Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

retracts

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
hydrolazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retracts

i just purchased a used but new top flite giant mustang 84.5 wingspan arfwith the checkerboard nosethe wing halves are already joined and the mains are in place. my question is ..is it too late to install retracts?if not has anyone ever did it? thanks for any help in advance
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: retracts

Go to the Top Flite website: http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0700.html. They say there that you can mount retracts in the same mounting as the fixed gear. Also you can download the assembly manual for both the ARF and the kit. These should give you all the info you need to install the retracts.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: hydrolazer

i just purchased a used but new top flite giant mustang 84.5 wingspan arf with the checkerboard nosethe wing halves are already joined and the mains are in place. my question is ..is it too late to install retracts?if not has anyone ever did it? thanks for any help in advance

You say it's used. And the mains are in place. Look at 'em and decide whether or not they're going to be easy to remove. As easy or hard as that is, the electrics from H9 and LADO are dead simple to put in the holes that hold whatever is there now. Then you plug them in to a Y harness. done. Figure on an hour a side if you have to do anything extra other than screw 'em in. Like fish the wire around something. Usually the install is a piece of cake.

If you're planning on air, then figure on an evening or two to place each side and an evening or two to place the air tank and a month to a year to get the hoses in and working without leaks. OK, that's not entirely true.... for everybody..... depends on how good and experienced you are. But air has driven a fair proportion of users crazy, and a few out of the hobby.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is an example of gear made for your plane. http://www.robart.com/products/top-f...-main-retracts $311.43, plus the on-board control and air equipment, and field support things like the pump. The tail retract is additional as well, and they also have that. You'll likely have about $500 in the whole project if you go with all new equipment and supplies, and a good week of evenings doing the install. Personally, a fighter like this without retracts just doesn't do it for me. I gotta see those gear tucked up where they belong on those high speed passes. Retracts add complexity, additional maintenance and value, and sometimes frustration to a plane, when but they are worth it IMO. Hope it works out for you and your P-51.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
spaceworm

Didn't/doesn't Top Flite have the optional retracts available or referenced? If they ae mechanical and otherwise suitable, then possibly the new electric add on actuator system might work for you?

Sincerely, Richard
Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the thing I have found. Most OEM retracts are junk. With retracts, don't go cheap, and don't go minimum rating. You will regret it. There are enough issues with them without dealing with inferior designs and materials. Also, those music wire struts are way too week for a giant scale plane. Use good equipment from a company that specializes in gear, and you will be glad you did.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM
prop wash

No problem if you use robarts retracts.They just drop in and thats it.The hoses and tank are no problem either.I have two TFGS P51s and robarts in both and no problems.I did have a leak in one hose but used a little dish soap and that was it.I have nothing bad to say about the robart retracts.But thats my opinion.Tom p.s.I have a H9 GS P47 with their electrics and have had trouble with them.If I ever replace them it will be with air retracts.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I agree with Prop Wash. Robart makes the drop in retracts for the TF GS P51. You can get the mains and tail from Tower. I've flown mine with well over 60 flights with the original Robart set in my P51.
Air systems have been around since the 80's, and they're proven system for giant scale applications. I own more than 20 sets and like them.
I have not seen impressed with reliability with the large electric retracts.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Magnum RC

Or another option for these beautiful birds is Lado's... 
  http://magnumrc.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=129