anyone else when the Siedel 770 showed up in its original box I stopped everything else and hung it on the nose of the Heinkel. Machined some .750 post as the supplied mount is too long and the .750 gave me scale prop clearance. I took shots of the mounts and the access hole from the fuel cell compartment where all those nuts and bolts end up in hard to reach places. I will put a few blind nuts in place to ease assembly and any work up front.

I did have one interesting event right after I test fit the engine, Siedels are heavy and I picked the airframe up by the front bulkhead and the top gave way. I managed to keep the engine from hitting the concrete but the gear took a big hit and I had no suspension after, it was just loose, no spring tension at all. I figured the springs had climbed up into the inner legs and they had. Built some brass followers to go between the springs and the inner leg and they seem to work well, didnt give it the big drop test again but I think the gear is pretty darned rugged.

Name:	Hf98884.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1519610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54196.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1519611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34053.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1519612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19463.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1519613  
Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM
desilejf

Made up a throttle servo mount today from a piece of light aluminum stock. One thing I didn't show was the use of two small teflon flanged sleeves to isolate the mount from the fuselage, not sure that was even necessary but limiting any stray noise from the servos or wiring is something I am working at. The mount itself also allows enough space for the mounting screws so they do not contact the case and I showed that spacing in one pic.
I have the templates for these mounts for most servos, Futaba is a stand alone and most other servos fit in my other mount bracket. The standard holes to mount the bracket are far enough outside the actual servo so they can be screwed down in any space you need them.

Also installed the cowl brackets yesterday and have that all set up with equal clearances around the heads.

Name:	Xv65140.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1520504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50963.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1520505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18642.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1520506  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 AM
desilejf

Included the templates for various servos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
He97256.pdf (460.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
firepilot2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job John.......I forgot how cool that bird is.....Keep up the good work!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Siedel have some sort of exhaust collector ring? I couldn't see dealing with that much glow goo... Beautiful work so far!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
desilejf

Sessholvlaru: I dont have a collector. However these engines will not run on 4 stroke fuel. Commercial fuel will cool the plugs. 6% oil is all that they require and anything more just doesnt work. I have alcohol, race fuel, and add lubriplate to that so I get the right mix. RedMax made fuel for Charlie Nelson or it was called Charlie Nelson but I dont believe they make it anymore.
Here is a pic of my Proctor Neiuport 28C1 that I ran silicon tubes on but I didnt really need them.
The 72D has a front collector ring and unfortunately Keleo Creations wont make them up anymore, however he did in 2005 for a really beautiful bipe that a friend of mine built for competition and if this bird turns out nice I will see if I can borrow that for the US Scale Masters.

Name:	Xu62624.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1521141  
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

John,

Great work, especially using that Siedel. I want one on a nice big Fw 190A/F/G, but my Wife would do more than kill me if'n I was to purchase one of those!

The He 72 isn't an often modeled aircraft, but there really should be more!

I don't have many images of the cockpit, but there is a decent layout as described here:
http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/Flug...Hauptseite.htm

How about one on Skis?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
desilejf

Thanks Evil the pictures are great and I have not seen the cockpit shot or the QQ bird. I managed to buy a resin model from CZ of the bird on skis and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. The domed rivets and the metal edges on the cockpit will add quite a bit to the appearance of the model. I am still figuring out how to make the little compartment behind the aft cockpit because I have to cut the aluminum stringers to attain that and I have some structural integrity issues with the cutting and how to frame that up so it is still really sound. I may be over engineering that part but a little thought process is better than Ah Sh*t.

The 72D had an Askania compass and that is not showing up anywhere I am looking. It reminds me of a tall DQ ice cream cone, just the ice cream part and I have one picture of that up in Portland and I am going there tomorrow to recover my scale data on this build.
I will be out of town for about a week.
Truely appreciate your input and have been delighted today by others getting involved and looking and asking a few questions.

You are absolutely correct not often modeled, I have two sets of plans and actually this could be built easily from the ones I am working from now with the mods I have already done, moving the lower wing forward 3/4 of and inch and the gear itself.

Thank you again for your interest and support.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Correct, The compass was on top of the cockpit fairing.

and it looks like this. The compass is a model Z4. Führerkompass Z4s to be exact.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
desilejf

WOW very good Evil that would be the compass. It is not an Askania then and that is one of the reasons I was having so much trouble.
Thank you so much for the time you spent. I can replicate that no problem. I think the little tabs on the bottom, there are three, were the leveling mechanism.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
glazier808

Bang up job, John...its gonna be a great plane I'm sure.

evil....what a wealth of information in that brainpan....

give me a call when you get the chance John.

Casey
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM
tunakuts3d

this is from http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/ins...talogMenue.htm their equipment catalog.if you have or know the FL no. you probably can find it here. That other website lists all the FL no.'s so youshould be able to find a picture or drawing of all the instrument's.
Paul
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 AM
desilejf

tunakuts3d: Thank you that resolves the scale question very precisely. I will work on the master compass this week and see if I can mold a pair from that. I will make up the blank and make a mold and then cast the main body twice, if I am lucky only twice.
The compass rose and the glass part I will work at a bit and see how that goes.

I cannot find my data on this airframe that was in Portland and the resin model I paid heavily for has not arrived either. All the data that is being provided really helps re-enforce this project from a static aspect. I do have all the data I didnt think was worthy of the scale documentation I wanted and that is enough to continue on with the project but very annoying to have seen it all in July and between Portland and Denver somehow a large box of scale documentation vanished. My Dragon Rapide and SBD books were valuable but nothing compared to the Heinkel.

I very much appreciate anything about this airframe that has been sent.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
tunakuts3d

I f you have'nt already , take alook at this website http://www.luftfahrt-archiv-hafner.de/ might be somthing useful here.
Paul
Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
desilejf

tunakuts3d: Excellent I will order a couple of the offerings from the site you sent me, looks like I will get the data about the wings I want from there, and it will be good scale documentation for the judges.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:38 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John,

looks like is going to be a showstopper, have you started with the wings already?

JG
Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 AM
desilejf

JGRC: I finally got my glass building table put together again so I can build the wings. I ordered a few offerings from Germany that should give me correct rib placement and just how much of the leading edge is gloved. The plans I have were short 18 ribs which I have now corrected but they also had no glove and I can tell from photos that is also incorrect. Jerry Nelson looked at all his data for me and we still arent positive about a few things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.