Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/4 SCALE BUSA FOKKER D-VII ENGINES ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/4 SCALE BUSA FOKKER D-VII ENGINES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
JBryson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 SCALE BUSA FOKKER D-VII ENGINES ?

Building a 1/4 scale Fokker D-VII and would like input on the powerplant to use. New to rc and have bought the Zenoah G-26 as was recommended in the plans but am beginning to think I may be underpowered when reading some of the other posts. Need suggestions please as I don't want to proceed any further until I'm sure which engine is right. My elevation here in Lubbock is 3200 ft. HELP!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any and all input. John
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 AM
STUKA BARRY

Default RE: 1/4 SCALE BUSA FOKKER D-VII ENGINES ?

ORIGINAL: JBryson

Building a 1/4 scale Fokker D-VII and would like input on the powerplant to use. New to rc and have bought the Zenoah G-26 as was recommended in the plans but am beginning to think I may be underpowered when reading some of the other posts. Need suggestions please as I don't want to proceed any further until I'm sure which engine is right. My elevation here in Lubbock is 3200 ft. HELP!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any and all input. John
A G-26 will be marginal, the DLE30 will work fine. For alittle more performance, the Fox 2.4 would be an excellant choice. Actually the Zenoah G-38 being a rear exhaust would be a good choice too.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been flying the Balsa USA 1/4th Scale Fokker DVII for 3 years. One of my favorite airplanes. Balsa USA has grossly underpowered their plane on the plans. Talking to Mark and Dave at Balsa USA they did this on purpose to keep the cost down and make it more attractive to purchase. That does not make it the right engine.

What you need is 50cc swinging a large 24 X 6 prop. It brings the airplane to life with lots of air flow over the tail surfaces for good control and flight performance. Check out this YouTube video of mine flying on a DA-50 with a XOAR 24 X 6. The beauty of this combination is that you don't need to be at full throttle all the time and it looks and sounds better. Even with this engine combination it still took 2 lbs. of lead in the nose to balance and the tail is just covered with Solartex. Go figure.

The video and flight performance speak for themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S97HAXtL1n4

Leo Spychalla
Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built 4 of these planes, installed the biggest gas engine I could into it which were G-38, q-35 and US-41... I like the the Us-41 the best turning a 20x8 prop... I would not consider going smaller it is just to big of a airplane.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
JBryson

THANKS STUKA AND LEO! ENJOYED THE VIDEO, VERY NICE PLANE. WILL MOVE UP TO AT LEAST THE G38, MAYBE LARGER. WAS PLANNING ON DOWNLOADING SOME PICS OF MINE BUT WAS TOLD THE FILE WAS TOO LARGE. WHEN I FIGURE THAT OUT I'LL DOWN LOAD A FEW OF MY BUILD. THANKS AGAIN.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine flys nicely on a Magnum 180 four-stroke. Very scale.

Cruises at 1/2 throttle, full throttle take off roll is about 100 ft.

Needs a slight dive to do a loop but then again its a WW1 plane

not a F-86.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with a FA-220 for the D-VII.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Nece (08-22-2021)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If OS had been smarter they would have made the Exhaust on the other side of the cylinder. There are LOTS of WWI Mercedes powered models out there looking.. nae.. Dreaming of a decent engine.

A Price drop wouldn't hurt either..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57728.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1534675  
Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

If OS had been smarter they would have made the Exhaust on the other side of the cylinder. There are LOTS of WWI Mercedes powered models out there looking.. nae.. Dreaming of a decent engine.

A Price drop wouldn't hurt either..
They really screwed that up I believe. That engine was supposed to be a tribute to the original owner who loved the Albatros.

Anyway, I would love to have a 50 cc in one of these DVII's. It looks like so much fun to fly. I would like to build one for more fun flying than the scaled out version I have. The DVII is such a fun aerobatic plane, mine just will not do those types of manuevers with the G38.
Remember, a very important mod is to use a solid 1/4" music wire Axel. The stock axel is too weak and bends quickly.