Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Storing Epoxy Resin

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Storing Epoxy Resin

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:45 PM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Storing Epoxy Resin

The last time I bought some West System epoxy I was forced to buy a larger quantity than I would have liked due to no stock of smaller bottles at my local supplier.

The resin itself seems to last OK but I have had the hardener go off before.

Now that the temps are rising in our part of the world with summer arriving I am wondering what is the best way to store the resin and hardener? I do have a fridge in my workshop which I use to store my CA adhesives and other essentials ( such as beer!!! ), should I store the resin and/or hardener in there?

My workshop is a steel shed with a dark blue roof and temperatures regularly reach well over 100 degrees F in there.

Cheers

Mick
Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Storing Epoxy Resin

ive had some west systems in the cans for years in my basement . it isnt bad yet
Old 12-15-2010, 05:10 PM
mboland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just had to abandon the shed as the temp hit 36 deg C (>95F) and storing resins and glues through summer in such a condition is always a concern.

I have an old fridge in the shed, set at minimum temp (or maximum, whichever way you look at it), not cold but just keeping things cool.
That is where I store all volatiles, including paints, thinners, resins, fillers, etc, etc.

It has saved me a lot of wasted chemicals in the past few years, and is worth every penny of it's meagre running costs.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
BOLTMAN

ORIGINAL: mboland

I have an old fridge in the shed, set at minimum temp (or maximum, whichever way you look at it), not cold but just keeping things cool.
That is where I store all volatiles, including paints, thinners, resins, fillers, etc, etc.

That sounds like a good idea but it does not suit the beer I keep in the shed fridge!!!!!!!!!!!

Will the epoxy store alright at the very cold temp of the beer fridge?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Hmm, I have had a gallon of resin and two quarts of hardner in my garage for three years. All have the pumps on them and I just used some a week ago, was just like the day I opened it. And we get some temps in Florida, 90's+ and tonight's going into the 20's.[X(]

Here's West's take on cold and hot, and long term storage.
http://www.wessex-resins.com/westsys...e-bonding.html
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
BOLTMAN

Thanks for that, there is some good info there.

I guess the critical point relevant to storing resin in the fridge is............

"WEST SYSTEM materials should be stored above 10°C with the container caps screwed down tightly"
Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 AM
skipper_gr

I have used WEST products for years in boat repair and the cold weather has never been a problem. Once I has a situation where the boat would be moved outside int zero degree weather during cure time of the epoxy. So I called WEST & they told me that it was okay in that if the product got very cold, curing would stop and then continue when the ambient temp returned to normal. And this is exactly what happened! It is a great product use their pumps and you can't go wrong.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm building top fuel funnycar for one of the better teams and I'm using West Epoxy to install all of the 'tin' mounts and the hatch railing as well as a few other modifications. I also use the 610 epoxy adhesive in the caulking gun tubes. The stuff is very strong and easy to apply if you warm it up a bit. It's 65 in the shop and the stuff is a bit thick in it's natural state. I just hange a drop light in the cardboard box that I keep the cans and tubes stored. I use a heat lamp in the areas I'm working on. The resin wets so nice. It actually flows by itself. You really don't have to completely wet it out. It spreads more or less by itself. It's really nice when you are working overhead under the body.

As far as storing it West said about the same as previously noted. Don't get it too cold. Just leave the pumps in the containers. That's hard to do after tossing a bunch of polyester out after a month or so.