Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Likes and dislikes when building?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Likes and dislikes when building?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Likes and dislikes when building?

I'll add another one.

I hate poop in my shop. I'll explain. I have three shop areas, two in the basement, and one in a room off the back of the garage. I can only use it in the spring summer and fall because it has no heat. It is also the only route the dogs take on there way to do there business, so the back door of it has to be left open. When the weather is bad, they don't bother to go the last few feet, and get there little paws all wet. [:@] I wind up having to clean the stuff up. I put up with this crap (literally) because my wife loves the dogs, and I have loved my wife for almost 38 years now.

Solution, I will build a deck off the dinning room, take out the window and install french doors. This will be the new exit for the dogs and my shop will finally be closed for 'business'.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

ORIGINAL: NCIS

What is youre favorite and least favorite parts of building a Warbird or any model for that matter. Plan builds, Arfs, and kits alike! Mine is the part just before the fun part. I hate to sand everything to get it ready for glass. My favorite part is framing and painting including the detail work. I just wish I was a good enough builder that I would never have to sand anything. It makes a dusty mess and takes forever to get everything perfect. How about you. Plus show your favorite model after completion.
hey barry ever get that over sized corsair done? the one you needed a custom cowl for?
Still working on it but getting there. I made the cowl myself and it came out good. I am all done framing and am ready to install the wing joiner system so I'll have a 3 piece wing. Here it is with one panel on and I'm just waiting for my friend to come over this weekend to move the fuse to my build table so I can set the right panel. It ended up comeing out to almost 126" and 8 feet long.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93207.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1556869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41027.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1556870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39802.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1556871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19812.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1556872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78389.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1556873  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
lightning 759

hi
not to keen on covering which ever method i try
my real hate is the strip placking hate it with a passion but just cant get the hang of it

andy
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

I hate losing stuff in my shop which is only 12x16. Just today I was looking for the cowl for my 1/3d Waco which I flew for the last few seasons and am getting ready for TopGun. I cleaned it, repaired some chips, waxed and polished and put in a clear plastic baggie and put it in a safe place in my shop. Damn!!!! I can't find it now, Did I take it to my storage place in town?????? The cowl is big enough to surround the Moki radial. Asked my wife if she had seen it and she pointed to an upper shelf over a cabinet and there it sat. I had only looked from eye level down and couldn't find it. Age must be creeping up on me. Mitch
Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate glassing and sanding ,and here i go again. lol joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94869.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1556991  
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
NCIS

I have lost things and went out and bought replacements only to find everything when I clean up my shops. I hate to lose parts to one of my builds only to find them in the same box I put them in months before but forgot which box went to which build. Now I use a permanent marker and write the name of the plane and the date it was put away. Then I log it on my computer for future reference where I put it so I don't have to search the entire house and garage for it. Then if I can't find it I just ask my 16 year old son and in 5 minutes he has it for me.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate building a kit or arf that are the first run and not all the bugs are worked out. One ends up making changes to make it better or to fix a problem. But with kits and arts, I love seeing the thing coming together and becoming something. Then I like to sand and finish, ready to sheet, cover, sand, glue, FIBERGLASS, paint. I LOVE TO GLASS, IT MAKES THE FINISH SO FINE!!!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 PM
FlyWheel

I'm not into warbirds myself, but this thread really can apply to any plane, so I'll add my $0.02.

I love framing, in fact anything having to do with the wood; even trimming or fixing up badly cut parts. That would be my most favorite. LEAST favorite is anything having to do with the electronics. And that includes programming the TX.

That and maidening the plane, because that means the fun is really over.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:31 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you know this thread is like 4 years old...

Last edited by Greg Wright; 04-04-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM
FlyWheel

I beg to disagree. According to the post directly above mine, when I last posted it was barely 9 hours old.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:57 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I hate people dragging up threads 2+ years old and the cheapskates who think everything is to expensive if its more than what hobby king sells a similar item for.

I love everything else about the hobby.

oops...

this was about building:

likes- making every build better than the last

dislikes- sanding
Old 04-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Love setting up motors, control linkages, programming setups, maiden flights, adjustments after the maiden. Hate building, covering, lining up cowls/ canopy..
Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 AM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by invertmast
I hate people dragging up threads 2+ years old and the cheapskates who think everything is to expensive if its more than what hobby king sells a similar item for.

I love everything else about the hobby.
Why? Bringing up an old thread because 'you' may have another useful answer or tip that other's may find useful also brings up all the other answers and tips that wouldn't be there if 'you' had started a new thread instead. it also saves disk space on the server.

Originally Posted by invertmast
oops...

this was about building:

likes- making every build better than the last

dislikes- sanding
Oops, you were being sarcastic...?

Last edited by FlyWheel; 04-06-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:17 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

I love building - that's why I do it full-time. I do also love flying. But flying is part-time, depending on the weather.

John R.

www.rcaircraftworks.com
Old 04-10-2015, 12:11 PM
alanc

I hate hinging control surfaces