Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

First Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Warbird Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Warbird

I have a Black Horse T-28. It flies awesome and looks great. I have been flying it a couple of years now and just recently got my first tail dragger a Kyosho P-51 . They are two totally different planes that is for sure.

Fortunately my instructor taught me how to fly using the rudder. It has made all the difference in the world. One because of the typical 10 mph crosswinds we seem to have here and two I can handle the tail dragger. You are on the rudder from the time you throttle up until it is in the roll out and when you are bringing it in.

Definitely follow the tips of not cramming the throttle and taking off before you should and definitely find the stall of your plane. I found my tip stall about a foot off of the ground thank goodness and didn't do any damage to it. Just a tip smack on the runway.

Warbirds are great but they sure aren't for the lack of experienced flyers. Have fun they are great looking planes.

Joe.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooner or later, you're gonna have to get a taildragger. They are a lot of fun, especially if they are the easier non-warbirds. You could do like I did and convert your primary trainer to a taildragger to get an easier transition.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

My first Warbird was a Spitfire. My first take off was a little wobbly, but after that, a green light! I tend to prefer the P-51 Mustang, but I also like P-40's, F4u Corsairs, and the like. I love tail draggers, even with full scale airplanes.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

He must mean the giant scale one.

Also I honestly don't find that any one warbird is any harder or easier to fly than another from a subject standpoint. By that I mean I have flown Corsairs, Stukas, Fw-190s, P-47s, P-51s, Sea Furys, etc. The biggest deciding factor is weight. A heavy P-51 will be harder to fly than a light Corsair, or whatever you guys consider a ''hard to fly'' warbird design.

Or a heavy corsair (my royal .60 size one weighing 14 pounds stock with lots o' fiberglass and resin) will fly worse than a lite weight p-51
Ah Lord Sesshomaru how right you are!

from Jaken and Rin
Lol Sesshomaru is an R/C God, obviously.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd tell you the Hangar 9 P-47. Yea Top Flight this and that, but if you want one that flies well and you aren't worried about winning a scale contest, you can't beat Hangar 9.

Top Flight is more scale, Hangar 9 flies better. The elliptical giant wing and wide spread gear are great confidence boosters.

For power, I recommend at least a OS 91 pump and 14X7 3 blade, but would go with the 120 and 15X7 3 blade instead. The OS 120 with the pump is good while you are learning in case you have a noob moment and yank it off too fast you'll have the power to get control. Don't ask me how I know. Plus they balance better with the 120.

I've had experience with almost all of the Hangar 9 warbirds and they fly the best.

My first was the Hangar 9 P-51 with the OS 120 pumped and 15X7 3 blade and I still love it almost 7 years later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40842.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1523285  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Flak

Eugene,
You will get all sorts of opinions here. Whatever model you decide on, don't allow it to intimidate you! Once you throttle up, take off, roll out and are airborne, enjoy your twenty minutes. Make a couple circuits of the pattern to get the feel of the airplane. Trim her out if you can or have someone assist you. Make a few passes over the length of the runway to be able to land if you need to. When taking off, be aware you may have to apply a little right rudder. Don't let he jump into the air if you can avoid it. In the event she does, keep the none down and gently climb out. Low rate for elevator is usually more than enough to take off. When landing, don't get her too slow to avoid a tip stall. Bring her in and as the wheels touch the ground, reduce power more. Watch for her tail wheel to touch and set, reducing more power, and then pin the tail. Now you can taxi back at low speed. Some Warbirds land faster than others. Each is different. Here is a couple of videos of me flying my Top Flite Gold Edition P-51. There was a nasty little cross wind on landing. I got too slow, but saved her anyway. This was not one of my better landings, but the video will describe what I have written about here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolyGD5EFY8 I wish you the best in regards to your pursuit of Warbird flying.
I watched your video. Very nice P51. Your P51 flies similar to my World models midget mustang. The midget mustang is a cheap way to get experience flying something that handles like a war bird. It has fixed gear, and I bought mine nib for 100.00 from the other RC airplane web sight. I put a Saito .100 in mine. Flew very fast. On an earlier post someone said the covering is awful, I concur with that. I am currently recovering mine and i am going to put a OS .91 FX on it.
Definitely a plane that you have to use rudder on and is a whole lot of fun to fly.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

He must mean the giant scale one.

Also I honestly don't find that any one warbird is any harder or easier to fly than another from a subject standpoint. By that I mean I have flown Corsairs, Stukas, Fw-190s, P-47s, P-51s, Sea Furys, etc. The biggest deciding factor is weight. A heavy P-51 will be harder to fly than a light Corsair, or whatever you guys consider a ''hard to fly'' warbird design.

If you have a lot of stick time as you do you may not think so. For those of us that have a lot of hours flying these things controlling them comes naturally to us. We are at the point where everything is done by reflex action we don`t have to think before we do something. Now are you telling me that a Brian Taylor or Don Smith P51 flies the same like a TF GE. There are differences to how warbirds of the same model from difference designers fly. Ever flew the Don Smith P51 and a Bud Nosen P51. Two totally different flying planes. The Bud Nosen P51 a buddy of mine crawled it in on a landing while we were screaming at him to add power. He didn`t and all the plane did was pancake down from about 10 feet up. Now try that a Don Smith , Brian Taylor or an old TF or Sig. I bet you going out to it with a garbage bag.

Now the thing about light warbirds. I have had heavy 60 size warbirds, Jamara P51 at 15 lbs, T6s, Old Sig P51 and they flew great nice and solid in winds and hot days. Now I have the H9 T6 under 10 lbs and anything over 15 mph winds its all over the place.
Warbirds over 80" need some weight. Too light and they fly like crap. Met a pilot at WOD with a Ziroli T6 a few years ago, said he had to add 5 lbs to the T6 in order to stabilize it. Said it was too light and flew like crap. Ziroli Bear, Stuka, Zero, Meister Me 109s, P47s and other flies a lot better over 30 lbs. These planes wing design can take the weight and still be very forgiving. We had 2 Meister Me 109s. One about 30-32 lbs the other about 38 maybe even 40 lbs. Both with G62s. The heavier one was a hell of lot more stable flew on rails.
Come next year I should have my 78' Stuka ready and its going to be at least 20 lbs I`ll make sure of that.

Now one more thing if any newbie want to get a P51 and get LUCKY to find a Bud Nosen P51 Grab it. It is hands down the easiest p 51 close to scale to start on. The plane is so forgiving its ridiculous. The easiest giant warbird to fly. Same with the Bud Nosen P47.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 AM
91zulu

This was the light 109, was sold.

Name:	Us54148.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1523298  
Old 10-26-2010, 12:19 AM
91zulu

The Big Miss America is the Bud Nosen that was pancake in . The Small one is the Jamara .

Name:	Yw67304.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1523299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58586.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1523300  
Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 AM
91zulu

A better pic of the Bud Nosen. This plane was about 45 50 lbs with I think a Quadra 75. But flew very well. Fast too.

Name:	Us54575.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1523301  
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 AM
psb667

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

ORIGINAL: psb667

I also recomend the pt 19 as a lead up to a warbird. If you get used to the pt 19s stall characteristics then you will at least have a fighting chance with the p-40
so buying a complete Fairchild PT-19 ( along with the sevos, engine, accesories, etc) will give one a
fighting chance with a P-40? are you serious? what if one already bought the warbird?

you could and this may sound radical, use a buddy box with an experienced pilot.
I dont see anywhere that hes bought a warbird yet. The pt-19 has most of the bad habits that a p40 has with a real gentle disposition towards recovery. In my experience that is.(Im working on my second p-40 kit)
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Flak

The Warbird Trainer to Warbird Fighter is a great idea. However, some folks simply can not afford this route. Whatever aircraft one flies, a person with little flying experience should seek assistance from a more experienced flier, preferably with Warbird or at least low wing flying time.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Most of the guys with War Birds that are nosing over, don't have them correctly balanced. I am an advance jet/high performance instructor, and that is one of the biggest issue that I see is improper set up. The CG in the directions is the starting point of balance, that has to be continuely adjusted for the first couple flights, until the plane is flying, landing and taking off correctly. The P-47 is an excellent War Bird. Depending on your skill level, another good one to consider is the PT-19 from Great Planes or Dynaflight. Put a G-26 on it. If you go with TF p-47, put a G-62 on it. This of course is if you are going with the larger war birds. If you go with the .60 size, same planes, but smaller.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan
Most of the guys with War Birds that are nosing over, don't have them correctly balanced

Absolutely correct!

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan
The CG in the directions is the starting point of balance, that has to be continuously adjusted for the first couple flights, until the plane is flying, landing and taking off correctly
Now you hit a point where 99% of pilots don't do that. Ones they set the CG it stays there and they just "get used" to the airplane.

How many times I hear on the field the advice "warbird huh? - need to be nose heavy!" This advice comes from way in the past when there were no exponential settings on radios and servos with low resolution. To tame the fast birds just make them nose heavy and the tail feathers are less responsive (less wavy landing approaches).
This works may for an pilot who knows how to handle a bird like that - but a beginner busts many propellers and spinners...
This is flat out wrong.

It is pretty funny many here like to teach this guy to fly on the internet but just forget about the basics.

My advice - after you build your first warbird, let a experienced pilot check out your airplane. Directions and amount of throw of the control surfaces. You will be surprised how little warbirds need.
Ask him to be with you on the maiden - he can coach you if needed.

That said - good luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

solid advice G-Pete.
a see alot of people who balance their planes according to the manual, then use ridiculas
throw rates on the control surfaces. then they wonder why its a b**** too fly.they start moving
the cg more and more foward, making things worse. dunno if they want to throw it around
like a 3-D plane, but warbirds don't seem to like that much lol.

my first Warbird ( a P-40) was pretty much the first RC I ever flown, I set the cg according
to the manual, with minimum throws.nice scale flight, manuvers, takeoffs, and landings.
left it alone cause I figured it was pretty good.

now with this kit I'm building, its much bigger and much more scale and I will ask a more
experianced pilot then I too help with her maiden.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
G-Pete

Many times the suggested CG is way off with cheap Chinese ARF's - or even just not exist in the "manual".

Here is a good CG calculator [link=http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm]CG calculator click here[/link]
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

Many times the suggested CG is way off with cheap Chinese ARF's - or even just not exist in the ''manual''.

Here is a good CG calculator [link=http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm]CG calculator click here[/link]

Not just the cheap ones and not just ARFs. The CG calculator is an invaluable tool and I use it to find or verify the CG on every build.

There have been numerous complaints all over the boards about the CMP P40 especially having poor flight characteristics and losing a lot of planes on maiden. Usually, as posted above, it comes from a bad CG and excessive control throws. One of the guys at our field has been flying this P-40 for two or three years and it flys quite nicely. He tossed the suggested CG used a calculator to find the right CG and uses sensible throws. This is just one case, but I'm sure it is highly representative of what seems to be the most common problem and solution.

good job with the link Pete!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 PM
ncpweld
My Feedback: (11)

I gotta agree with Cowboy on his Hangar-9 take. For a first warbird , they can't be beat.
I had their P-40 and it had no bad habits, just got in the way of a Zero at my local field.Wish I could find another one.
All this happened last Dec. 7...Pearl Harbor Day....the irony. Go with a Hangar-9 or Kyosho arf.
Not exact to scale but close enough when you use the 50-50 rule.

Joe
Old 10-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: frets24

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

Many times the suggested CG is way off with cheap Chinese ARF's - or even just not exist in the ''manual''.

Not just the cheap ones and not just ARFs. The CG calculator is an invaluable tool and I use it to find or verify the CG on every build.

There have been numerous complaints all over the boards about the CMP P40 especially having poor flight characteristics and losing a lot of planes on maiden. Usually, as posted above, it comes from a bad CG and excessive control throws. One of the guys at our field has been flying this P-40 for two or three years and it flys quite nicely. He tossed the suggested CG used a calculator to find the right CG and uses sensible throws. This is just one case, but I'm sure it is highly representative of what seems to be the most common problem and solution.

good job with the link Pete!
I assume the cmp owner changed the wheels on his P-40? was he flying off a grass runway?
I ask becouse those cmp tiny main wheels + grass runways = interesting results.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
91zulu

Its nice we are all here putting in our 2ct trying to help and all. But aahhhh Eugene.. you there? Earth to Eugene come in please.It would help if you chime in here and at least us know about what it is EXACTLY you are looking at in terms of ...size meaning 40 , 60, 120, giant 80" and up. Do you prefer American plane over Japanese or German or maybe you are tired of the same old stuff you see at every flying field and thinking of doing a Mig 3 or a Yak or a plane that never made it past prototype. Come on now we would like to know at least what planes you are thinking of and what size. Because cost can also be a factor, for many they choose the smaller birds when they truly would rather a giant size but think it would be too expensive. You have to speak up maybe someone on here would give you a plane to start with because they are bored with it. I did it a few times hell come next year if my Stuka is ready I am giving away my H9 T6. Not with my TT91 or receiver though. No sir.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

Its nice we are all here putting in our 2ct trying to help and all. But aahhhh Eugene.. you there? Earth to Eugene come in please.It would help if you chime in here and at least us know about what it is EXACTLY you are looking at in terms of ...size meaning 40 , 60, 120, giant 80'' and up. Do you prefer American plane over Japanese or German or maybe you are tired of the same old stuff you see at every flying field and thinking of doing a Mig 3 or a Yak or a plane that never made it past prototype. Come on now we would like to know at least what planes you are thinking of and what size. Because cost can also be a factor, for many they choose the smaller birds when they truly would rather a giant size but think it would be too expensive. You have to speak up maybe someone on here would give you a plane to start with because they are bored with it. I did it a few times hell come next year if my Stuka is ready I am giving away my H9 T6. Not with my TT91 or receiver though. No sir.
91zulu,
Now if you get the urge to give away one of your warbirds, don't hesitate to include me in your list of charity recipients!!!

But seriously, somebody mentioned the Hangar 9 warbirds and I looked at their website. I admit I never much attention to their warbirds, but I see now how impressive they are!! I have a Fox 74 engine that needs a home...
Old 10-26-2010, 02:56 PM
91zulu

You know I have one of those too that needs a home. I want to put it in a Thompson racer though.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCER88

Want to prevent nose overs and have a warbird? go with a p39 trike gear. Makes it hard to nose over. The problem is you my have to find plans and scatch build it.

Weight is a HUGE factor in warbirds. A heavy warbird will have issues and make it more likely to even high speed snap if you turn to tight.

not so my buddy brian on here Snomobila has one! she just needs engine, electronics, and the foam wings to be sheeted.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hell no get a kadet LT-40 arf with a o.s. .61 two storke or .70 four stroke!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Rc Overkill
My Feedback: (6)

Kadet LT40 I did not know that was a warbird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.