Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What is the gratest warbird of all time (non jets)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
B-29
2.56%
P-51 Mustang
41.37%
P-47 Thunderbolt
12.65%
Sopwith Camel
1.37%
P-40
3.08%
F4U Corsair
13.50%
none of these i'll tell you in the rest of the forum
11.28%
BF-109
5.47%
Fokker Dr.I
1.20%
The Supermarine Spitfire
7.52%
Voters: 585. You may not vote on this poll

What is the gratest warbird of all time (non jets)

Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What is the gratest warbird of all time (non jets)

ORIGINAL: gtobil

The Mustang is the best looking plane and had the greatest impact. In fact it is regarded by some as one of the best pieces of indutrial art and design of the 20th century. If it had been operational sooner the F8F Bearcat would have made quite an impact. The Germans...because they were so focused on being EVIL could not make proper use of their technology and relied on obsolete designs. The BF 109 and Mustang, P-47 and Bearcat are really from different eras.
This is very much a matter of opinion. Planes like the P-47, are what gave the experienced pilots life to even be in the P-51. I can't dispute it's attractive lines, who would. But this statement is just way overstating it's impact. The allies were going to win that war. Germany had some of the worst military leaders in history and Hitler is right at the top. IMO, the war could have been won had the P-51 never existed. It may have taken a little longer, but the result would have been the same. US and British industry marched on, while the German counterpart was whittled away. Industry won that war, not the P-51. This is why one has to wonder when we see industry shrink and be transferred oversees, as it has in this country. Industry is power, not the words of leaders.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto that Ram, and note: that power of industry is not the sugar coated import version that is blinding many Americans today. That is called made in America when it is only assembled here. The real power is in manufacturing, the actual cutting of the parts, not assembly. Mind you, there are those that will argue this point, because the imports do 90% of the machining, send the parts here, the other few cuts are made, then assembly. That was not the reality of the 1940's. Back then we did it all. My point is, the real power in industry is in manufacturing not assembly. Back on point, I do really like the P-51 for it's lines and my next build will be a P-47 for its brute strength. Really loved the story of Robert S Johnson. On his first mission over the English Channel he returned with over 100 bullet holes in his aircraft. The Fw190 only broke off because he ran out of ammo. When you really boil it down, I like them all. Like the pilots that flew them, they had to beleive that their aircraft was the best or they wouldn't survive.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed

Sorry thread starter at101 .............. But these people don't know the difference between prop driven planes, and jets. Amazing mentality here !
Oops, sorry. Kinda spaced out that part of it. There have been so many of these "best" threads, I sorta lost track. My post was a weak attempt at a joke. It was obviously not too funny.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: Ed

Sorry thread starter at101 .............. But these people don't know the difference between prop driven planes, and jets. Amazing mentality here !
Oops, sorry. Kinda spaced out that part of it. There have been so many of these ''best'' threads, I sorta lost track. My post was a weak attempt at a joke. It was obviously not too funny.
Keep trying. Humor is a good thing.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:11 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All around, got to be the C-47
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74891.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1594191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40958.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1594192  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P-51D Mustang is AWESOME! Courtesy Aricraft has 3 nice P-51's for sale, but I need $1,700,000.00 plus tax and fuel money to buy one. Come on POWERBALL! Oh well, my R/C's will be fine for now.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JGrc

RE: What is the gratest warbird of all time (non jets) ?

the DH Hornet?
In terms of pure prop fighter performance, that is probably it.

Sadly, no complete Hornets or Sea Hornets exist now.
http://www.dhhornet50.net/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Hornet