Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Sierra Retracts - a T-28 horror story

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Sierra Retracts - a T-28 horror story

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sierra Retracts - a T-28 horror story

He probably lost them in all his mess he has.

Barry
Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that was the case why wouldn't Darrell just say so instead of misrepresenting the facts? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Really, what is the dealiyo [sm=drowning.gif] [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
82blackbird
My Feedback: (3)

Is this the LADO thread????
Old 11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, RCU isn't about people it's about RC and models.

More than half the posts are about a person few of us can know as well as some seem to think they do.

Talking about people really doesn't have a place in these forums.

done..........
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Threads like this are invaluable to me so that I can gain knowledge about vendors and products. After reading several threads on Sierra at other forums I am able to come to a fairly good conclusion about how the man does business. Why a forum would not want to discuss how the businesses and people making our products impacts what we buy and use escapes me.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by flyguy888
Threads like this are invaluable to me so that I can gain knowledge about vendors and products. After reading several threads on Sierra at other forums I am able to come to a fairly good conclusion about how the man does business. Why a forum would not want to discuss how the businesses and people making our products impacts what we buy and use escapes me.
I agree as I have also had business dealings with Darryl/Sierra. Overall my experience was good as I bought off the shelf retracts. In one case I needed a repair due to a manufacturing error and it took months just to get a hold of Darryl. Three years later the problem is still not resolved.

Cheers,
Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by LDM
Another great talent with no business sence , he needs a distributor like VQ/Tomas , all communication goes thru Tomas with assigned times lines .This was no promises or special projects with a forecast based on timelines and work demands .
His gear is the best , his communication is not representive of his product at all
That the only way I'll buy Sierra items.....when Tomas has them in stock
Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 AM
JPate147

I started this thread 4 years ago, in 2010. I received one phone call from Darrell chastising me for the post - sarcastically saying I was costing him money. Just for the record, it has been 4 more years without any communication or gear.
If you want to fix this Darrell, just send me my 1,000.00 back and we'll call it even.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:13 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Ha, I didn't notice the date.

So to recap, he strung you along for three years when you posted this in 2010, and now seven years later he still hasn't made this right?? Why do people stick up for a guy like this....just because you got lucky and received the items you paid for, doesn't make it OK for the other guy to get screwed.........very sad
Old 07-31-2014, 04:48 PM
DISCUS54

The Mods closed the thread a while ago, so maybe the powers that be decided otherwise. RCU has done a lot of great things, please keep that in mind when we talk about how things can be improved. I think it would helpfull to have a "User Review" for "Landing Gear" both fixed and retract...similar to "Airplanes" and "Engines" so that other users can get a firm grasp on not only product quality and reliability but also service. That would provide a way to get the information out there without having to air your own personal laundry. It is frustrating to not only be on receiving end of a bad deal, but then to be admonished for warning others when no other avenue exists...that behavior has driven more than a couple people away from here. Sierra did step up shortly after I had posted on here and sent my gear back, for which I am grateful. I still think Darrell makes the best set of custom retracts but can't speak about his customer service either way as it has been a long time since I've dealt with him and life is good! Good luck with your situation.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 PM
SkyPilot101

I need'ed a set of cam blocks for a set of 60 sz. 100 deg. rotators. Call'ed them up, answered, took my order, B.S.'ed a bit, and three days later I had the new cam blocks. No problem here ! OhYea, Best retracts out there IMHO

Last edited by SkyPilot101; 07-31-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to stick up for Darrell in the past but not anymore. His products are first class but his customer service is awful. I sent him a spinner 3 years ago and he still has it. He will not return emails or phone calls. At this point, I don't even care if he did the work on the spinner I just want it back. I will never buy his products again or recommend him to anyone.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 PM
DISCUS54

Well, I hope it ends well for everyone...I have nothing more to contribute and nothing more to gain...so I am unsubscribed.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Maybe Darrell has a black list, if your on it "no retracts for you" I have always gotten good service from Darrell, I call him, tell him what I need, replacement parts, retracts, and within a week it is at my door. Don't know what ells to say.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	soupnazi1.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2019051  
Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 AM
szempruw

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I've heard from fellow modelers that retracts are unfortunately more art than science at this time and usually end up giving you gas. I'm glad for this post and all the mature responses that are posted such that us poor users and customers of these products get and learn from the informed opinions and experience base offered. From this information we have the ability to make our own decisions as to who to purchase from and who not to purchase from. I worked in product development for over 30 years (different industry) and I can offer that customer complaints are needed and when offered with some modicum of professionalism, they do help the serious manufacturers and businessmen perform better and solve problems. I purchased Century Jet amidst a flurry of complaints read on other posts. I've have experienced the customary problems with them before even installing them. However, I have sensed the commitment to working through the problems and have each time had the problems resolved. My experiences are no where near what I've read in this post. So until the technology improves to the level it works on full size aircraft, I'd candidly suggest working with larger companies or only the very committed smaller companies who respond to customer service issues. For now, I will stay with Century Jet (Bruce Sanders) who seems to work hard at fixing not only his reputation, but increasing the quality of his gear. For the record, I have no tie or financial interest in Century Jet. I only pray that the moderators of these posts retain this information as a useful record for us hobbyists.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Darrel is an expert at design and manufacture. He is also, from personal experiance, a nice person. He has a passion for what he does and hates to say no or i can't do it right now. IMO this is where things start to go south sometimes. I do not believe anyone needs to take it personally as has been suggested, it is just his way. I wish it were otherwise and he would embrace a better customer relations policy.
His gear is top shelf in both design and material. He needs someone close to him to take the rains of customer relations and service. I will continue to use Sierra gear in the hopes that Sierra can learn from the outstanding way Bruce at Century Jet and Mitch at Down & Locked handle customer service. Two companies that IMO set the bar in that catagory.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that Bruce at Century Jet has very good customer service. He is also trying very hard to improve the quality of his gear and the reputation of the company. I will support him and hope it works out for him. I met Darrell at Sierra a few times and he does seem to be a nice guy and his gear are definitely first class. It amazes me that he has not addressed the customer service and support side of his business. Until it improves I will not support him anymore.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad we still have choices. Competition is good and free enterprizes works well when allowed to. For the most expensive of my builds, given all the time as well as money that goes into them, they garner the best design in gear for strength and dependability. For this reason, Sierra gear will continue to be my 1st Choice for these aircraft, until I find an equal alternative. I will not put my planes at risk on principle. If a comparable quality gear comes along, I will be glad to try it out.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:18 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I give you a brief history of my life and retracts .
I started with Robart in the late 80ties early 90ties . My biggest mistake was the 615 rotating gear. At the time between the cutting , drilling the gear legs and hammering I felt like I should be an employee of Robart based on the amount of assembly needed and tools needed. ( Drill press) .

Ok so I moved onto Century and was amazed at the way they arrived , complete, assembled but ,,,, . Soon found that in the 90ties early 2000, they had a design flaw called soft materials and they would easily bend. Ok no problem but you were responsible for the flaw and if you wanted replacement you paid full price.
Now to say that I was not a good customer with Century would be a lie , they knew me by first name and I knew Bruce, Charlie's and they even has a guy that was with ESM or some association that was west coast based that could repair retracts.
Ok so after feeling like I needed to spend money on more reliable retracts I went with Sierra. Every set I purchased was stock so my orders were placed and arrived on time no issues ever.
IN addition the retracts are bullet proof , not a single failure ever.
So knowing the facts I have stuck with Sierra when I need retracts but never vary to something special or a special request from sierra.
I have also ventured into electric and I feel I am some what of an expert dabbling into the China market. So with that shocking comment I wont spend more then $150 on electric retracts because I have used the cheap ones and have had great results in planes up to 15lbs.
So all the info on the current electric suppliers in the USA with electric retracts also has a ton of bad reviews that I cant seem to avoid when wanting to dabble into a USA based supplier.
the only ones that seem reliable are the more expensive Horizon eflight brands. I know some guys are using the Robarts in the Giant scale Fw190 but have not seen enough to make that jump . I know the 60 size rotating Robarts are something to run from and run fast !
So would I once again dabble in Century , no , not until I see more offerings in scale struts away from the bulky looking bottom base, a trademake of early CJ gear.
Would I keep buying Sierra with the recent drama ?? yes but only thru VQ models .
Would I buy Robart in the future , nope don't see a need to spend more or 75% of the plane in gear cost when the gear is not field proven by more then a online company sponsored review.
That is just my 2 cents
Old 02-15-2016, 07:57 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

So to the guys out there that had good results with Darrel gears and know him personally, have any of you had a heart to heart talk with him in regards to his CS? Or he just don`t care because like BVM he has his loyal customers that he caters to? I meet him at Toledo years and he does seem like a nice person, but this was before all the complaints began.
And BTW there is also Lenny at Shinden. His stuff is not pretty but strong and works. I had good service fron him.

Last edited by 91zulu; 02-15-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 AM
LDM

91 your making a ton of assumptions on his personality and that will simply close the thread by the moderator. Considering we want to use this thread for retract comparison I would stick to a solution on the brand you want to buy but leave the assumptions of caring and not caring conversation out of the mix.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM
91zulu

I said I met him at Toledo and he seem like a nice guy. How is that bad ? I could write about the hard time my flying buddy had with him 2 years ago but I did not. And further more maybe you got this thread mixed up with another that is a love story. No sir this one is a Darrel horror story, go read the FIRST POST.

Last edited by 91zulu; 02-16-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:59 PM
LDM

" or he just don't care because just like BVM he has his loyal customers" how is that bad as far as an assumption?
Sorry buddy , personall I am with you and all others , I want my retracts when I order them and I want them on time. Just don't want the thread closed on assumptions and that was clearly an assumption on his customer service.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Maybe Darrell has a black list, if your on it "no retracts for you" I have always gotten good service from Darrell, I call him, tell him what I need, replacement parts, retracts, and within a week it is at my door. Don't know what ells to say.

TB
I think just about every manufacturer in RC has a "black list" I have a feeling that Darrel's is longer than anyone else. Some customers can really be brutal when they are not talking to you face to face.

If all else fails, take lessons from the "Soup Nazi" ordering procedure:

"As you walk in the place move immediately to your right.
The main thing is to keep the line moving.
Hold out your money, speak your order in a loud,
clear voice, step to the left and receive.
It's very important not to embellish on your order. No
extraneous comments. No
questions. No compliments."
Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 PM
91zulu

The crazy thing too is the guys that get their order from him think everyone else that is complaining is lying, or unreasonable. My buddy was one that did not believe that there was issues with him untill he got hit 2 years ago with the,,` Oh i`m working on it now` and `I sent it in the mail` ...and when there was no show of items, could not get him on the phone. All of a sudden no answer. Until one day he finally got another guy that I guess be in the shop sometimes , only to tell him that his stuff was sitting in the same box he sent it in untouched on the bench. Darrel never started anything. I believed the guy sent it back to my buddy. That motor was there I think for about a year untouched..
Darrel stuff is off the chain. The man is an excellent machinist. I am one that think it hard to over spent on stuff for this hobby. But I would pay for a set of his gears because they are rock solid, well made and looks dam great. But damn...!!! I`ll stick with Shinden for anything heavy duty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.