Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire CARF-Models 2011 Build Thread. Started by Lazy Eight & WARBIRDRCER

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire CARF-Models 2011 Build Thread. Started by Lazy Eight & WARBIRDRCER

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM
tahfiet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire CARF-Models 2011 Build Thread. Started by Lazy Eight & WARBIRDRCER

Hi Cory!

Hard to give an advice, without knowing you and your skills personally. A friend of mine started flying with big warbirds half a year after he had his first rc-flight ever. The one thing I do not understand is people talking others into getting IMAC or pattern airplanes to start with. In my opinion, that is complete bs. Why? You do not get a feeling for a scale airplane flying an overpowered aerobatic plane with low wingloading. Landing an aerobatic airplane is completely different to a "heavy" scale model.

The best way to get into whatever kind of flying is to have someone who's already into it. Is there anyone near you, who can assist you for the first flights? That would be much better than watching IMAC planes land with high AOA and full up-elevator. That will not work on your Spitfire

120m is long enough for the Spitfire. I am building one at the moment and we are flying on a strip that is the same length. Mainly I fly jets from that field, from fast sport-jets to big and heavy scale-jets (Airworld Cougar and L-39). If you really do want to get started with warbirds, the Spitfire from C-ARF is a good start. Not too much to build, not too many tricky details and a relatively low wing-loading. It just has a narrow track, but that's what makes the difference...

David
Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Aussie Roo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spitfire CARF-Models 2011 Build Thread. Started by Lazy Eight & WARBIRDRCER

Hey David,

Don't hold back mate, why don't you tell us what you really think?! Difference of opinion is fine, encouraged even, but some common politeness to ones fellow aeromodeller cost nothing but pays big dividends. An IMAC compy would simply be a stepping stone from a 60 size to a 2.6m warbird. And while it's not ideal, it would be a smaller step than going from 60 size to the 2.6 warbird in one go. Just trying to be helpful mate. Yours is a good suggestion but I'm doubtful that it's available to Cory otherwise he would have surely done that already. But hey, if you have to track some one down and travel some to find out more, go for it.

See you later.

Rupert
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 AM
cavery
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys,

Thanks you very much for the comments and advice, you definitely givem me some things to consider. I've been flying for 3 years, and I have been flying exclusively Warbirds so far. I trained on a 40 size Hangar 9 arf, and all of my airplanes since have also been Warbirds. As I mentioned before, the largest I have flown to date is a 69" spit ARF. One of the best IMAC pilots at the field is one of the guys who has been encouraging me to get the CARF Spit. I've asked him if he thinks I'm ready for it, and he feels, based on what he's seen, that I am. I have been thinking of getting a large scale aerobatic plane as well (Hangar 9 Beast), but at my heart I am really a Warbird guy.

If I were to get the smaller, 80" kit as a stepping stone, would that behave closer to the 70" 60 size arfs that I am used to flying?

As far as the CARF Spit goes, if I do get one, I'm going with a DL-85 along with the Keleo scale exhaust. Does anyone know of any photos of this install that I could examine? I've looked through the threads I can find here, but have seen nothing detailed yet. I've found some similar for other kits, but not the CARF Spit specifically.

Cory
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 AM
crashproof

I have been flying four almost 5 years after many years involved in rather high end RC Racing. When I began I did the usual thing started with a trainer, Then a 4 Star 60. My heart as you indicate as well was with WW 2 Warbirds. Started with 60 sizes then moved up to 80 inchers then to the Top Flite line which is mid 80's. I now have moved up to the 100 inch kits and I have a few observations. First in regards to simply flying the larger you go the better they fly. I think in this regard the weight and mass work in your favor. The obvious glaring diff in my opinion is the taking off and landing of a large heavier Warbird. The use of rudder is a must in both of these, and the smaller Warbirds have some level of floatability that will no longer be there as you fly larger Warbirds. The emphasis becomes how well you set up and execute the take off and landings. If you get in trouble on TO and simply try to power your way up and out you risk tipstall. With smaller Wbirds this can many times be done. With giant Wbirds you must touch down and roll out properly because if not this is the point the extra weight will work against you. All this being said the path I took is the only one I can speak to and it worked for me. Wingspan in my mind is not an indication of moving up in ability when it comes to Warbirds, but weight is, in my mind this is where the diff. lies. Good luck, Kevin.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Aussie Roo

Cory,

There are some photos on the Keleo website, here's the link: http://www.keleo-creations.com/index...age=page&id=13

I am using this set up but modifying it a bit - not using the fly wire filter stuff as this only restricts airflow and making the outlet holes under the radiators bigger. in an earlier post I wrote a description of my install so far. it's not complicated if you break it down into stages but you do need lots of patience. Get the ceramic coating to, it will be worth it. I am still working on my install and will have photos here eventually but not for some time.

Re moving up from 60 to 2.6 metres, it took me a while to adjust to the size. Folk kept asking why I was flying so far away and without realising I was at a distance where it looked about 60 size. this didn't matter most of the time except on landing approach I had a bit of difficulty judging the correct speed. Being cautious I usually came it too hot but after practising approaches '3 mistakes high' I got more confident at judging a slower - but still safe - flying speed approach.

Rupert
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Lab Doc
My Feedback: (4)

I've just received my C-ARF Spit and see a lot of possibilities for this ARF. One question that arises is regarding the control throws. Anyone out there have any info on a good starting point for the ailerons other than the manual's "all you can get"? Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 AM
scooter

Hi if your looking for a muffler for a DA85 I have one forsale check out BUY&SELL
Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lab Doc,

How is the Spitfire coming? Have you decided on the throws yet?

For my Warbirds I normally start with 75% servo throw on high rate and 50% on low rate for ailerons and elevators with -25 on their expos. I leave the rudder at 100% for both rates, same -25 on expo. I must also add I fly Futaba, so expo may very on other radios.

My reasoning is when I takeoff I want to lesson the chance of an under controlled aircraft, while having the option to switch to low rates if an over controlled aircraft is encountered. Some however choose max throw and just finesse the sticks, but I prefer the other option.

Also for me, if I takeoff and find an out of balance, or trim situation that results in abrupt changes in pitch and/or bank, I reduce my power setting slowly to reduce airflow over the control services. This usually assists me in recovering smoother control changes and allows for a more controlled landing. Then retrim and try again

Let me know how you are doing.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:24 AM
p38mike
My Feedback: (3)

Hi All. Just a quick general Spitfire question. I just assembled an ESM 89" Spitfire and after ten flights added the scale radiator scoops. However now the plane seems a bit less stable. Do most people block them off on one or both ends, screen them or leave them open? Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
sbeecham

Hi Guys, After about 9months building my CARF Spitty is ready to paint.
After so much trouble trying to get a DA 85 to fit in the cowel I decided to scrap to scrap it and go to the DA 60 with a canister muffler to make sure I get under th 96db noise requirement for our club.
I wonder is anyone has advise on elev trim mixing with the flaps? Does it have a tendency to pitch up or down when flaps are lowered.
Thanks all and keep up the good work.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
scooter

Hi, is there any pilot who has a comp arf spitfire and with a keleo muffler that has had there db reading check could you let me know what thay are.
thanks scooter
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
hawleaboy

Hi all,

I'm enjoying following the thread. Does the wing disassemble into 2 pieces or is it a single wing (glued) together?

cheers,

Chris
Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Lab Doc

The wing is two piece, joined at the center with an aluminum joiner tube. Four bolts hold the wing to the fuse.

Doc
Old 07-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Lab Doc

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I have a question about the engine mounting and alignment in this bird. I'm installing a DA-85 engine with a JTEC inverted pitts muffler in this project. I mounted the engine flush with the firewall with a 3/32" washer under the engine mounting lugs and I'm using a Sierra 1.5" prop hub extension. The problem I'm running into is the spinner backplate isn't even with the front of the cowl, with a very visible and singnificant gap on the right side (about 5/32" ) while the left side is about 1/16". Anyone else whose building this kit have this same issue? The problem is do I now asymmetrically mount the engine on the firewall with a wedge rather than a uniform ply plate of 3/32", or do I modify the back end of the cowl to match the engine? The latter would make the back end of the cowl asymmetrical. The former would create a right engine thrust line. Your input is appreciated.

For those of you installing a full depth cockpit, how deep from the window ledge did you go?

Since a full cockpit will interfere with the stock servo installation for the rudder and elevator, did anyone place them far behind the cockpit or move the whole tray in front of the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40112.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1783667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50978.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1783668  
Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 PM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

I aligned and mounted the cowl to the fuselage then attached a jig matching the spinner back plate section of the cowl with a center hole. following I inserted a 1/4" carbon fiber tube with a pencil attached at the end to mark the trust center spot on the firewall (the jig was made of 1/4 plywood with a small thick section a the center so the tube stays centered).
There is a slight right and down trust molded into the cowl.
I also didn't follow any of the instructions except for the CG location as for the servo mounting I selected slightly forward of the wing trailing edge which allowed to install one piece carbon-fiber tube from servo to control horn for the elevator. My cockpit is fully detailed and goes down almost to the level of the wing saddle (rudder pedals).
Good luck on the project and keep the pictures coming!
Bruno

Name:	Ki20507.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1783682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80795.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1783683  
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Lab Doc

Thanks flyingchef. I thought that's what needs to happen. Guess I'll need to do some fitting. Did you do anything about the raised screws on the cowl? I'm planning on flattening them out and replacing them with flat head slotted screws. It seems that there needs to be weight added to the nose anyway. I also found some #6 countersunk flat washers which look very much like the ones on the full scale Dzus fasteners.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Bumble.bee78
My Feedback: (11)

I have a 3W 85xi red head on the CARF Spitfire. Can anyone advise me on which size prop to use for best performance. 26x12 or 28x10
Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 AM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

I had the same engine in my CARF Spitfire, 42 lbs, was using a 26X10 at sea level and 25X10 at mile high (Denver)
Hope this help!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Not exactly the red head 3W-85 but another input.
Last year at Warbirds over Delaware. I saw a nice Comp arf spitfire. Owner used a 24-12 (3 blade) mejzlik on DA-85 with a 1inch Sierra prop Extension to allow a deeper engine. I plan to use same combo on mine as I think a Spit should have 3 blade prop. I don't recall the weight.
here is pic of intake and plug cap just poking out behind it. Good luck.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	2024124  

Last edited by FireBee; 08-20-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Typo's.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Lab Doc

Any pictures on the air exit setup? That's an awfully big air intake opening. It has to come out somewhere, hopefully 2-1/2 to 3 times larger. I'm considering routing the air into the wings and exiting from the scale radiator and oil coolers.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:39 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Originally Posted by lazy eight
I droped it off today. sob. Will still have a chance to see it get done. Eric is a top notch builder and I live close by so I will be posting just as if I was duing the build. So stay tuned.!!

James Peters
Jim, Eric did a fine job, however he has turned over ownership to me. This model will be finished possibly before the end of summer. We'll post photos as time moves along. Sure hope the exhaust ports keep things cool. We'll post photos of Eric's work shortly.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 AM
f4u1 pilot

Good to see this thread coming back to life!
Old 08-30-2015, 03:39 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thinking of putting a DA100 inline twin in it. Have a DA 85 and 5 lbs of ballast. Anybody try this?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:20 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look what came in the mail today! Hope this will move it along. Lots of baffling and removal of 5lbs of lead in the nose should make this plane fly and sound great... I've also enclosed a picture of it flying at our local Warbirds over West Texas (pic courtesy of Terry Dunn) It's a great flyer and very predictable after we got the bugs out of the gear.

Name:	IMG_5620.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2118754   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca-spit.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	2118763  

Last edited by patrnflyr; 09-07-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 AM
TJC333

That is one beautiful engine. Will it fit inside the cowling without the carbs or mufflers sticking out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.