Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Are all Top Flite warbirds stand off scale?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Are all Top Flite warbirds stand off scale?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are all Top Flite warbirds stand off scale?

ORIGINAL: ARUP

If you are building for non-competiton, then 'no worries' if you build it the way you want it to look. If someone has negative comments then let them know you will glady exchange yours for theirs and they can 'fix' it! If building for competition then find 'good' documentation, understand the 'rules of engagement' in scale competition, compete, learn and have fun. Personally, I'm not 'into' competition because they are all 'pretty'. Just like beauty pagents... most of the contestants are very attractive- not too many unattractive ones!
I'm not into competition either. I'm just interested the history of aviation during WWII. And an accurate reprensentation thereof.
The way I see it, the most accurate WarBird is one that has all the grease, grime, bangs, dings, & weathering just like in the
battle field. and thats how I'm going tobuild mine."factory fresh" does nothing for me.

right now I'm doing all the hydraulic, electrical, etc lines behind the instrument panel. 99% of the people who see my P-40
won't even notice.. lol. heres some pics of parts not found in any plans.

this is for my Top Flite Gold Edition KIT. still have to make it more presentable

here the instrument panel with gunsight

and with a working gunsight light

Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of Realism check out these models ... They may not be capable of flight but are unbelieavable, just the same ... http://rojasbazan.com/video.htm
Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
ProScaleRc

ORIGINAL: dvs1

The prop is static which i know they didnt use uncuffed till after the war, will probably switch out for cuffed.

Here is some of the pics I have of the doors. The only problem is the inner doors should have a slightly closer gap of about 3/8 of an inch. You cannot do
that with a Top Flite mustang without completely rebuilding the landing gear mounting structure and moving everything inboard. Since mine is not 100% scale it did
not matter that much.

Thanks that. May I ask where you got your spinner from. Aerotech makes the props, but I can't find dummy spinners...

Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 PM
dvs1

The spinner is also Aerotech. It is scale 5.5 inch however. My cowl is by Spychalla and was made to scale proportions.

Just in case the question arises. So far options are Aerotech scale spinner and prop, guns, drop tank pylons, inner and outer gear doors, and small cast resin scale
accessories. Canopy is functional sliding but is the Original Aerotech made for their composite mustang, some time was taken to build up the fuselage to make it fit perfectly.
They now have one specifically designed for the Top Flite mustang.
Gear is Sierra, and wheels are also Aerotech.
As said earlier cowl is by Spychalla.
Cockpit is Dbalsa
Aluminum is Aerofoil by Meister scale.

Most of the options took little time to install, Even the Gear doors took very little time. Probably spent more time measuring and marking everything
right then actual cutting and installation.

To be perfectly honest before I started this project I really wanted the Aerotech mustang but didnt want to spend the cash. I had The Top Flite Mustang partially assembled
and just figured it made more sense to just modify it to what I wanted. Its still not finished however, still awaiting some paint, dry stencil markings, servos and mounting engine.
I also decided to run all control rods internally instead of externally.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
dvs1

OK just take down the Chandelier above the front door and hang the P-51 there. Looks great. would you sell it to me for $200 shipped? Sorry.
I wish I could not enough room But seriously that shelf is a good place for me to store planes when I not working on them for a while. I have it bad for starting something new before finishing my last plane. Probably going to hang on to this one though at least till I can afford a Sist FW-190
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
v6goose

Thanks for the details DVS...

[edit] Oh! and you your P-51 looks outstanding. Congrats...

Goose